Speaker Cables for Forte's

Bonzo

Why change the cable? It seems adequate.

If you are intersted in experimenting, then I would spend the time and effort on tweaking 1) speaker placement and 2) room treatment.

These will produce actual changes in the sound. The trick is to determine if the changes are improvements.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Hey Duke, I also have a pair of L-36's along with my Heresy's and Forte's. I know where there is a pair of JBL L200b studio masters for sale. They are in nice shape. The guy has Heil Air Motion Transformers, of ESS fame, on top of the 200's, hooked up to the B side of his cheap Sansui amp? He has some kind of resistor or cap. in the loop. The surprising thing is, it sounds pretty good??? The L200b's are nice but they do need help in the top end, IMHO. I too had Valencia's at one time which had much better highs. Put about 300 clean watts behind them and I may change my mind!

I'm using the Supra Classic 1.6 -- it's an affordable high quality tin over stranded copper. www.solen.ca/ you can find it under the accessories link.

I also use the 14AWG Goertz, which seems to add a bit of sparkle to the treble. http://www.alphacore.com/shop/enter.html

To change up the signature a little you have to change either the cable geometry or material. Nothing jaw dropping, but it's there. I mostly like these cables because they are high quality, reasonably priced, and don't oxidize and turn green six months after you buy them.

----------------

On 8/11/2005 5:49:54 AM DeanG wrote:

I'm using the Supra Classic 1.6 -- it's an affordable high quality tin over stranded copper.
you can find it under the
accessories
link.

I also use the 14AWG Goertz, which seems to add a bit of sparkle to the treble.

To change up the signature a little you have to change either the cable geometry or material. Nothing jaw dropping, but it's there. I mostly like these cables because they are high quality, reasonably priced, and don't oxidize and turn green six months after you buy them.

----------------

Holy COW! Is this for real?! Dean really said this??

DM9.gif

I too have wire upgraded from zip cord--it even has fancy gold mini-spades on the ends to fit my old McIntosh amps and Cornwalls!! It's called Nordost Blue Heaven and I got a KILLER deal on it a few years back. It replaced some bottom of the lime Audioquest stuff with bare tinned wire ends. It LOOKS much better--can't say it really sounds any better.

Now if you want to talk about INTERCONNECTS, I can absolutely hear differences when changing them out. Speaker wire is another story . . .

I am using Straightwire inter-connects which seem to work very well. The biggest improvement is my Entech 2.3 DAC hooked to my Sony 300 disc mega-changer. Much more articulate and better sepaaration of vocals and instruments. Tightened the bass up too.

----------------

On 8/11/2005 5:49:54 AM DeanG wrote:

I'm using the Supra Classic 1.6 -- it's an affordable high quality tin over stranded copper.
you can find it under the
accessories
link.

I also use the 14AWG Goertz, which seems to add a bit of sparkle to the treble.

----------------

Not only does Dean build crossovers, he sells cables now. Send $5.00 for Deans 2005 catalog

What you've got is PERFECT! AR is nice and flexible, multistrand copper. I personally like to change things around and hate shorts caused by a stray wire, so I banana everything.

If you need more wire, go to home center. I bought 250' of nice 16 ga copper for $40. The music sounds like music. That's enough for me.

Michael

I can hear a difference between silver, straight copper, and tinned copper. I can't hear a difference between my 14 AWG Radio Shack cable and my $300 Kimber 8TC's, however, I can hear a difference between the Goertz and Kimber. So, I deduced that it takes either a radical change in the geometry of the cable, or the material. I hear small differences with cymbals and the sound of the snare -- but I couldn't tell you which is "right" or "better". It really doesn't amount to a hill of beans of difference, and I think the important thing is to stay away from stuff prone to oxidation. The Goertz and Supra wire are good choices here.