Newbie Help

Well the Heresys arrived alreay and I can't wipe the grin from my face, what a steal!! Not lacking much bass in my small room, Any opinions on risers, yes or no? They have them on ebay.

I've thought about the merlin and then adding a phono preamp, great minds think a like, or is that disturbed minds, never can remember.

God Bless

Ron

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/18/2005 10:29:42 AM TEXASRONANDTRISH wrote:

Well the Heresys arrived alreay and I can't wipe the grin from my face, what a steal!! Not lacking much bass in my small room, Any opinions on risers, yes or no? They have them on ebay.

I've thought about the merlin and then adding a phono preamp, great minds think a like, or is that disturbed minds, never can remember.

God Bless

Ron
----------------

Ron,

It might be worth checking out this full function tube preamp (with tube regulation) http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1129391035 .

They also got a beautiful looking tube linestage with tube rectifier and remote, at a very competative price http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1129389684

I have an Audible Illusions Modulus 3A Preamp that I bought new in March 04 for $2k. It is known for its phono section. I replaced it with a Juicy Music Peach in July 04. I don't think I am going to be getting back into albums anytime soon.

$1,100 shipped to your door.

Danny

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Heresys are fun speakers to listen to.

Re: question about risers. I have tried it both ways. Without the risers, the bass may a bit stronger. I think the difference is subtle; however, others make a bigger deal out of the difference.

With the risers and aimed at the listener, I believe the upper mids and highs were better (I assume the drivers are a bit directional).

It is worth some time to experiment by putting the speakers in different locations (esp relative to the back and side walls), bringing your chair to a different spot, etc. These are fun experiments. The problem is that changing speaker location and treating the room (drapes, carpets in or out, etc) definitely change the sound (these are clearly audible differences) but it is difficult to always judge whether the differences are actually better, or simply "different".

Good Luck,

Tom

Ron -

From your other posts it seems like you are already listening to the Heresys and enjoying the sound!! If you are still in search of ampflication I can demo Heresys at my house with Fisher tubes, mid 90's HK SS, early 80's HK SS, and brand spanking new TI Digital amp technology. I have 6 Heresys and all the necessary receivers. If you really want you can listen to the Cornwalls too.

Laters,

Jeff (in Plano)

OK, fair warning: I'm such a newbie I don't even have Heresy's yet and have been asking for much advice myself. But I might have some advice about budget receivers.

This is subjective of course, but I think the Marantz 2230 is maybe one best-kept (not so secretive) secrets out there. They are significantly more powerful than their 30wpc rating, are cap-coupled for a warm tubey sound, and even sport a good preamp when used in the preamp out mode. They're readily available in thr 100-150 dollar range on eBay, just be very careful and do your due diligence on the seller. Don't hurry, thry're plentiful.

As well, if you wnat a little more power the Pioneer SX-750 is a great choice. Also very mellow and musical. I have an extra one I'm going to put up soon. Maybe a little more $, but still under 200. The slightly less powerful SX-650 is also a good choice.

Good Luck,

Ed