Juicy Music's Merlin Review!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CalBlackSmith,

I hope you can find in the archives a review of the BlueBerry by Sheltie Dave. He had a friend who brought over a VTL Ultimate preamp to compare with the BB and he left Sheltie Dave's house muttering because the BB had bested his ultimate by a head.

Of course, these things are subjective.

I'd suggest that you get used to being around people who think that Juicy Music preamps are the cat's a$$.

Among the benefits of free speech on the forum, you are always entitled to offer the minority report.

2.gif

----------------

On 8/26/2005 1:27:14 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

CalBlackSmith,

I hope you can find in the archives a review of the BlueBerry by Sheltie Dave. He had a friend who brought over a VTL Ultimate preamp to compare with the BB and he left Sheltie Dave's house muttering because the BB had bested his ultimate by a head.

Of course, these things are subjective.

I'd suggest that you get used to being around people who think that Juicy Music preamps are the cat's a$$.

Among the benefits of free speech on the forum, you are always entitled to offer the minority report.

2.gif

----------------

DD,

Like you've already said, these things are subjective.

I won't state my opinion about Sheltie Dave's hearing ability but I did find him to be one hell of an abnoxious individual.

I guess I'll join Wayn and be part of that minority.

DD,

Like you've already said, these things are subjective.

I won't state my opinion about Sheltie Dave's hearing ability but I did find him to be one hell of an abnoxious individual.

I guess I'll join Wayn and be part of that minority.

-------------------------------------------------

Guy, no prob with the minority report. It's my job in some circles.

Sheltie Dave is obnoxious? I suspect another minority

assessment. I've been wishing he was back wasting time around the

forum.

I agree with Dee and Parrot. Sheltie and family are real nice people. I also wish Sheltie Dave would return. He has always been very generous to Forum members and he's been extremely helpful to me.

OK, I'll agree that his Dukane P.A. amps would probably be pretty obnoxious sounding with Klipsch speakers.

WoW ....

a lot of Hostility here .....

"gushing" praise for Mark ...???

Yea ....i have to admit I was shocked at HOW GOOD the MERLIN was ...

given the price, the chinese outta just run home with thier tube stuff....

i COMPARED the Merlin ..to a decently High End preamp...

soundwise , the Merlin was Right There ....

and, no, i just didn't start in this biz Yesterday .....and my system ain't lower end, AnalPhiles

Mark D ... ++++++++++..!

"........................................

I

also have no problem with you or others being sick of reading the

threads here. What I do when I am sick of reading certain threads is

just mouse on by them.

mdeneen

The problelm with that comment is that there would be no threads that

would be readable. This place has taken on the looks of a "me too"

club. You are not cool if you don't gush over the products that are

built by board members. Once you are in the "me too" club, there is no

other piece of gear that will ever be as good or heaven forbid better.

The answer to ALL questions regarding an amp is the same. JM or VRD. No other gear will do YADDA YADDA YADDA BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Yes, when I met Sheltie Dave and family, they were very nice folks.

Let's not have personal attacks here, especially when Sheltie isn't around to defend himself or his ears.

Agreed.

I would just add my appreciation for Sheltie Dave sending down his

BlueBerry by FedEX so the 2004 Arkansas Gathering could audition it.

Also, in my conversations with Mr. and Mrs. Sheltie Dave on the

phone,... Mrs. Sheltie Dave is a gracious person as you would expect.

Dave keeps alot of balls in the air in the way he covers the bases

attending to his family and being Liam's dad. Also, keeping up his

Klipsch Museum is no small thing. I'm sorry that I haven't been

able to accept their invitations to stop by and visit them in their

home.

"........................................

I also have no problem with you or others being sick of reading the threads here. What I do when I am sick of reading certain threads is just mouse on by them.

mdeneen

The problelm with that comment is that there would be no threads that would be readable. This place has taken on the looks of a "me too" club. You are not cool if you don't gush over the products that are built by board members. Once you are in the "me too" club, there is no other piece of gear that will ever be as good or heaven forbid better.

The answer to ALL questions regarding an amp is the same. JM or VRD. No other gear will do YADDA YADDA YADDA BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Gripe Gripe Gripe I don't believe anyone is holding a gun to your head or the people posting these raving reveiws for that matter. If you don't want to read about this gear then I suggest you avoid the threads and quit your whining.

Your more then welcome to put up a reveiw of your gear. You won't see Mark or myself say a word one way or the other about it although I'm sure either of us could.

Craig

I am going to buy a Merlin this week. I own a 2004 Luxman int amp and while it is not the best int amp in the world it sounds very good to me! I have wanted to try tube preamps and have bought a Ground Grid tube preamp. With my Monarchy Audio SM 70s it sounded very good but not as good as the Luxman. So for $600 I'll try the Merlin. If I don't like it I will send it back! But yes I will post a review on the Merlin on this forum even if I send it back cause I did not like it. I live in Austin, TX so once I get the merlin I'm going to see if anyone in my area wants to try it in their system and get some Klipsch meeting going here in Central Texas.

To bash people for using this forum to post their views and experiences with their systems is not really fair! Have you or any of the others heard the Blueberry, Peach, Merlin, and VRDs? What other gear was used? What other equipment did you compare them to? What speakers were used? What did you think they did great and how did the other gear sound better?

I don't think people on this forum who work hard for their money and spend it on products from Mark and Craig are just wanting to join the ME TOO CLUB. Then they are stuck with a product that is just okay after spending $600-2400 but cannot return it or sell it because they won't be in the club anymore, PLEASE. Can you say you have never bought a amp, preamp, and any other gear partialy based upon first reviews of the product and then listening to it? What was your first pair of Klipsch speakers? Since then have you upgraded them partialy based on reviews by other people and your own listening tests?

I don't own the Merlin yet but I have enjoyed reading posts from other people who have bough these preamps and amps and gave their opions on how it sounded. Yes people are trying them because of the reviews they have read and actually hearing them in friends and their systems.

You all are perfectly within your right to post your thoughts on this forum that is what it is here for. But to attack people for posting on gear they have bought and really like is wrong. If anyone has issues with another forum member send them a email about it and please keep it off this forum. I have been as honest as I can without trying to offend anyone. If I did offend someone it was not my intention.

Xman

When I bought the AES-AE1 for $500, it was nearly new and factory-wired with NOS tubes. A used Peach is not nearly anywhere that price. And you say *value* for the money?

Neo we all know you don't own any gear give it a rest.

maybe if AES shipped thier product out for review ...

they'd get some press, too ...

nobody twisted my arm to post that Merlin review... for that matter ..nobody said it would be favorable to JM at all

hell, Mark took a chance sending these out for review ...

he coulda just hid behind some fancy ad