Thelonius Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall

jazman

The Thelonious Monk Qrt. /John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall-LP

My CD version of that great 1957 event has arrived. If you are one who appreciates these two artist, this is a no brainer purchase. Absolutely wonderfully excecuted performances and wonderful recording work. I have also ordered the vinyl edition of this event which is not due to be released until mid November, but I'm tickled to no end that I did not wait for the vinyl release only. Available, as far as I know, only at;

http://mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=231-MR-LP

Klipsch out.

DAMN there was some SERIOUS blowing going on!

Yeah, music can really enhance that experience. Makes it

kinda hard to pay attention to the technical aspects of the recording,

though. Good thing you stayed on the road!

The Thelonious Monk Qrt. /John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall-LP

My CD version of that great 1957 event has arrived. If you are one who appreciates these two artist, this is a no brainer purchase. Absolutely wonderfully excecuted performances and wonderful recording work. I have also ordered the vinyl edition of this event which is not due to be released until mid November, but I'm tickled to no end that I did not wait for the vinyl release only. Available, as far as I know, only at;

http://mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=231-MR-LP

Klipsch out.

Thanks for the tip. Two of my favorites.

Gee, those were two absolute giants!

I bounce back & forth on listening to those old recordings. The music is incredible but the sound is sometimes problematic ( I know, it's about the music). Some of these recordings have been cleaned up pretty well and that helps. Actually, after listening fo a couple of hours, you seem to adapt a bit. Maybe some day I will pick up a used DBX or Carver AUTOCORREALTOR. Those devices helped as I recall, but I am shy about ading extra pieces in the circuit.

Wait, it is about the music ....

Good Luck ,

Tom

Tom,

I don't think you will find the sound problematic on this CD. This recording is Excellent by any standard, yesterday or today! The vinyl release will be a 200 grams effort which should equal, if not exceed the CD. Here is my brief review of the CD with it's typo included.

5note.gif

A "Must Own" Performance

This musical performance by the Thelonius Monks Quartet on this evening at Carnegie Hall is incredibly fresh even today. Monk's playing is lucid and precise. Coltrane is incredibly fluid. Shadow and Abdul-Malik provide the tight foundation. The recording of this event is excellent. I had goose bumps listening to this music. I am really looking forward to the vinyl release of this performance due in November.

Klipsch out.

KKJZ played it the other eveing. Heard most of it in my car, so I can't really comment about the fidelity, but DAMN there was some SERIOUS blowing going on!

I ordered the LP and am anxiously waiting . . .

Allan,

Speaking of KKJZ...terrible news about Sam Fields. Wasn't he a fellow B3 fan? First Chuck Niles is gone, now Sam Fields. I spent many hours sanding and tinkering in my garage listening to Mr. Fields. May he rest in peace.

Chris

Here is a link to a thread (with links) about this at the Hoffman Forum:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=52183

Post #6 in that thread has a link to a 7 page thread at Organissimo.

Tom, some excellent recordings came out of the 50's. This one was transferred by Mosaic from the original 15ips masters--so hopefully it will be quite good. Depends mainly on the effort VOA put in to the original recording.

Mark

Tom, some excellent recordings came out of the 50's. This one was transferred by Mosaic from the original 15ips masters--so hopefully it will be quite good. Depends mainly on the effort VOA put in to the original recording.

Mark,

Again, this is an excellent recording of the event. I seldom comment on the "quality" of a recording, but a good job was done on this. You will find all of the instruments very distinct. Coltrane's unmistakeable intonation, Monks work on the 88's, Abdul-Malik of bass, Shadow Wilsons drum work, in particular the rendition of Epistrophy. This recording is better than a lot of studio work.

Klipsch out.

I grew up listening to this stuff....For those not familiar with Thelonious Monk, also try his recordings on Columbia, starting with Monk's Dream and Criss Cross. I am a huge fan of Chick Corea (next generation after Monk and others) but T Monk is hands down the most stimulating keyboard master I have ever and will probably ever hear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There's evidence of settlements with one long village street. Hamlets farmsteads little towns the framework was complete....."

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably grab the CD too because I'm afraid of 200gm pressings given Classic Records problems with them.

Since someone mentioned Bill Evans, I picked this up in the used bin at Sam Goody today. Just waiting for the tubes to warm up before giving it a spin.

l18872.jpg
Doug Sax mastered SACD! [:D]
Unfortunately they cut the inserts down to fit it into a regular jewel case. It was originally a super jewel case. Bastardos![:(]

I'm afraid of 200gm pressings given Classic Records problems with them.

Care to elaborate?

Thanks,

Steve.

issues?

http://www.musicangle.com/feat.php?id=104

The Complete Live at the Village Vanguard box set is an amazing recording, available earlier only by owning the vinyl, or a pricey 20-bit K2 Japan import remastered from the original tapes; based on the sonics of the new Riverside release I'm guessing the same remastering process was used.

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/html/evansbox4443.html

Analogue Productions' Moon Beams, like most of their jazz reissues, are the cream of the SACD crop IMO. Essential Evans music, recorded in 1962 following the death of bassist Scott LaFaro.

back to the history of Monk and Coltrane, the Carnegie Hall recording is a treasure. I hear something new with each listen,

http://www.bluenote.com/playasx.asp?MediaID=2481 (broadband)