Finally got a set of Cornwalls! YES!

BigBusa

When I was about 20 and just getting the car stereo "bug" I had the opportunity to hear a pair of Klipsch cornwalls in an upscale showroom in Maine. At the time I had all I could do to afford the HK 260 car amp I was there for but I swore that someday I'd have a pair of cornwalls. The other day in the local classified paper I saw an ad for a set priced at $550. With the cash in my pocket I immediatley drove the 40 miles one way to see and hear them. They sounded as good as they had to me 14 years ago and were kept in great shape by their original owner since 1980. These speakers are presently the best part of my system. They are being powered by a Sony STR-D611 reciever and in my opinion sound great. I am admittedly not a "stereophile" by any stretch of the imagination. I'm wondering if I could make these speakers sound even better by changing recievers. I only buy used items because I can't afford big dollar new toys. Any suggestions folks? Thanks!

-A proud new father

f>cwm17.gif

------------------

?

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 09-27-2001 at 08:30 AM

Congradulations!!!! I love my Cornwalls and I have only had them for about a month. They are awsome!! I am sure that you will have many many hours of enjoyment listening to them.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Hey BigBusa and welcome to Klub Cornwall ! Smile.gif

If you'll do a search on "Cornwall" here I think you'll find a lot of useful info and even some photos of others' Cornwalls. I myself have a pair of 1971 Cornwalls with vertical mounted squawker and tweeter horns. Yes, they are an awesome speaker.

As for recommendations of what to drive them with....uh-ohhhh, you've come to the wrong place. No sireebob, you won't find opinions here. Wink.gif <ducking & running>

BTW...your handle has me curious. The "Busa" part wouldn't happen to relate to a motorcycle would it??

Tom Adams

Hey BigBusa.......so does that mean you live in Maine?

Congrats on the Cornwalls!!

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Thanks for the welcome to the cornwall klub people! Smile.gif

Hey Tom, I did a search on cornwalls here last night and came up with a lot of great info. I'm still reading it off and on.

See the attached picture for the answer to your last question. Smile.gif

I did live in Maine for 23 years. I have been in upstate NY for the last 11.

I've started the search for a far better reciever. It doesn't seem like it but all my Sony components are 10 years old! The surround sound was never all that impressive with the Sony anyway. The center and reaer channels were almost inaudible.

Ebay has tons of used recievers and my local classified has a few in my price range ($400-$500). I just don't know what one to pic. My next reciever must be able to power these cornwalls effectively and reproduce Dolby movies well ...That's about the only requirements I have. The denon 2802 looks like a good candidate.

------------------

?

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 09-27-2001 at 01:49 PM

Well here is my opinion on receivers.......DENON.

Go for at least the AVR-3802 , that is 110 watts x 7, and has enough bells and whistles to keep you happy for many years. You can get one for +/- $800 online, or around $1200 retail. The 2802 is another good receiver that will give you 90 watts x 7, with just a few less goodies to play with.

Good Luck

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

BigBusa - thanks for the photo of your ride. Sweet bike and scary fast. I have a ZX9R. Oh...that's right, mine is scary fast too. Smile.gif BTW, how'd you get that menacing comic book villian to stand still with your bike long enough to snap the picture?? Wink.gif And are we crazy?? Sportbikes and audio? That's a sure combination to drain the 'ol bank dry!

As for receivers, I own a Denon and have been very happy with it. I didn't do a whole lot of shopping around before I bought, but I think I made the right choice at the time. I know you said you'd rather buy used, but you may wanna look into Outlaw Audio. They've gotten nice press, good personal testimonies here and their prices are very reasonable. Just a thought. With all the major receiver manufacturers changing their products so fast, you should be able to luck into deals on leftover new products as well as barely used items. Many on this BB have gotten some good deals on new stuff from uBid. From my readings here, folks speak highly of Denon and Marantz with Onkyo & Yamaha coming in a close second. I realize this hasn't helped you narrow the field, but there's so many options out there for you, that it's difficult to say one way or the other. And then there's the tube crowd that would say your Cornwalls would be much happier being driven by tubes (personally, I'd love to try a tube amp one day).

Take care and ride safe.

Tom Adams

As much as I'd love to spend more I just couldn't right now. So, I opted for the Kenwood reciever ( http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_9902.htm ) and Kenwood DVD player ( http://216.33.72.165/Actn/Cls/5753149.asp#prod_desc ) along with a pair of Klipsch quintets for my rears. This will be the 1st DVD I've owned. I'm looking for a decent center speaker next.

Nice ride ...ZX-9 is a beast also! I have never ridden one but have ridden with a few. I actually sold my Busa about a month ago. I got a few too many speeding tickets and didn't want to end up walking. 126 in a 55mph and 64 in a 30 mph zones, not to mention the time I had to hide in the woods for 5 hours with discarded mattresses covering my bike until darkness came. Felony evading 6 cops cars and a roadblock all at once is not a good idea I found out! cwm24.gif I couldn't even enjoy riding it anymore because I was so worried about the next time I'd get pulled over and ticketed or have to evade. Anxiety and constant looking over ones shoulder sucks!

You know what I mean I bet.

Here's what I ride now ...Honestly, it's more fun!cwm11.gif

------------------

?

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 09-28-2001 at 09:46 AM

I too, have recently aquired a set of Cornwalls. Mine, however, are the "less desirable Cornwall II's" in oiled oak. I have heard that these were less desirable due to horn material, driver type and a multitude of other reasons, but to me it's a piece of audio heaven. They are in pristine condition and I am very satisfied with them. The link Jim has on his post reference the Cornwall II's, so I don't feel all that bad. The II's are now my mains and I have moved my KLF30's to the surround position. The 30's now occupy my KG5.5's spot. As far as scooters. I had a Suzuki GS1100 18 years ago that had Mikuni 33 smooth bores, it was bored out and ported with a radical cam. Use to do th 1/4 mile in the high 8's. I went to fast on it one night and it scared the hell out of me. Went to the guy who built it up the next morning and had a buyer with-in an hour. My only scooter experience now is when I borrow my buddy's Yamaha Road Star. Big 1600cc engine. Still feels great to ride.

quote:

Originally posted by Tom Adams:

And are we crazy?? Sportbikes and audio? That's a sure combination to drain the 'ol bank dry!

LOL try musclecars and audio. I have to worry about a sound system for the car (parked of course can't hear too much with the motor in the on positon :-). And then there is this whole home theater deal..oh well more reason to get to work each day.

As far as recievers go, I know I am in the minority here on this board with this opinion but I really like Harman Kardon. All the HK equipment I have ever owned has sounded great on all my various Klipsch speakers.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Hi Big,Welcome to the Klub.

Mine are in our bedroom as you can see.Didn't have enough room in the living room.cwm35.gif

Even though the Cornwalls are close together where they are,they are great.We find it hard sometimes deciding on where to listen.

I know too well about the rocket bikes.No fun unless you are "up"there!Safer to just listen to tunes. cwm1.gif

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

Cornwall Is for music only

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA

Steve

Id better get a move on it!!

You see Chris Robinson, hes got K-Horns now, LOL!!!

Im Jealous!!

I just dont have the funds, for now, prabably for this year!! LOL!!

I was born in NY, and am still astonished on what happened, im glad were all here, and none of us were killed!!

God bless all of us, now, and for the future, of our children!!

Long live Klipsch, and us as well!!

Regards Jim