thebes

Thanks to Grog for helping out last week. Well I'm back from

vacation, and although I did bring along and hooked up my

Promedia's for some vacation music. I wasn't listening to

anything new, though, so I don't really have a recommendation

this week. Instead I have a question.

First things first :

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music

(cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

My question is anyone familiar with Madeleine Peyroux, she supposed to

be sorta like Norah Jones,. Her first cd was called "Dreamland"

and was released in 1996. Nothing until now with a new release

called "Careless Love" . A Washingotn Post review of her performance in

this town over the weekend was quite enthusiastic, but I could use some

feeback from my faithful contributors before I take the plunge.

So What do you have for us this week?

This is her official site and they do include a good audio page.

http://www.madeleinepeyroux.com/

http://www.madeleinepeyroux.com/index.php?id=audio.php

The site does have a lot of good music but the new CD is not sampled here.

Amazon does have samples from the new CD Careless Love.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002NRRAG/002-1399853-6371203?v=glance

Careless Love

Madeleine Peyroux

1. Dance Me To The End Of Love

2. Don't Wait Too Long

3. Don't Cry Baby

4. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go

5. Between The Bars

6. No More

7. Lonesome Road

8. J'ai Deux Amours

9. Weary Blues ListenMusic

10. I'll Look Around

11. Careless Love

12. This Is Heaven To Me

Clips for all the above songs at Amazon.

I will say this sounds like a great CD and the clips show how smooth and mellow her voice is.

Great find!

Greg

I am recommending two CDs from the band "Sister Hazel," a Florida group who is probably best known for their song "All for you" which got a lot of airplay in 1997-98. Their style, for lack of better terms, is mainstream 90s rock. They have an upbeat style of songwriting, with strong vocal harmonies (think REM's "Shiny, happy people"). Their songs also remind me alot of the Gin Blossoms, another (early) 90s mainstream band. The instrument line up is standard rock, with a prominent acoustic guitar, not unlike the Eagles sound. Their 1997 CD with their hit "All for you" is entitled "..somewhere more familiar."

Their first CD is also very good, simply titled "Sister Hazel" from 1994. It features both electric and acoustic numbers, done energetically (not folky at all). It is actually their demo CD, partially recorded in somebody's house, and has a very clean close-miked sound and a pleasing sense of acoustic space. It includes an acoustic version of "All for you," which sounds great, and finishes with a rousing acoustic cover of Sam Cooke's "Bring it on home."

This is a quiz. How are these highly recommended albums and singers related?

Johnny Cash - "Johnny Cash and His Hot and Blue Guitar"

Bob Dylan - "Nashville Skyline"

Kris Kristofferson - "Me and Bobby Mcgee"

John Prine - "John Prine"

Two part answer and it's nothing profound (in fact, it's a bit lame)

but whoever gets the correct answer wins a box of vacuum tubes.

I'm listening to a "classic" right now, Yes-Relayer on CD, Progressive rock, of course.

The first track,"Gates of Delirium" a 22 minute epic is amazing, Yes never sounded better. The original LP only had 3 tracks. Gates took up one side and "Sound Chaser" along with "To Be Over" took up the other. The CD has 3 bonus tracks that are basically filler, But the original 3 more than make up for it.

If you don't know this CD, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

Ron

Can I chime in twice in one week?

I just completed my Phil Keaggy collection today. He released an album on the label Canis Major (now defunct) as a limited run, fan club only CD in 1997. Until today, it was the only one of Phil Keaggy's 52 solo albums that I did not have. It is entitled "On the Fly" It contains nearly 71 minutes of vintage Keaggy.

This man is the most underrated guitarist in the world IMO...

It is a eclectic mix of acoustic and electric guitar, with most of the material being played on a handmade "Parker Fly" guitar.

Check out my new avatar. It is the album jacket of this CD...and yes, Phil is missing most of his ring finger on his right hand. It is a handicap that allows him to do some amazing things that no one else can do.

Have I mentioned that I like Phil Keaggy's music...[H]

Do your self a favor and track down some of his music. Occasionally a little hard to find, but always worth it. You all let me know if you want some specific suggestions of easier to find Keaggy material...

Can I chime in twice in one week?

