i want klipschorns! what year and finish are best????

funkyhambone

ok i was half *** wanting some khorns for quite some time. i have owned cornwalls for many years so i haven't been in a rush. i joined the forums a couple of days ago and i am in heaven! i am so glad so many people share my passion for the klipsch sound! after reading so many postings about the khorns, i now am seriously looking for a pair. i am requesting help from the experts. let's just pretend you could have any year and any finish of khorns........what would you pick and why? i am looking forward to the knowledge.

I would choose 2006 and the walnut finish. The reason I choose the walnut is because it's the only finish I've seen.

Now Ben, you specify Cherry. Is that available? Or are you meaning the medium oak?

The AK4 crossover is, from my understanding, the best version of the Klipschorn.

I'd take any year as long as they were mint, B style, had the modern drivers and the AK-4 crossover. As far as finish, I've never seen some of the more exotic finishes in person although the zebrawood on my corns may be a bit much for Khorns. I really like Larry's light mahogany but would probably opt for a nice medium red satin lacquered cherry.

----------------

On 8/7/2005 7:39:36 PM edwinr wrote:

Now Ben, you specify Cherry. Is that available? Or are you meaning the medium oak?----------------

I'm not sure about finish availability. Strictly wishful thinking, to be honest. I'm really quite fond of unstained, oiled cherry. I made a flexi-rack with said finish and it was quite nice, though wifey objected to the 3/4" threaded rods and big-arse hex nuts. Tung oil really brings out the quilting.

I can't say I like oak's grain for furniture. For floors, with narrow boards, it's fine, but otherwise, I just don't care for it.

----------------

On 8/7/2005 8:30:52 PM ben. wrote:

Gary, I had forgotten we have the same year. Quite a few '76 owners here. What networks are you using again?

----------------

Ben,

I have Dean's auricapped A's. Very nice. My KC-BR's were veneered in a dark mahogany by the original owner to match his room's decor.

When I say modern drivers, I'm referring to early-mid 60s and beyond. I don't think the AK-4s were available until the late 90s or early 00s but I could be wrong.

Duh, I just looked at your signature. Man, I'm smart...

Did you get the previous owner to knock off any money for them being a non-original finish?2.gif

I'm running Dean's Jensen PIO A types, via Pirahna. It'd be cool to A/B them down the road at some point for curiousity's sake.

I would do what i did, find a pair in need of alot of care and fix them up you will be proud of them and saving them from the wood pile.I learned alot about them like how to make bass bin air tight,rebuild crossovers with help from AL,Bob, on here.I learned how to veneer i changed a pair of style Cs to a pair of style Bs.But if i had the money i would have got oiled oak cause i like the oak look but those would have cost around 2500 and shipping to.The year i would try to look for would be 1980 or if i was rich just order new ones someone has to buy new ones to keep Klipsch workers busy i did buy new Scalas in 1980 nothing like brand new look,smell huh.Rick

----------------

On 8/7/2005 9:42:58 PM ben. wrote:

Duh, I just looked at your signature. Man, I'm smart...

Did you get the previous owner to knock off any money for them being a non-original finish?
2.gif"

I'm running Dean's Jensen PIO A types, via Pirahna. It'd be cool to A/B them down the road at some point for curiousity's sake.
----------------

Ben,

Let me know how this pans out if you guys ever get around to doing this.