Which SS power amp to mate with Peach & Khorns?

Coytee

I've got the low power part of the equation taken care of (SE-OTL). (Sounds great, less filling).

I've got a niles switchbox so I want to get a second amp. I want the second amp for those "I'm working outside & want to hear it through the walls moments"

I don't care the brand... I just want it to match up nicely with the Peach and Khorns. I want it to be 100 or 200 (or even more... ) per channel. My wish list:

1. 200 watts (or up to Khorn max)

2. Match perfectly with Peach

3. Match perfectly with Khorns

4. Capable of snapping my pants with bass response

5. Good imaging & all that good stuff

6. Dead quiet

Don't care if it's McIntosh, or NoIntosh (poor attempt at humor)

I don't want to start a war or a pissing contest so pleaseeeeeeeee... you flea guys... I am a beliver and I have one... you horsepower guys... I HAD one and want to get another one. Let's all work together

[:D]

Coytee,

I also have K-Horns, so I will interested in the repsonses that you get.

However, let me ask an innocent question: Why in the heck would you need 200 watts of power with a speaker that is so efficient?

Seriously, is it likely that an amp will be both clean sounding, dead quiet and also have that much wattage. My limited sampling has indicated that the efficiency of the K-Horns is ruthless in revealing any hiss, hum or distortion in an amp (or pre-amp or source).

Good luck,

-Tom

Richard,

I can't make any specific recommendations but, if i were looking for a reference quality SS amp for my Khorns, my criteria would be Class A biased operation, at least 50 WPC and a guarantee from the seller that it's impedence would match the Peach or I could return it.

Class A to eliminate the switching transients of the SS devices and any noise or TIM associated with it.

50 WPC to give a good 20db headroom for transients on the Khorns.

Other considerations are the "voicing" the design engineer put in. Since everyone percieves sound differently, there must be a symbiance. Reliability reputation, price and resalability.

All that said, those Red Gum amps intrigue me. I like the key start![:D]

My $.02 YMMV.

Rick

I run K Horns and a Peach. To answer another question that was asked, the mega power SS amp allows for headroom. My high powered SS amp really woke the K Horns up and added a lot of bass.

I run a QSC PLX 1202 (something like 120 watts from 20 to 20,000 at low THD). These can be picked up new for about $600 or a used for for much less on ebay. This is the amp that Trey reccomended to Dean. I changed the fan out with a quieter one ($20). If you like tripath, Carver has a 1600 model (I think that is the number) that is quite clean. These amps are really clean sounding, quiet and cheap. Very impressive. Crown has some offerings that don't use fans. These are all pro amps so XLR connectors are a must (I made my cables).

Note that a tube amp with 50 WPC will play really loud because when it distorts, it is that sweet tube sound. In an SS amp, you don't want it to distort becaus eit sounds aweful, hence teh ned for a lot of power.

Enjoy.

Chris

hi,

I understand where your coming from. I have a high current ss power amp (

soundcraftsman 230 watts/channel .. it plays for 45 seconds after you

turn it off ).i hook ot up wheni want to rock me and the walls.

My thoughts as per your described needs

.. Lots of power and high current

.. Not to expensive, unless you listen outside the " walls" a lot

.. don't know how a Peach will match to anything, my AES AE-2 with 20 db of gain can really heat up the soundcraftsman

.. I guess you need a tuby ss amp to mate with Khorns

.. Bass is the trump card of high current ss amps

.. don't know about imaging with various ss amps, the Soundcraftsman does ok

.. most of them are quite

Look at this

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1134139945

I believe ADcom has a good rep and the price is right .. sounds like it can handle low impeadence loads

Larry

Coytee,

I know you are asking for a recommendation for an SS amp, but my question would be... why not be open to a tube power amp?

Mark Deneen must be right around the corner from bringing his first pCAT to market.

I bet between the Peach and a pCAT you'd never run it wide open even if the power amp was only 20wpc.

That would be ONE KILLER SYSTEM with Khorns.

Gee, after I asked about why one needs 200 watts of power to drive a K-Horn, the comments have become murkier.

One responded that the 200 watts gives the necessary headroom. Given the efficiency, that is quite a bit of headroom.

A second person responded that not only is the extra power needed, but the amp should also be capable of high current levels. Yes, I have used high current amps for driving speakers that drop to low impedance (esp at low frequencies) ie, 2 ohms. But K-Horns do not present that problem.

Given the efficiency and impedance of the K-Horn, this has become an interesting topic.

Good luck,

-Tom

Tom,

I don't listen at 'live' vols--but (and I suspect this is treading on volatile ground) just to throw out one explanation of the possible interest in higher watts:

Peak dBs at live events have been studied by many and it seems they tend to run (classical and jazz) in the 118dB to 127dB range. At bit higher in rock.

Using the Crown calculator, assuming 104dB Khorns, standing 4 meters distant, and wanting un-clipped peaks at the low end of that scale (120dB)....637 watts.

Hope I did that right....

Mark

hi,

"

hi,

"

Coytee said 4. "Capable of snapping my pants with bass response"

I'm sure this is impossible, unless you are just kiddin"

Ahhh.. no, I've had my pants snapped more then once, as a matter of fact they almost fell off once

Larry"

an addendum

I was drinking some sour mash at the time ( That's from TN not KY right

), can't be sure how much the sour mash had to do with it, but I swear

it was the Cornwalls and a heavty ss amp

Larry

Tom,

I don't listen at 'live' vols--but (and I suspect this is treading on volatile ground) just to throw out one explanation of the possible interest in higher watts:

Peak dBs at live events have been studied by many and it seems they tend to run (classical and jazz) in the 118dB to 127dB range. At bit higher in rock.

Using the Crown calculator, assuming 104dB Khorns, standing 4 meters distant, and wanting un-clipped peaks at the low end of that scale (120dB)....637 watts.

Hope I did that right....

Mark

More like 64 watts for 126db. For each 3 db you need double the power. Taking the additive effect of two Khorns (add 3db), 1 watt will provide 107db; 110=2w; 113=4w; 117=8w; 120=16w; 123=32w; 126=64w. A higher power rating, in a quality amp, would just suggest that the power supply would have no trouble with transients. Most good amps can double or triple their rated power for transients.

With room gain, I've seen 128db average on my RS meter with a 125WPC Marantz 2325 more than once.

What's that? Speak up! I'm a little bit deaf don't cha know![:(]

Rick

Rick,

I believe you have Coytee sitting a meter away from his speakers.

My calculation was stated at 4 meters. So what 20 watts will do at 3 ft--380 watts at 4 meters.

Right about two speakers--correcting for that gives a number in the upper 300 watts.

Re room gain, the calculator I was using suggests it is mainly going to matter at lower freq.--and more accurate numbers are had by ignoring it unless a sub, or very low extension speaker is used.

Also--Coytee was going to be outside.

Re amp headroom. I think generally you don't want to count on it. Crown says peak power is generally only 1dB higher than continuous power--and depends on duration.

And my example was at the low end. 2000 watts might get you 129dB peaks :-)

Getting real loud is fairly easy--doing it cleanly is more difficult.

I know this can be argued back and forth--but I was mainly trying to indicate that lots of power is not totally useless just because the speaker is efficient.

Myself--I doubt I get past a couple watts usually--

Mark

Edit: I'm not suggesting 400+ watts. Only an example to show why 200 watts on a Khorn might not be irrational--per question above.