I just completed my Phil Keaggy collection today. He released an album on the label Canis Major (now defunct) as a limited run, fan club only CD in 2002. Until today, it was the only one of Phil Keaggy's 31 solo albums that I did not have. It is entitled "On the Fly" It contains nearly 71 minutes of vintage Keaggy.

This man is the most underrated guitarist in the world IMO...

It is a eclectic mix of acoustic and electric guitar, with most of the material being played on a handmade "Parker Fly" guitar.

Check out my new avatar. It is the album jacket of this CD...and yes, Phil is missing most of his ring finger on his right hand. It is a handicap that allows him to do some amazing things that no one else can do.

Have I mentioned that I like Phil Keaggy's music...[H]

Do your self a favor and track down some of his music. Occasionally a little hard to find, but always worth it. You all let me know if you want some specific suggestions of easier to find Keaggy material...

I have a Glass Harp double CD called "Stark Raving Jams" with the great Mr. Keaggy on it. Its awesome. Guess I'll have to try some of his solo offerings now. I like the fact he's a Christian also.

Ron

His official website is www.philkeaggy.com. Most of his still in production albums are available there.

Here is a listing of what I think to be his best instrumental albums. He also does a vast array of styles with vocals as well. He is a much better guitarist than a vocalist, IMHO...but his mastery still shows through on those albums as well. Check out "Crimson and Blue" or the album "Inseparable". These are about his best offerings as a vocalist with full band. Also, I miss typed on my first entry about this guy. He has 52 Solo albums plus about 4 or 5 with the band Glass Harp.

A fan of his on the website lists his songs. By my count from this fans website, the number of songs released count is approx. 590 excluding repeats, remixes, rerecordings, reprises, radio edits and live versions. But she didn't exclude cover tunes, or songs Phil recorded but isn't credited as songwriter. Still, you got to wonder where that much ispiration comes from...

Instrumental albums to check out:

"220" (Electric guitar instrumental album)

"On the Fly" (Just checked his website today, and this album is now in production again and available for order)

"Acoustic Sketches"

"Lights of Madrid"--(showing his true mastery, he delves here into Spanish/Flamenco style music)

"Beyond Nature"--his most uniquely original recording--I fell in love with Keaggy's music when I heard this album

"Majesty and Wonder" (Christmas album recorded with the London Philharmonic--superb Christmas album)

One other thing about Keaggy. You always get your money's worth. Most of His instrumental albums clock in at better than 60 minutes, and some are as long as 70.

Enjoy....

Ok - here is my pick for the week. I've heard this album and

think it is a good live album. Something completely different

than what has been posted this week - call me a rebel![:D]

Artist: Wynonna (Judd) / Her Story - Scenes From A Lifetime / Country cd / 2 cd set

All Songs recorded live from the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville

CD 1:

1 Dream Chaser

8 She Is His Only

Need

2 A Girls Night Out

9 Tell Me Why

3 Love Is Alive

10 No One Else On

Earth

4 Maybe Your Baby's Got The Blues

11 That Was Yesterday

5 Young Love

12 I Want To Know What Love Is

6 Let Me Tell You About Love

13 Is It Over Yet

7 Love Can Built A Bridge

CD 2:

1 Shining Star

8 People Get Ready

2 To Be Loved By You

9 I Can Only Imagine

3 Help Me

10 What The World Needs

4 Don't You Throw That Mojo On Me

11 The Best

5 I'm The Only One

12 Peace In This House

6 Sometimes I Feel Like Elvis

13 What I Reach The Place I'm Going

7 Burnin' Love

Attitude

post-18644-13819272015396_thumb.jpg

I've gotten into something old and something new this week.

Genesis: "The Platinum Collection" - CD - Rock - This 3 CD set provides a good overview of Genesis

the progressive era with Peter Gabriel to their more top forty leanings of more recent years.

Songs range from "Supper's Ready" and "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" to "Abacab"

and "Paperlate" on to "Tonight Tonight Tonight" and "I Can't Dance".

Eric Clapton: "Back Home" - DualDisc - Rock - The best way for me to describe this is it's Eric the family

man, from the picture in the booklet to the songs. A very warm sounding CD. Favorite

tracks are "Revolution" and "So Tired". Anyone who has kids will be able to relate to "So

Tired".