will k-horns work in my room?

I really think Cornwalls (or even Heresys with a well integrated sub) would work much better for you. However, you won't be limited to that room forever.

If you are indeed 15, you'll probably be moving around a bit in the next few years. Khorns are a real pain to move.

Woo

yep, alot of moving to be done, what about a la scala with a sub? Which would you get, I was thinking about the two piece comercial. Easier to move and doesnt look half bad, for a la scala. So, given my situation, k-horns or the la scala? thanks. Oh yeah and if you don't remember I am a mostly classic rock/ classical guy but I am starting to get into jazz.

I would say you should go for the K-Horn.

I've never really agreed with the theory that the size of the speaker should be matched to the size of the room. Or that small speakers sound better than big ones in a small room.

It is generally true that larger rooms lead to better bass boost at low freqs where the K-Horn needs help. K-Horns in a big room do sound grand. But exactly what works and what does not is tough to predict. It is tough to do an A-B test. OTOH, a CW or any direct radiator bass is going to be more predictable.

My thought is that a K-Horn in even a compromised setting (if your room is indeed that) is such a gem that you should not forego the opportunity to give it a try. You'll always wonder, "what if . . ."

Gil

Room considerations aren't as important in your case as personal considerations. If you go to college a few years from now, for example, Klipschorns would be nothing but a big hassle. If your dad is willing to keep them in the meantime, that wouldn't be too bad but it would still mean that you'd have to get some other speakers for college.

----------------

On 8/21/2005 2:53:40 AM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

I would say you should go for the K-Horn.

I've never really agreed with the theory that the size of the speaker should be matched to the size of the room. Or that small speakers sound better than big ones in a small room.

It is generally true that larger rooms lead to better bass boost at low freqs where the K-Horn needs help. K-Horns in a big room do sound grand. But exactly what works and what does not is tough to predict. It is tough to do an A-B test. OTOH, a CW or any direct radiator bass is going to be more predictable.

My thought is that a K-Horn in even a compromised setting (if your room is indeed that) is such a gem that you should not forego the opportunity to give it a try. You'll always wonder, "what if . . ."

Gil

----------------

My Experience agrees with everything Gil has said!!

I've had my Khorns in rooms from very large to small and with some proper room treatment/and EQing I have been able to acheive very satisfying reproduction in Clarity,Tonality and Imaging. No small room will give you the wide soundstage that a larger room allows but I have been able to achieve life size vocals and instruments for the most part I just don't have the full width and depth that a wider spread allows.

The speaker size really isn't the issue the real problem is that a small room gets into trouble sooner than a larger room because of it's room dimensions/volume and this really has nothing to do with the size of the speaker but with the ability of the speaker to play full range at higher SPLs showing up the limitations of a small room.

The real question to ask yourself is what are you willing/able to do to deal with your rooms limitations? If your looking for the best sound you can achieve then any speaker will require this.

The Khorns will be in the room corners thus energizing all the room modes of the room so depending on your individual room these would have to be dealt with by various methods such as (Bass Traps, Seating Position and Possibly a very good Equalizer(1/3 Octave or even better for room modes a Parametric Type). Also Diffusion(Very Important In Small Rooms)needs to be considered because it is very easy to have to much absorption in a small room.

A Heresy, Cornwall or Lascala would allow you to move the speaker in relation to the walls and possibly not energize some problem room modes but in any small acoustical space they also would benefit greatly from proper room treatment. Diffusion in the room would also benefit them or any system if used properly.

I personally believe the Khorn can sound as good as any speaker in your room if you work with the room and you will learn alot about what really is the limiting factor in most all situations which is the room acoustics. Sooner or later if you really want to acheive the best sound from your system then you will realize that the room is if not the equal of the speaker in importance to your sound it is at least second in importance!!

I would say to you that if you are willing to take the time to learn about acoustics and lots of patience(Remember to enjoy this journey) then Khorns are a speaker that will always be able to give you the most in any room your in. In other words they are a great investment in your Sound Future!! Something you can really grow with!!!

mike1.gif

I think Gil hit on the head. Although the room size may not be best, it is still not bad. Corners are important, and you seem to have that.

K-Horns really do sound incredible (words spoken by a proud owner). In time, you may have a larger space, who knows.

Good luck,

-Tom

Get a pair of halfway beat up Cornwalls for now. They'll last you forever, don't take up THAT much space for the killer sound they provide. Your friends can spill beer all over them for a decade, then when you get your first REAL place, get your khorns. FWIW.

Michael- still stuck in Cornwallville- my home has baseboard radient heat- not a corner in the place to use!

----------------

On 8/21/2005 11:23:58 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Get a pair of halfway beat up Cornwalls for now. They'll last you forever, don't take up THAT much space for the killer sound they provide. Your friends can spill beer all over them for a decade, then when you get your first REAL place, get your khorns. FWIW.

Michael- still stuck in Cornwallville- my home has baseboard radient heat- not a corner in the place to use!
----------------

Those tailboards can get notched out to accomodate baseboard heat. I have it in one corner. My Khorns had been in a car wreck, and had damaged the lower tailboard on one anyhow. I just finished the job with a jack saw an inch or two higher.

Speaking as someone who had a pair of LaScalas in the dorm at college...

If you DO get the Khorns and you do go off to school... you WILL be the KING of your dorm!

That said, moving the LaScalas WAS a royal pain in the hiney. Certainly do-able and I don't regret having done any of it.

Going off to school was the secondary reason I got the LaScalas instead of the Khorns, with the difference in $$ being the primary reason. Combined, I could not justify the purchase. Sadly, it took me over 20 years to come to my senses and finally get a pair.

I wish I hadn't waited as long and I'd suggest you not wait that long if you can afford the ticket price. Beyond that, it would behoove you to try to forsee where you will be in several years and decide if you want to marry yourself to the fact of moving them around as may be required.

1.gif