HELP!!! I think something just happened to my tube amp!

delano

""...distortion, feeble highs, weak lows, but "glorious mids!"

Well, you just described the single ended triode sound. However, my tube amps don't sound anything like that!""

Gee, I don't seem to notice that with my SET amp.

To each his own I suppose.....

Just sell that tube amp and buy a arc welder for your Klipsch, gotta have that headroom......

Delano,

Sounds like a tube to me. If you want, try it again and watch the amp. If you see one start to glow, at least you'll know which one it is. Could just be a loose socket. They're easy to tighen with the right tools.

Best to get it fixed if it's still under warranty but it IS good experience fixing it yourself if it's something simple like a loose socket. It may not be the last time something like this happens and it's good to know what to look for. Also, could just be a bad tube.

When you take it in, ask what went wrong and have them explain what to do if something like that ever happens again.

Thanks you Gray for the nice response, it is appreciated. I will be taking it in to the shop and I will definitely ask what happened and why for next time.

To those who bashed me for going Chinese I think you should think first considering many of the Klipsch products you enjoy so much including more than half of the Reference line are made in China. Not trying to start a war but just keep people in check. I do not like hypocrisy.

Delano

----------------

On 8/14/2005 9:23:57 PM mike stehr wrote:

Gee, I don't seem to notice that with my SET amp.

a arc welder for your Klipsch, gotta have that headroom......

----------------

Well, now i completely understand your Anti-Crown Bias, Mike

Your jealous 'cause your SET can't Arc Weld, Battery Charge, or all the other neat things you can do with a Crown .....9.gif

My Klipsch were made in Arkansas when I was 7 years old (1964).

My amps were made in New York when I was 2 years old. The output tubes in the amps were made by Western Electric when my Dad was fighting in Korea.

But, unfortunately, that's the only way you can get 100% American stuff any longer.

Makes me feel all weepy . . .

----------------

On 8/14/2005 7:58:51 PM bkrop wrote:

Uh, Dragonfyr, perhaps one too many sarcasm tablets today?

----------------

I think he may have tried to balance those with an injection of self-congragulatory rambling. Something must have gone awry...

I'm glad he set me straight though. I had forgotten how transistor based amps never break.

get an electrolightning globe, plug into your ss 120 volt switched outlites,an pretend,it's a superduper tube, capacitor,line conditioner,resistor, transformer, psychicport to the universe,while you get your tube gear fix,always have back up, backline equipment,an always sheath the stage ,so no gaps open up, an the saxman disappeares to china