TUBES!!!!! MERLIN!!!!!

Well it came today...the juicy merlin! It is so beautiful, i have had less than an hour with it but already I can tell you that the bass is tighter and more pronounced, but I haven't cranked it because I am going to break it in on moderate volume for a few hours. The pictures I am posting now are with the teac and not very good, I will me taking it to my studio to take some real pictures later this week. Anyway thanks mark!!! Review to come!

ROCK ON

James

CTP

"Cranking" the thing will have no effect on the break-in except in myth. The tubes are already at operating temperature whether low or high volume.

I would dispense with the unfounded ritualistic behaviour surrounding "electronic break-in" and get to the heart of the matter!

DM2.gif

----------------

On 8/23/2005 1:41:44 PM crazytubepower wrote:

Cannot upload pictures! Sorry guys.

----------------

Email me the pictures at themeuge_@_gmail.com (remove underscores - they are to fool bots scanning for emails to spam). I'll host them for you.

P.S. Mark - if you read this - I guess you've already sent out the first batch of Merlins for trials. I had the impression that I'd be getting one too, but I haven't heard from you. Can you let me know if there is a Merlin heading my way? I'm eager to try it out.

CTP,

I'd suggest not to worry about changing tubes right now. The NOS Philips JAN 6922 that Mark has included would be quite a challenge to improve upon. That tube is a VERY VERY good match for the Merlin. I'd been listening to a Peach for a year and when I dropped the Merlin in my system, I though, whoooahh, the Merlin ought not to sound BETTER than the Peach.... it was that tube. I had some very nice Telefunken tubes in the Peach, but that Philips embarrassed the Telefunkens badly. A good synergistic match I suppose, but it is a fabulous sounding combination.

Merlin is the cat's a$$. Well, maybe pCAT's....

Still have the Merlin in the bedroom office.

Switched out the Alesis power amp and set up my Dynaco ST-70, rebuilt with a Curcio Audio upgrade board with 3 JAN/Phillips 6922 tubes in it. Also has the P.S. upgrade and a replacement power tranny from Uncle Ned (that is one heavey sucker!). This is powering the Heresy IIs.

Still feeding the PC to it at the moment. I let everything warm up for probably 15 minutes before sending any music to it. Mainly because I got sidetracked.

Put in one of my favorite CDs-- David "Fathead" Newman/ Mr. Gentle Mr. Cool, a tribute to Duke Ellington.

Biggest impression (again) is the imaging is rock solid. These guys are IN the room, and you can place them across the soundstage. Changing the gain on the Merlin only makes it louder or softer. The eq doesn't change a bit. That stupid line "staight wire with gain" comes to mind, but hey, it seems to be that way.

I'm still impressed with how cool this runs. I think I have had a pocket watch get warmer than this. Like the 8 ft. long power cord too. What else can I say. Very quiet (does it actually make any noise?).

I love the looks as well. (gush... gush...)

And it isn't just because someone on the forum made it either.2.gif

Great job Mark. If the other models are as nice as this (and users seem to think so), you have designed something special.

Bruce

Still have the Merlin in the bedroom office.

Switched

out the Alesis power amp and set up my Dynaco ST-70, rebuilt with a

Curcio Audio upgrade board with 3 JAN/Phillips 6922 tubes in it. Also

has the P.S. upgrade and a replacement power tranny from Uncle Ned

(that is one heavey sucker!). This is powering the Heresy IIs.

I love the looks as well. (gush... gush...)

And it isn't just because someone on the forum made it either.2.gif

Great job Mark. If the other models are as nice as this (and users seem to think so), you have designed something special.

Bruce

It is a cute little brick ain't it.