Received my MC-30's from Mexico

Hey, remember my mexican adventure? Well . . . yesterday afternoon the UPS guy brought in a carton. I immediately noticed the rounded corners on the somewhat beat-up box, and somewhat hesitantly asked if it was from Mexico? I next asked the UPS driver, normally a good guy with whom I and my office are on first name basis, if someone had been playing football with it. "Nah, probably just whoever packed it. Looks fine to me. It was like that when it was put on the truck. See ya."

Packing was basically bubble wrap but no hard foam, not double boxed, BUT in the big scheme of things they came through sorta ok. The metal (rectifier?) tube was left in place on both . . . . but only one is still upright. The other is bent over, dented (matching the contour of the transformer cover), and looks like one of the spades(?) on the bottom is broken off. (Help me here guys, should they pull straight up, or do I have to twist counter-clockwise, or . . . .. ?)

Serial numbers 15340 and 17221.

Lettering is almost 100% on both, particularly the ends.

Chrome is 8.5 of 10 on 15340; probably 7.5 of 10 on 17221.

Transformer cases are ok, but looks like someone tried to spot paint a bit; same with one of the black bases.

I had asked the seller, when removing the tubes before shipping, to give me a schematic of which tubes came from which amp. He did much "better" . . . he took a Sharpie magic marker and wrote the numbers 1-6 on the chrome of each unit and then wrote the same numbers on the tubes themselves . . . .. I think i recall someone once telling to be careful what I ask for, . . . . now i think i know what they meant . .. . . and perhaps something got lost in translation. (Help again guys, what can i SAFELY use to remove magic marker from the chrome? and from the glass on the tubes???)

Don't get me wrong, i think everything will turn out just fine.

Tubes?? Interesting array, but you know i will be buying some more:

2 RCA 5U4 GB , also say 59EX9

2 GE 6L6 GC

1 RCA 6L6 G-blur

1 ?? 6L6 GC - bottom looks like the rca, but the 6l6gc is on the top is in a white octagon

1 GE 12BH7A; the other is 12BH7A is International C, Servicemaster

1 12AU7 ECC82 matsu****a japan

1 7025/ 12AX7A japan

1 12AX7A usa

1 12AX7 usa and the white octagon again

1 ECC83 date code 2A1 ,A?H

1 5963 ? United Electron

Sorry guys, i can only type so much now. Please know that i appreciate all the emails i got wishing me well on this, and the cautionary ones as well. My next chore is to get everything cleaned up, find a tech with a variac, etc.

LOL, the 3*** in the middle of the japanese company's name was done by the forum, not me. I didn't know that would happen, but think it is hilarious, altough i understand why their software would seize upon the combination of "hit" if preceded by an "s"

If alcohol doesn't work, I would hazard a guess and say acetone (nail polish remover) will do the job of cleaning. You do want to keep it away from any lettering on glass, however.

Wear gloves.

and keep in mind it is EXTREMELY flammable. Careful!

Glad this ended well for you.

enjoy,

Woo

Allan and Mark, what if i just hold it down REAL TIGHT when i plug it in, think maybe i will feel the "spark" of the music??? Hey, anyone 'round here BBQing ? I smell burning flesh . . . . . . smells kinda like roasted leprechaun . . .

So, probably terry dewick?

Either Terry or Craig, will be able to fix it for you. Craig has done a few MC-30's including mine. The power supply cap should be replaced:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/new/scripts/silverware.exe/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=CAPACITORS&SEARCH_TREE02=MULTISECTION&SEARCH_TREE03=FP CAPACITOR, ELECTROLYTIC, 80/40/30/20 µF @ 525 VDC $33.95 each.

----------------

On 7/29/2005 10:30:34 AM st. patrick wrote:

Allan and Mark, what if i just hold it down REAL TIGHT when i plug it in, think maybe i will feel the "spark" of the music??? Hey, anyone 'round here BBQing ? I smell burning flesh . . . . . . smells kinda like roasted leprechaun . . .

So, probably terry dewick?
----------------

I do love that smell! Terry DeWick is good. Craig(nosvalves.com) could certainly handle that too. If you're just looking to repair the damaged filter capacitor, you might even someone local do it but I'd keep my eye on them. But it would be best to send them in for a full restore by someone who knows the vintage amps like Craig or Terry.

Don't get any type of chemical near that Mac lettering! It can disappear in a heartbeat. I like the Q-Tip idea.

Here is a picture of what your insides might look like. You should consider replacing the bumblebee caps since they are most likely out of spec, especially the .47 ones. New caps will help your amp run properly and not do any damage to your tubes.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=33483&

There are a lot of suggestions for replacements for the tubes you are using, starting with Telefunken 12AX7's (used are less expensive), 12BH7 blackplates, 5U4G coke bottle blackplate rectifiers and Mullard 12AU7 for tube 2.

From front of amp, left to right, tube 1, 12AX7, 12AU7, 12BH7, 12AX7, power tubes 6L6 GC and 5U4G or GB rectifer.

Congrats, Patrick!

If you're planning a trip north (I can think of two reasons that you might!), and are leary of shipping these guys again, I cannot think of a better technician than Nick Gowan at True Sound in San Jose.

He's a Brit...a tube-lover...esoteric...a gentleman...and an INCREDIBLE technician. I had an Audio Research D-115 MKII that was damaged during shipment from a seller who was, shall we say, optimistic with his description. It needed a lot of help.

Nick allowed me to bring it in on a Saturday morning and repaired it while I waited so that I didn't have to make another trip (2 hours each way) to pick it up.

If you've seen Toy Story 2, think of the scene where Woody gets his arm sewn back on, his eyeballs polished with a little cotton swab, an airbrush sprayed on his cheeks to make them "rosy" again, and a fresh brush of brown paint to conceal "AnDY" written on the bottom of his shoe. Nick is much younger, but that's the level care and pride that goes into his work.

Anyhoo...If you'd like his number, I'd be happy to get you in contact with him. Check around in the Forums on AudiogoN for the many RAVE reviews by others who wouldn't take their cherished gear anyplace else.

My email address has changed, so shoot me a PM if you're interested.

• Moderators

Congratulations Patrick!!!!

I know you have been searching quite awhile for those babys. Whoever you have look at those amps be very careful. You should be able to find a number of good mac techs who know what they are doing in L.A., or if you get up to the Bay Area much there are a couple. My preference has always been to find someone that says they can keep it "original" as possible, or "well they don't make those caps anymore and NOS are impossible to find, but in my experience X sounds exactly the same." Start to worry when they start talking about super expensive resistors, capacitors, etc. These "mods" can compleatly alter the sound of those amps. Most good Mac tube equipment techs will know this and their selling point will be that they are going to keep it original for you. A good tech will also tell you that they will look for any previously replaced components and determine whether they are appropriate or not. Half the battle in purchasing Mac tube stuff is finding a unit that has not been worked on, you know it is going to cost some money to get it up to specs, but at least the tech is going to work from a known starting point.

I can't wait to see a post from you entitled "Hooked up MC30's Today" and the thrill I know you are going to have hearing them on your system. Again, congrats,

Travis

----------------

On 7/29/2005 10:02:19 PM Joe Auwen wrote:

----------------

On 7/29/2005 9:48:14 PM st. patrick wrote:

I sense your orphanage only has an "In" door,
2.gif

----------------

Patrick, On occasion I let a few go to good homes...with visitation rights, of course.....
2.gif

----------------

Yep, and they are happily sitting on their thrones as you mentioned poetically in an earlier thread! 1.gif