I'm starting to lose interest in tubes

BS Button

I don't know exactly what it is, but I'm growing weary. I've got a great amp without a pre-amp and can't seem to settle on a pre. I can already see major $$$ out the door, while desiring another pair of Klipsch Heritage. Anybody interested in my amp? Dynaco ST 70 series II, by Panor, all black and nearly mint. I paid $750. Seems like the new has worn off, quickly.

If your losing interest in the amp you have had for such a short time I would have to wonder if the amp is operating up to snuff myself. You must realize tube amps will keep on making noise long after they should be worked on with little notice that something is going south. How are you now controlling the volume?

Craig

Thanks all, Craig etc.

Just that, what I want in a pre does not seem to exist without major capital expenditures. I'd like a loudness or contour function. The "Peach" is what I really desire with that HT bypass and more inputs than the Merlin. Craig: I'm using my CD variable output and or my Adcom solid state pre, which is sold. I'm constantly wanting to turn it off to save on tube life, worried, etc.

BSB,

I'm really a non technical type, but I'd imagine that you are not

getting optimal performance out of your ST-70 without an active preamp

driving it.

Do you have a budget set for your preamp. I think your mouth would fall open hearing that ST-70 driven by a Merlin.

Others could tell you if it would be a good match, but there is a DIY

preamp by Bottlehead that shows up on Audiogon several times a year,

pretty reasonable price.

CD direct is a lifeless and sterile sound. I think it sounds terrible. The only thing I can think of that has what you are looking for at the price you want it at is an Anthem Pre1L. You can probably get a 2 now for less than $450. Highly recommended -- I've owned one three times. Get a decent tubed unit in front of that amp and you won't need a loudness button.

i never got great life outta EL-34's .... 300 hrs, or so

but, in all fairness, they were used in a High Vibration, High Dissapation enviorment

......... Marshall guitar amp

Stereo, i'm thinking a couple thousand hours ....??

most tube equipment gives thousands of hours service , before needing work ....

don't forget, a lot of trouble attributed to "tube" equipment ...

is really , trouble with 35 - 40 year stuff, and tubes just as old

I dont know what crossover you have in your Corns, but some of the models can have a bounce in the 5-9KHz range, which not only makes them sound harsh or bright, but also wears out your ears over time.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Your CD player can also give a large amount of jitter, which also wears out the ears. A vibration isolation platform (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0404/ginkocloud10.htm) or making your own VIP (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/) helps.

Although Corns have a nice 80-100Hz bounce for the mid-bass, they do not go as deep as we can hear. Plus, even a powerful ST70 may have trouble with the woofer impedances, so that the lowest bass is not as strong as you would like. This means that you are missing the deepest, and sometimes most moving, music and movie notes. Not only should you break out the credit cards for a quality pre (and what could be better that a Merlin for the money?) but sorry to say this, you should IMO also plan on a powerful sub.

How old is the Panor/Dynaco ST70?[H]

Couple of thousand hours use from an EL34 in an amp is not unusual - and unless you are going serious NOS they are not big bucks to replace.

If you listen to music 3 hours a night, every night, 7 days per week you would expect a new set to last something like 2 years. I buy new EH EL34's for something around $15 per. Not all that expensive on a per use basis.

Preamp tubes are another beast altogether - they seem to last forever (well - you know). I leave my pre on 24/7 and change the tubes every 3 years (just to be sure - no real need - at least no audible difference last time I swapped them out).

Power amps are switched off between listening sessions (small flame out taught me that one).

Visual cosmetic condition can not be correlated to electrical condition. Also I think we emailed back and forth and I warned you that the Panor ST70 is a completely different beast then the original ST70. It shares some circuit characteristics but not all. I've never heard one so further comment is impossible from my end.

To identify the tubes we would need some good close up photo's of the tubes. Is there any writing on them at all?

Craig

I guess I have never 'really' had to much of an interest in tubes...

That bias is more the result of what I have heard over the years, which very may be completely wrong but from what I have heard a tube amp is in most every case:

1. far more expensive then a solid state amp of comparable output and quality

2. less reliable, more need of 'maintenance' & repair

3. requires a like-wise expensive pre-pro

if I'm wrong, can y'all set me straight?

{edit: it appears that I missed a few pages of this thread...}