RB-75 Quality, Long short story

Bonzo

I recently purchased a brand new pair of RB-75's for a bedroom system. Took them out of the boxes, hooked them up and they sounded terrible??? Quickly found that the horn on one speaker was only working intermittently. Hoping it was a loose wire on the compression driver, I took the front baffle off. Had to search for the right size "star looking bit" for my screwdriver first. What ever happened to philips screws? Anyway, I was a little surprised to see the front baffle and horn were one piece with the compression driver naturally attached to the rear of the horn portion. It seemed pretty flimsy to me. The woofer was screwed to some bracing inside the cabinet. Fortunately it was a loose wire connection on the driver as I thought. Needed a pair of plyers to crimp down the connecter so it would stay secure. They sound pretty good but really lacking in bass response. That's what I get for buying a bookshelf! Maybe they will improve with a longer break-in period? Any one else have quality problems with new Klipsch speakers? I was naturally disappointed with this problem as these retail at nearly $1K and I have not had an issue with any Klipsch speakers in the past.

I was comparing the bass response to the speakers the RB-75's are replacing. A 15 year old pair of JBL L-1's with a 6.5" woofer in a smaller cabinet. The JBL's go quite a bit lower than the Klipsch albeit not as tight. The 75's are quite a bit more accurate however. Maybe I need to buy a $2K tube amp and then replace all the sub-standard stock tubes, caps, resistors, wiring etc., etc., etc. I am sure that would make them sound a whole lot better!

I am in the process of getting a new amp for them. I am currently using a early 90's Sony, yes Sony, integrated from their ES line. It's a solid amp but getting a little tired. I would be looking for a good integrated or higher end receiver. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry for the tube knock, I'm kind of grumpy today for some reason?7.gif

----------------

On 8/18/2005 2:04:58 PM Bonzo wrote: I would be looking for a good integrated or higher end receiver. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

----------------

Here are some solid state integrateds with a couple of them new under 1K. I would like to try tubes some day to see what they are all about.

Portal Audio_YBA_McIntosh_BV Audio_Unison_Musical Fidelity_Sugden_Krell_Redgum_DK Design Group_Jeff Rowland_Electrocompaniet_BV Audio_Classe_Blue Circle_Bel Canto_Ayre.

----------------

On 8/18/2005 1:02:06 PM michael hurd wrote:

Okay, so you had a loose wire, it happens, and with a LOT more expensive speakers as well. I have not heard the RB75, but I have heard the RB5 bookshelfs. They seemed to have adequate bass for what they were, don't forget the RB75 has only one 8" woofer in a smallish cabinet.

----------------

To me that's unacceptable. Klipsch Reference should be free from any

defect. Is that not the reason someone signed the back during the the QC.

• Like 1

Sure they were fine when they left the factory, but they had to be transported to a warehourse, and then to the final dealer from which you purchased them from. If they came to another country ( for example cananda ) they would also have to go through customs.

All this transportation can loosen the fast-on connections internally. Be glad the driver did not break off of the horn! This has happened to a few people through shipping, most often the culprits being courier companies like Ups ( pronounced oops ), and also Fed-ex ( also known as fed-up ).

• Klipsch Employees

Where and how did you get these?

Mike is right, connectors do come off in shipping from time to time.

I worked on that speaker in the R & D stages. It had good low end.

Steve p uses the 75 for his mains in his HT. They do a fine job.

you can thank GM for the funny screws. For us, ID likes them better than phillips.

you can thank GM for the funny screws. For us, ID likes them better than phillips.

==========

TORX holds to the bit much better in an industrail assembly operation. Very costly to scrap out a woofer cone by inadvertantly hitting it with a fastner and making a hole, I would think.

----------------

On 8/19/2005 6:36:38 AM Trey Cannon wrote:

Where and how did you get these?

Mike is right, connectors do come off in shipping from time to time.

I worked on that speaker in the R & D stages. It had good low end.

Steve p uses the 75 for his mains in his HT. They do a fine job.

----------------

AGAIN that's unacceptable. What's this from time to time crap. It is

Klipsch responsibility to deliver a first rate product free from defect.

If there product cannot be packaged so that internal wires will not come off

then they need to change their production methods. If I had brought any Klipsch

speaker home and had to take it apart because it did not work that damn thing

would be back at the dealer and I would be auditioning another speaker. I do not

and would not make any excuses on poor production/shipping.

• Like 1

would be back at the dealer and I would be auditioning another speaker. I do not

----------------

Give me a break, who makes anything that is 100% free from defects.

Get a grip!!!!

Ok... most of you have been expecting this.... Said it before, I'll say it again.

A pair of RC7s > A pair of RB75s

I don't like to insult Klipsch speakers, but to me, the RB75s have a plastic sound to them. It was VERY evident when I did a side by side. A pair RC7s up against a pair of RB75s. When listening to the RB75s by them selves, they sound fine, but when you do a side by side, it was evident to me.

I'm not a speaker designer but I suspect the reason behind it is because the entire front of the RB75 is one big chunk of molded plastic. I dunno.

Just my 25cents

----------------

On 8/19/2005 7:53:23 AM gcoker wrote:

----------------

Wow, I guess you're one of those people.

It's not their job to deliver the product to your door, nor is it their job to manufacture an unbreakable speaker. It's their job to try to ensure that the speaker is delivered as safely as possible, and that it is free of defects as much as they can.

If you want white-glove service, you should be prepared to pay white-glove prices. You can call Klipsch and tell them that for $10000 you want the speakers brought to you in perfect condition, guaranteed free of defects and shipping damage. I am sure they could work something out with you. For $1000 or less (the price of the RB-75s), on the other hand, you can take your attitude elsewhere. I like everything working out perfectly just as much as the next guy, but I do not ask for perfection, unless I am prepared to pay for it.

I bought these new from an authorized Klipsch dealer here in town. As I said earlier, I am looking for a new integrated amp or receiver. My old amp could be part of the problem although it seems to drive my old speakers very well. I will have a better feel for them when I do get a new amp and give them time to break in. I can tell you that they don't hold a candle to my Forte's or Heresy's but, I know that's an unfair comparison. I am sure they will be just great in my bedroom system.1.gif

Oh, regarding the loose wire, the crimp on the connecter was not sufficient enough to keep it tightly on the driver. I doubt that happened in shipping. The dealer, who by the way is a friend of mine, offered to replace it with a new speaker at his expense. I figured it was an easy enough fix and it wasn't worth the dealer going through the trouble. Was not his fault but, I appreciated the offer. The guys at Clyde's Home Entertainment in Redding, CA are first rate, honest people and Klipsch should be proud to have them as an authorized dealer!1.gif

----------------

Give me a break, who makes anything that is 100% free from defects.

Get a grip!!!!

----------------

Apparently not Klipsch. By the way do a search on the forum for RSW

getting home DOA. And guy's it's internal wires comming loose inside the

speakers...give me a break...cheap. Gorilla glue the damn things.

• Like 1