HELP!!! I think something just happened to my tube amp!

delano

Hey Guys,

I was sitting here minding my own business listening to some Jackie McLean and I heard a loud pop. Then it was fine then all of a sudden very loud feedback/scratchy noise. I jumped and turned everything off. I unhooked the amp and hooked it up my heresy's to an old receiver. Everything is working fine again so I have isolated the problem to my amp. It's a 6 month old Shanling integrated tube amp.

Do you guys know what might of happened and do you think it could have damaged my speakers?

Thanks in advance

Delano

At first I thought you lost a tube, but it really sounds more like you lost a capacitor. Since your Heresys worked on your old receiver when you hooked them up, they're fine. The Shanling needs to go back to the dealer for warrany repair.

Thanks for your quick response Dean. I know from all your posts that you know what you are talking about. Is this normal with tube amps because this is what I was afraid of when i first bought the amp. I am a music lover not an equipment kind of guy. I want to sit and enjoy the music without worrying about the amp/tubes. I when i had ss gear i did not worry too much but with the tubes I am constantly worrying. I this something I have to look forward to as an ongoing issue or a once and a while thing.

I love the tube sound .

Thanks again

Delano

When it comes to tube amps, I DON'T know what I'm talking about! I just took a stab at it based on previous experience. I lost a cap in a Sonic Frontiers preamp once, and what you described sounds like what I experienced. The heavy hitters will be in here soon with their input. BTW, this is something that actually doesn't happen at all if the parts are good.

Allan:

One word: CHINA

Why on earth would ANYONE buy a Chinese amp?

----------------

On 8/14/2005 6:51:51 PM crazytubepower wrote:

Yeah man, not to bash your choice, but chinnese ammps will always break. I kno wmost of the time it is a budget thing, but in that case get vintage. I would sugest returning it or getting it fixed and then sell it on ebay! You will be much happier with say a hh scott.
----------------

Yes folks!

Take this a gospel...

And as a prime example of an oh-so-experienced world weary traveller, steeped in knowledge and seconds of hard earned experience, simply repeating the xenophobic rascism of his elders!

Congrats! 8.gif14.gif15.gif

Delano

I'm guesing here, but I have this feeling that you got your amps of Empire Audio from Harley. I know he carry's them. You can call him in the morning and he'll tell you where to bring that amp. He's a very helpful guy, when in comes to things like this. Good luck.1.gif1.gif

Yes, as you have learned, ALL Chinese equipment fails and ALL non-Chinese equipment never fails!

Come on! You have chosen to deal with TUBES!!!! Enjoy it! You just experienced one of the infinite joys that COMES WITH THE TERRITORY!

What, aren't we going to get to hear tales of woe from those who have spent the BIG bucks on exhorbitantly priced NOS tubes that do the same, or even better!!!- upon power up!!???

And why are folks lucky to get a 90 day warranty on a tube!!!!!

Nor why so many tubes are no longer made in the US! And don't blame the Chinese! Maybe we should blame that confirmed Commie Jack Welch!!!

I wonder why the world isn't rushing to replace all of the SS stuff with new state of the art tube gear! Besides! I bet we could solve all of the Space Shuttle's issues if they just dumped those fatally flawed ICs and went with tubes! The possiblilities are endless! And the thought insane!

While no one can predict when it will happen, and there are always exceptions: Tubes 'blow'.

And hopefully the reference mentioned above will get you back up and running quickly! Good luck!

Ah, tube amps! The joy of bad resistors, caps, tubes, tube rolling, biasing, distortion, feeble highs, weak lows, but "glorious mids!" What have I been missing with my 30 year old Pioneer SX-1250 that has never been in the shop! Dust it out, keep it covered when not in use, and a little pot spray/lubricant now and then. It will probably blow up tomorrow but for now, I would rather turn it on and enjoy the music like I have since it was new then worry everytime the tubes warm up! I have a Yamaha RX-777 receiver that hasn't missed a beat either and sounds great! Caveat, would love to have an old Mac and I wouldn't trade my 1974 SUNN Model T Tube guitar amp for any SS amp! Is this a paradox or a paradigm or a dicotomy???

----------------

On 8/14/2005 7:36:34 PM Bonzo wrote:

Ah, tube amps! The joy of bad resistors, caps, tubes, tube rolling, biasing, distortion, feeble highs, weak lows, but "glorious mids!" What have I been missing with my 30 year old Pioneer SX-1250 that has never been in the shop! Dust it out, keep it covered when not in use, and a little pot spray/lubricant now and then. It will probably blow up tomorrow but for now, I would rather turn it on and enjoy the music like I have since it was new then worry everytime the tubes warm up! I have a Yamaha RX-777 receiver that hasn't missed a beat either and sounds great! Caveat, would love to have an old Mac and I wouldn't trade my 1974 SUNN Model T Tube guitar amp for any SS amp! Is this a paradox or a paradigm or a dicotomy???----------------

I'll take the small issues with tube amps any day rather then listen to the nightmare that protrudes out of a set of Lascalas with a Pioneer SX-1250. There is no reason why a quality brand new or freshly rebuilt tube amp under normal operating conditions shouldn't work flawlessly for 15 to 20 years.

Craig

----------------

On 8/14/2005 8:21:09 PM DeanG wrote:

"...distortion, feeble highs, weak lows, but "glorious mids!"

Well, you just described the single ended triode sound. However, my tube amps don't sound anything like that!
----------------

Ha, ha. I saw that too. Bonzo did say he wants an old McIntosh, which would cure the feeble highs and weak lows for him.

I am sure there is no reason they shouldn't last that long, but in my experience, most do not! If I pay kilo bucks for a tube amp to turn around and put more money in it to make it sound good, that is throwing good money after bad in my book! How many companies build a new tube amp for a "reasonable" price that don't cut every corner they can with inferior wiring, caps, resistors and tubes? I also can't see buying a 30+ year old re-built tube amp by some shade tree expert who claims they know what they are doing. If I can find an integrated tube amp that sounds as good as my SS's out of the box, and will last for 15 to 20 years for around $1000, I will buy it, today! I am asking too much???

Thanks for all the responses guys, even the negative ones.

I did purchase the amp at Audio Empire and I know that Harley definitely stands behind his stuff. I did lots of research before buying this amp and I know I did the right thing. I do realize that certain things could happen with tube ownership and I am just glad that I have my old trusty harman Kardon receiver while the tube amp gets servicing. It actually sounds pretty good with the tube output cd player.

delano