Why do people prefer Heritage (Corn, Chrorus, Heresy) over KLF's?

vman71

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really should not base your decision on which speaker gets more votes on this forum. The way to make this decision is to go out and listen to both types, and decide for yourself. Everyone has different tastes and no two people hear alike. Get the ones that YOU like, not the ones that others say you should like.

There's only one problem with this argument: nobody sells either speaker at retail any more!

I have never heard Cornwalls and I've been listening to stereos since 1983! I have heard the KLF-20s and they sounded good. But, then, they weren't built particularly well.

Jeff

FWIW

I had and loved KLF30s and now have Klipschorns.

Both are superb speakers and either are capable of reproducing

virtually any music that they might be presented with. The KLFs are

often referred to as the ultimate in rock speakers and I agree. They

present a more obvious bass slam than the Khorns and while using them

never had a sense that they were in any way inaccurate.

That said,my Klipschorns while a little lacking of the slam factor as

compared to the KLFs present a somewhat more coherent sound across the

audio spectrum.In other words with the 30s I was constantly amazed at

their sound...The bass is so powerful..the midrange so dynamic...the

tweeters as sweet as a songbird.

With the Khorn however I find myself less drawn to the power/sweetness

of the speaker's presentation and more able to allow the speaker to

disappear and simply hear the music.

That said, If I ever had to surrender my horns for some reason it would

be a pair of Cornwalls or KLF 30s or failing that a pair of RF7s that I

would be prowling for. Any of those are damned good second choice.

I had a KLF-C7 center and Cornwalls. I then switched to a Heresy center. I thought the C7 did a better job of imaging for center dialog but didn't blend as well with the Corns nor did it play as strong & loud. The only center I would consider now with Cornwalls is another Cornwall (or Belle/La Scala) but that is a monster of a box. I think an all KLF HT would be easier to place and probably perferable than a hybrid.

I prefer the build of Heritage vs KLF.

$1100 is high for oiled Walnut unless they are like new (no rings from water marks, gouges, chips, etc.). Like new with minor flaws in finish should be around $800.

wow I stand corrected, I have had both, I guess I just prefer the bass of the cornwall over the forteII.

ported vs. passive radiator.

I found my ForteII to be very boomy. I contribute this to my room though.(very small)

Still the first time I've heard using a sub with Cornwall

ya I was browsing through the specs, I have been using a different amp with the corns as well. Its all trial and error with me still. I apologize if I came across in a disagreeable manor above, it was more of a question.

with my forteII in my small room 100hz to 120hz likewise 50hz would resonate my room like a crystal glass, Cornwalls ported design seems to have solved this problem.

Cornwalls really do not require a subwoofer unless you are listening to classical, organ type music, or Rap with steady content below 25Hz. For average everyday listening I honestly think you really do not need a subwoofer.

While the Forte II is an excellent speaker the bass is no where near as tight and accurate as that of the Cornwall, sorry. According to the specs the FII only goes 6Hz lower in bass response (32Hz vs. 38Hz) and that is not even worth quibbling over. I think the addition of the 15 incher in the back while actually the correct passive for a 12" active driver made them sound slow and sloppy when it comes to overall bass response. The bass is no where near as articulate as that of the Cornwall.

The overall bass tone of the original Forte' is better than that of the Forte' II in my humble opinion of course.

You bring up an excellent point. Whenever we get into discussions about certain Klipsch preferences, members start referencing the listed specs and often the discussion turns to which floorstander digs the lowest. However, those specs usually fail to convey how the speaker actually sounds.

For the vast majority of music, there is not much happening below 50 hz. As a result, it comes down to just how the individual speaker sounds, the respective balance and bass sound. And even though there have been many speakers made by Klipsch, many really do sound different from each other - with respect to their overall sound.

I have heard KLF-30s, and if one only listened to harder rock, they (or RF-7s) would be my first choice as a speaker. Dynamic and hard hitting and can bring the tight slam. But..... some people listen to a variety of music, and that is what lead to certain preferences. To my ears, the Cornwalls' bass is looser sounding than the KLF-30s, but the larger cabinet and different drivers sound better to me for virtually everything else but hard rock. Its just a larger, and at times, smoother sound. Even for harder rock, its a tough contest for my ears between the Corns and the KLF-30s, but I would give a slight edge to the KLFs because of the tighter sounding bass.

And so on...and so on. The Klipshorns' bass fills the room, and does all kinds of music well. But sometimes there is an absence of some punch with some of the harder rock. But, many own Klipschorns (and I will someday) because they do all types of music so dang well and the sound literally fills the room. KLF-30s cannot do that to that degree. The LaScalas/Belles bass is tight sounding, but cannot provide the slam factor of Cornwalls/KLF-30s. Yet, I prefer the LaScalas/Belles mid and top end to everything else except the Klipschorns and so I happily enjoy Belles. The two times I have heard Fortes, I have heard some bass boominess, but I still need to listen to Fortes more to give them an honest evaluation.

Carl.

NOW we're getting somewhere. If you are comparing Cornwalls to any other Klipsch speaker, please reread the last two posts. They pretty much say it all.

Low bass is only good if it is musical. The CW bass is not only a very smooth response, but dynamic (SLAM) as well.

Guys, is it me or does the Cornwall seem to be one of the best overall values and best sounding speakers for most categories of music?

Michael

Duke, I would think that placement and room acoustics play a role. Side by side comparisons don't mean anything except best particular speaker at that particular time, with that particular room, with that particular music playing, and on and on add infinitum.

hell he "needs" 7 speakers with his reciever.

plus it supports 3 zones so he really needs 11 Cornwalls and an amp

now ....

to my ears, the Cornwalls are pleasing

but they "rumble", a lot more than Chorus 2, Forte 2

++++++++++++

I like my Chorus II for bass realism better than LaScalas; but LaScalas for mid.

Corns I only heard at INDY pilgrimage 1.3 years ago so it was not a fair listen. I thought my Chorus IIs could beat them in my room. The "rumble" comment struck a cord.

I always like dthe KLF20 in demos but never heard them with tubes. I would have to DIY reinforce the cabinets if I ever bought a pair.

RF-7 is really a strong performer altough it seems to me they were designed with SS amplification in mind. A tiny bit rolled of comapered to any Heritage.