1 amp fuse saves the day

tuned4life

i sure am glad i spent a couple bucks and installed 1 amp fuses in my speaker wires. i hooked up a marantz 2325 that hadnt been powered up in a long time. it played just fine for about 10 minutes and all of a sudden a loud zap. whatever it was blew all the 1 amp fuses to my 4 cornwalls. hooked up another reciever and replaced the fuses and my cornwalls are fine. a friend of mine tells me that the problem is probably a bad component in the power supply. a few years back i had a similiar incident but didnt have the inline fuses. it blew the tweeters and mids out of 4 pioneer cs 99a speakers.

QUESTION: Regarding fuses in the speaker wires, after all the care given to getting this and that JUST PERFECT, and using $10,000 speaker wires, doesn't a 50 cent fuse blow the whole theory of state of the art stuff? Talk about Rat Shack weak links.

"Dude, I spent $75,000 on my system Dude, and it Rocks! I protect it all with a cheap fuse that's so thin I can barely make out the wire."

----------------

On 8/16/2005 12:08:19 PM jpm wrote:

QUESTION: Regarding fuses in the speaker wires, after all the care given to getting this and that JUST PERFECT, and using $10,000 speaker wires, doesn't a 50 cent fuse blow the whole theory of state of the art stuff? Talk about Rat Shack weak links.

"Dude, I spent $75,000 on my system Dude, and it Rocks! I protect it all with a cheap fuse that's so thin I can barely make out the wire."

----------------

An interesting question, let me pose the rhetorical question:

A blown speaker will have a degradation that is quite audible. Is the "degradation" produced by a very short & thin lead in the fuse also audible?

-Tom

Fuse Away!

Whatever makes ya happy I say.

No way I'd throw a crappy fuse in my signal path to degrade everything. Just use due care and caution with the volume and in the case of the amp going fubar out of the blue and messing up the speakers, well, that's what homeowner's insurance is for. This may sound brutal, but it's the truth.

Wow, I have to say that the fuse in the speaker wire works, but, I would not want in line with my 12 gauge wire. The element in that fuse is hair thin (40gauge or higher?) So it really does trash the theory of good speaker wire if you add one in. But, they do work at saving speakers. So you have to look at your own personal situation and decide what to do. I can see it now, a new "tweak", with gold plated, silver wire fuse elements.........costing about $20.00 per fuse instead of $1.59 cents.

Shoot, I could have merketed that idea and I blabbed it on this thread. Another idea shot to hell. Me and my big mouth. Oh well.....

----------------

... "Dude, I spent $75,000 on my system Dude, and it Rocks! I protect it all with a cheap fuse that's so thin I can barely make out the wire."

----------------

Ever looked at the wire in the voice coil?

----------------

On 8/16/2005 3:03:22 PM scriven wrote:

----------------

... "Dude, I spent $75,000 on my system Dude, and it Rocks! I protect it all with a cheap fuse that's so thin I can barely make out the wire."

----------------

Ever looked at the wire in the voice coil?

----------------

Motor windings are technically coils intended to create a flux field, not transmission conductors; two completely different purposes. The vc winding typically is also about 1800 yards or more in length. The typical total of all that tiny wire is 4 or 8 Ohms impedance.

DM

----------------

On 8/16/2005 9:01:39 PM jpm wrote:

Man, I've been running stereos hard for 42 of my 52 years, never with a fuse to the speaker, and I've never blown a speaker. Buy a good quality amp, good speakers and don't clip anything. Simple.

----------------

My Peach caused a huge static noise that blew the fuses in my ALK's. I guess the Juicy Music Peach does not qualify in your book as a good quality component.

Do a listening test and you will not hear a difference between a fuse or straight wire. Most amps use small wire to the speaker posts because teh run is so short (like a fuse).