Flat monitor recommendations?

Coytee

I've got a 21" monitor beheamoth sitting on my desk. Frankly, I love it. I run it at 2048 x 1536 resolution and if I could run it higher I would.

That said, we've moved our office and in the new place, the wife is "redoing" several things (new desk, new chairs, adding molding, adding wall paper...)

One of the things she insists I get rid of is my 21". She says "big monitors are passe' and thin are in"

Be that as it may, I like and USE most all of my screen real estate.

Ok, so if I give in and go acquire another monitor of the thin variety, what are some suggestions for one that will allow a high quality picture and high (usable) resolution?

Thanks for any ideas

1.gif

Wow, it depends.

I too still use the 21" and up Nokias and Mitsubishi monitors, a few with the dual input stereo screens and will continue to use them until they fail.

The new LCD monitors are nice and convenient, but they cannot compare to the rigorous viewing demands that the traditional CRT can provide in anywhere near a competitve price range.

But that being said, if your viewing habits are less stringent and space is the determining criteria, the Samsung SyncMaster 21" and 19" LCDs are getting wonderful reviews by many, and some even like the large Dell (although it would seriously hurt me to recommend anything by Dell - despite their DLP projector and monitor getting good reviews).

But, if accurate viewing over long periods is important, you will not achieve the quality of picture with an LCD that you can with a CRT. But they have come a long ways in a relatively short time.

---------------------------

Of course, a nice Mac with dual 30" montors would be a nice addition to ANY desk! And if your wife doesn't like it, you can always call me and I will be glad to pick it up! Or if your wife isa real space freak, the new 20" IMac is HARD to beat. And it can run all of your Windows programs as well.

And one more comment! I love how so many PC reviewers complain that the Mac has limited expandability! What complete and utter nonsense! With USB2, Firewire400 and Firewire800, all you do is daisy chain devices together (just as we used to do with SCSI!) And with complete plug and play configuration! So don't let ANY of such nonsense deter you!

Define large source?

The monitor I'm currently using if memory serves me, cost us about $1,500 back in about 1999/2000. Give or take a nickel.

It also has the dual input which I've grown to love. I've always got a "dear old friend" that needs their pc worked on. It's SO nice to be able to just plug it up and use the a/b switch on my monitor to go from their pc to mine.

I would rather get brand "X" that is MADE by brand "X", rather than get something rebadged as something else.

(seems I'd not be paying the other persons markup also??? ala Dell?)

(I have nothing agaisnt Dell, just using to illustrate)

oh, if I DO fine another monitor... it's possible this one will go home with me and I can ditch my 17" at home 11.gif

----------------

On 8/2/2005 2:49:04 PM Coytee wrote:

I would rather get brand "X" that is MADE by brand "X", rather than get something rebadged as something else.
----------------

Then you do NOT want to know the realities of the computer sourcing industry! Especially all of you who have issues with the far east!

Oh, I presume that most of them are made in China/Malaysia/Hong Kong or somewhere in that area.

In fact, I'd bet that to find one "made in Japan" would be the minority? And to find one "made in USA"... well, probably be easier to find a living dinasaur.

All I'm saying is if "Johnson Company" (or czhtang Fong) makes the Dell or (insert name) brand, then I'd be just as happy buying the parent company's name rather than the branded model.

Or am I missing something with my logic there?

----------------

On 8/2/2005 3:03:30 PM Coytee wrote:

Oh, I presume that most of them are made in China/Malaysia/Hong Kong or somewhere in that area.

In fact, I'd bet that to find one "made in Japan" would be the minority? And to find one "made in USA"... well, probably be easier to find a living dinasaur.

All I'm saying is if "Johnson Company" (or czhtang Fong) makes the Dell or (insert name) brand, then I'd be just as happy buying the parent company's name rather than the branded model.

Or am I missing something with my logic there?----------------

No, but there are approximately 5 major manufacturing companies sourcing for almost all of the brands, including laptops.

Its like gas stoves or green beans and corn - all the brands are coming out of only several processing/manufacturing plants.

The economies of scale have nearly resulted in an oligopoly, with the components being relegated to commodity status - meaning that they are being sold at near cost.

Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=320-4221&cs=19&c=us&l=en

Wide-Aspect Display

12ms response rate

1920x1200 resolution

built-in USB hub

integrated flash-card reader

under $1000!!!

Aside from the 30" Apple Cinema display, which requires a dual-DVI video card (only on desktops, and you'd have to drop $400+ on the card alone) that's the best LCD on the market.

If you mean computer monitors, I like the Dell Ultrasharp flat panels. When I had to get a new computer in January, I knew I didn't want the standard flat panel LCD, and had to really push the online salesperson to admit that there was a higher-line (and higher-quality) model, the Ultrasharp. It replaced my previous Dell 1998 Trinitron, and I've been very happy with the sharpness, color, and lack of visual distortion. You can look at the selections at http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=4009&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs.

Larry

Two of my friends got the 20" one as well... during one of those crazy <$400 deals. These monitors are amazing. Rich color, very dark blacks... no ghosting or trailing that I can see.

I would get the 24" one, but firstly I don't have the money, and secondly, I play games sometimes, and a video card that would let me run modern games at that resolution would have to be quite expensive as well.

First of all Dell is the only way to go for the following reason...their 30 day satisfaction guarantee. The dirty little flat panel industry secret is that you may have "dead pixels" on a flat panel. Most manufacturers (and the retailers that sell their product) will only allow you to exchange or return a panel if it has more than 8-10 dead pixels. No way to tell until you take it out of the box. With Dell if you find even one, you can return it for another unit. No questions asked.

I have 2 of the Dell 2001FP 20" flat panels that I use in a dual monitor setup. That gives me a 3200x1200 work area. They come with both VGA and DVI plugs so if you use DVI (recommended because the clarity is razor sharp), you can still hook up other computers to the VGA inputs and work with them by pushing a button on the front of the monitor.

It's fairly common to be able to purchase the 20" Dell on sale for $499. That means you can buy 2-20" units for about the same (or less) than their 24". You also get more screen real estate then the 24". (3200x1200 vs. 1920x1200)

My recommendation... 2 Dell 2001FP's.

Hope this helps.