RF-7 driver out

Kriton

Man this forum is great!

I was reading a previous post after not being on in a while, and I read where some unlucky owner of a pair of RF-7's noticed that one of his cones was not working = no sound. I thought to myself, that would suck in a major way.

Well if I don't start moving things around a little today, and I decided to listen to my RF's and by god, the left hand hand mid-range is completely dead...WTH?

I started getting really angry, thinking hassle sending back a brand new flawless 7, but I remembered the advice to check the connections first...however, as the mid cone is higher in the tower, I couldn't get to it through the tuner cone...SO, I had to find a screw driver with the 6 pointed star configuration (for those silly screws), and I took out the crossover/bi-wire plate (easier than the driver) and sure nuff, with a flashlight, I saw that the connections were indeed off on the positive terminal. Man these stock cross=overs are Mickey Mouse....

Tightened up the clips with a needle nose plier and replaced them, and it is working fine. I thought when I was setting up the balance that the left speaker sounded funny, but I thought it was just a placement issue, not that the driver was off...

Check your RF-'s folks, this could be happening to you...

Good thing I read this forum, thanks guys.

K

Amy,

You should let your guys in manufacturing know about the RF-7s having connector problems. If you fix this right away, I will not report you to Mickey Mouse. Living in Orlando as I do, I can tell you Mickey takes his trademark rights very seriously. I don't want to have to turn him loose on Klipsch! I'm glad the crossovers are not Goofy, because he is twice as mean as a junkyard dog, and not as merciful as Mickey. Please pass this on to the crew......

There are other problems too. I've been seeing the 3.6uF value from the RC-7 showing up on the RF-7 board where the 5uF is supposed to be. I've seen three of these from my last five customers. One RC-7 I received had a 1 ohm resistor where the 1.5 goes, and ALL of the RC-7's I've worked have had the top cap broken from the adhesive supported only by the leads. Someone from Klipsch needs to go over and put a foot on someone's neck.

----------------

On 8/14/2005 10:57:11 AM DeanG wrote:

There are other problems too. I've been seeing the 3.6uF value from the RC-7 showing up on the RF-7 board where the 5uF is supposed to be. I've seen three of these from my last five customers. Once RC-7 I received had a 1 ohm resistor where the 1.5 goes, and ALL of the RC-7's I've worked have had the top cap broken from the adhesive supported only by the leads. Someone from Klipsch needs to go over and put a foot on someone's neck.

----------------

That would mean that 60% of the RF-7's and 100% of the RC-7's are not as they are supposed to be. Horrible quality control.

N

===================================================================

hows that saying go

you pay in peanuts you get monkeys

Total BS! There have been issues with very expensive $$$ that you read about

all the time on other forums.

As for Quality Control for the RF-7's, I have no issues with mine! 1.gif

Hecho en Mexico, ha ha ha ha

That is pretty sloppy! Using the wrong cap values is not a good thing! We have heard of a few items that reflected less than stellar workmanship on some of the newer speakers. But to be fair they were immediately corrected at no cost to the purchaser.

Just so you know the RX-7 Series and Heritage speakers are still made in Hope, AR, perhaps the networks are built elsewhere and sent to Hope for inclusion into the finished product. They have obviously doing this for awhile since when I replaced my Academy network it had "Hecho en Mexico" stamped on it. Aiiihhh Caramba!

Yes, some have said here the drivers are assembled in Mexico and the final speaker done in Hope, Ark. I don't know. When I called Klipsch and ask them, they told me that they are designed by Klipsch and made in Hope, Ark. They never said anything about Mexico, not that I asked either.

----------------

On 8/14/2005 10:57:11 AM DeanG wrote:

There are other problems too. I've been seeing the 3.6uF value from the RC-7 showing up on the RF-7 board where the 5uF is supposed to be. I've seen three of these from my last five customers. Once RC-7 I received had a 1 ohm resistor where the 1.5 goes, and ALL of the RC-7's I've worked have had the top cap broken from the adhesive supported only by the leads. Someone from Klipsch needs to go over and put a foot on someone's neck.

----------------

Dean,

How can I check if my RF-7's have the correct value on the board? Same question for the RC-7 resistor.

Thanks,

N

----------------

On 8/16/2005 8:33:15 AM BobG wrote:

Thanks for calling this to my attention. I've alerted the manufacturing and QC teams.

----------------

Bob,

What is Klipsch going to do about the RF-7 and RC-7 owners whose speakers have the wrong uF values and resistors?

N

----------------

On 8/15/2005 12:38:57 AM KlipsDude wrote:

hows that saying go

you pay in peanuts you get monkeys

Total BS! There have been issues with very expensive $$$ that you read about

all the time on other forums.

As for Quality Control for the RF-7's, maybe those mistakes are coming from being assembled in Mexico?? Could be a lang. barrier thing. Have to make sure they understand what number go on what numbers and do some supervising to make sure they are on top of things.

----------------

10.gif dork

Nicu

you will need a meter that measures capacitance. Most D.M.M's dont have this ability, but if I interpreted what dean wrote correctly the values should be clear to see on the caps. Or you could just send them to Dean so's he can replace them and work his magic.