Want 5 Hz.? Just pull out The Incredibles!

kenratboy

I saw my neighbor leaving yesterday afternoon (I got home early) I was with my little girl so I asked her "wanna watch a movie," yep, "The Incredibles" I have seen it a few times before but this time I brought it to reference level and boosted the volume controls on the dual Velo's to "4" from "3" we watched the "Jack, Jack Attack" short first. When he burst into flames the intensity of the bass literally moved the heavy plastic blinds for the picture window a good 1/2" and sent viscious shock waves through our bodies! Whoa!

My daughter and I were sitting on the couch and when the THX logo scene came together her comment was "Daddy the couch is dangerous" since the intensity of the bass made it feel like it was going to come apart. This is a very heavy queen size sleeper sofa to boot. I thought the comment was funny!

I had the ole' NAD up to -20db on the volume and the realism was just unreal, I have not really had the chance to run at this level steady since I live in a duplex, I run all the speakers "Large" not a wince, creak, or any sign of distortion or breakup on any scene. I did have to back it down to -25 when he was fighting the robot on the island or I think the internal walls of my apartment were going to fall in I kid you not. The Heritage HT shined without a doubt!

It is one of the best sounding DVD's out there if your system can handle it.

With 9 15" woofers and a pair of 8's to boot talk about intense! The theater's don't even come close! Loud, clean, and crystal clear!

Great find on the review. I glad that review pointed out what most of us have known for awhile now - that The Incredibles is an outstanding movie for showing off and/or testing your HT system. Our family usually watches the movie on our plasma, which is my secondary system, and in that system, my SVS cylinder is no slouch - and can dig to 20hz. However, about a month ago, my wife left for the weekend. My kid wanted to watch that movie downstairs on my primary music system, which also has 5.1 capacity. After hearing the all-Heritage front, he is now officially hooked. Yes, its a good thing that my larger SVS box with dual 12s downstairs has the selectible lower end filter to protect those drivers when things start going south of 16hz. You can turn off the limiter, but I figure if the sub can dig to 16hz anyway, why risk the potential damage to the drivers? Explosions aside, the scene where Mr. Incredible fights the first Omnidroid (9?) is also a great test of your subwoofer(s) and your mains.

And it is nice to have a well-insulated basement, most of it below ground, so I can go ultra-loud whenever I like.

Actually, bass aside, the entire scene where Dash and his sister are being pursued by the bad guys in the saucer-things, up until the rejoining of the family to fight - is an outstanding scene to test the limits of your system.

Carl.

Watching "The Incredibles" was the deciding factor in building my IB. I have a fairly decent size living room that I had a SVS PCU and PB12+2 in. The rocket scene and the scene where Mrs I and the kids crash into the water kept bottoming out my PCU. It was partially my fault as I calibrated the PCU to the same SPL as the +2 and it just couldn't hang. Long story short, they left and the IB has taken over LFE duties. I had the feeling that there would more movies mixed like The Incredibles and I didn't want to go through that again.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y290/cecaa850/

----------------

On 7/21/2005 3:51:31 PM kenratboy wrote:

l33t intARwev skillz y0!!1!

Or, click on the 'USE RICH TEXT' button on the left when you reply/start a post. Gives you a ton of editing tools.

It will NOT work with Firefox, but that will be fixed with the new forum!

----------------

Also, if you don't want to use the Rich Text option or if you have firefox, type

< A Href="NNNNNNNNNNNN" > XXXXXXXX < / A > but with no spaces before and after the greater than or equal to sign, before the "A" or before and after the "/"

the NNNN's are the link, and the XXXX are the text that the forum readers see

• Like 1

On 7/21/2005 3:01:29 PM cjgeraci wrote:

Actually, bass aside, the entire scene where Dash and his sister are being pursued by the bad guys in the saucer-things, up until the rejoining of the family to fight - is an outstanding scene to test the limits of your system.

Funny. That's my HT demo scene!

Great minds think alike!

2.gif

----------------

On 7/21/2005 3:01:29 PM cjgeraci wrote:

Carl.

----------------

As an aside, has anybody noticed just how much that scene was like the "speeder-bike" scene out of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi movie?

But have to agree. That scene is cool to hear/watch on a good setup.

Yes, I noticed that it has much similarity to that Star Wars scene. That is part of the overall appeal of the movie. It appears to put forth several scenes tongue-in-cheek that appear to be winking at the audience to reference another scene that they are familiar with. Great sense of humour prevalent throughout.

For a movie that I originally thought was just going to be another kids' movie, it is also a fun movie for adults.

Carl.

I watched the movie again last night, prompted by this thread. Man, the walls rattle when I have this in. I LOVE the thud when his "message board" self-destructs. Talk about digging deep! The Omnidroid stuff is amazing - and. I can't recall the scene, but there was so much bass in it, my Academy was even bottoming - not a good thing, but it seemed to really be working....

Chris