kv 3 vs. kv 2.2

pie5555

----------------

On 7/20/2005 8:22:05 PM kentmjohnson wrote:

Does anybody know what an excellent condition KV3 would go for nowadays? I have no idea.

----------------

I have a really nice KV 4, but noone even wants to make an offer, well, unless you count the offer I got for $90.00 plus shipping (LMAO). I think $200 plus shipping is a killer deal for the KV-4. So there you go....$200 for a nice KV-4!

----------------

On 7/20/2005 6:14:42 AM Frzninvt wrote:

There is no such thing as a KV 2.2 you must mean KG 2.2 I would go with the KG series for two reasons, 1) they have 6.5" woofers vs. 5.25", 2) they were designed to mate with KG series speakers.

----------------

I agree. I would even look for the KG2.5. They are a great match for the 5.5s and can be had for about less than $150/pr on ebay.

The KG-2.2V uses 6.5" woofers not 5.25" as someone else said. Also, be aware the KV-4 is not made to match the KG series, but rather the Tangent series -- I think. If you must use a pre-made center with your KG-5.5s then use a KV-3, KG-2.5, or KG-2.2 (note the latter two come in both shielded and non-shield varities if that matters). I highly recommend making a custom center using a Klipsch K-85-K horn (that's the same one in the 5.5s) because NONE of those off-the-shelf speakers will really keep up with 5.5s. Many people have modified existing speakers (use a 5.5, 5.2, 4.5, or 4.2 since they all use K-85-K horns) or even build one from scratch like I did. That's the only way to really get a seamless match. If you want to know more, I suggest you do some searches as there are many threads about my custom center as well as other peoples.

"Also, be aware the KV-4 is not made to match the KG series, but rather the Tangent series -- I think."

No the KV-4 was designed to match the CF series speakers CF1, CF2, CF3, & CF4.

While the KV-4 is a tremendous center I don't think that it would be a good match for the KG 5.5's but for $200 I would certainly give it a try. They sell for about $350-$400 on average so $200 plus shipping is certainly a bargain. I would buy it and I don't even have a use for it, it has a 2" horn compression driver with dual 8" woofer which makes it the most potent Klipsch ever put in a center speaker, the efficiency also clocks in at 99db/1W/1M making it one bad center. I have owned one on two ocassions and really liked them, I parted with my last one to score an Academy.

That's right, for some reason I was mistakeningly thinking the CF series was the Tangent series. But I was right about it not being at match for the KG-series (which is why I posted about it) and about the woofer size of the KG-2.2. 2.gif

I just thought of a great idea to try though. Use a KV-4 but replace its tweeter with the K-85-K horn (and driver) instead. I not sure, but based on pictures I've seen I think that should be a fairly easy to accomplish. Since the KV-4 horn lens is larger, it would require building a mounting plate that would fill that original horns hole, and that mounting plate would have the smaller K-85-K attached to it. You might need to tweak the HP section of the crossover, but then again you may not. That might be the easiest DIY center option to do -- and if you can get a KV-4 for $200 then I think it's certainly worth a shot!

According to Klipsch the KG-5.5s are 98dB @ 1watt/1meter, but having a matching center goes WAY beyond matching the level!!! A matched center has the same timbre as well as the same dynamic response. I am certain a stock KV-4 will NOT match a KG-5.5 as well as a KV-3, but I also feel there is a very good chance a modified KV-4 (like I detailed above) would match a lot better than a KV-3. IIRC, you can order a K-85-K horn assembly (that includes the driver) from Klipsch for around $50.