Where is the V1 6dj8 tube slot in the Peach?

HeritageBob

Im slightly confused with this now after trying to do some research and not noticing too huge a difference in swapping tubes thus far.

The Instruction booklet provided with the Peach shows V1 to be the far left tube slot in the trio when viewed from the front of the preamp.

I have read posts though on the forum here that say V1 is the far right tube slot in the trio when viewed from the front of the preamp.

If I had to guess by looking at the markings on the circuit board I would say its the far right one because the other two are marked left and right respectably, but this would contradict the instruction booklet.

I wish to run in HI mode mostly and only want to roll in one tube, but I dont want to mess the pramp up by putting it in the wrong slot seeing that V2 and V3 should be matched brands.

Any help would be appreciated,

Bob

The 6DJ8 is a twin triode (dual element ) tube. V1 and V2 probably indicate the same slot because it is the same tube.

Many circuit schematics I have viewed represent the FUNCTIONAL parts of a multi function tube (like a dual triode) as V1 and V2, that is - both circuits go through the different sides of a dual element tube where one is labeled V1 and the other labeled V2. Usually there is a drawing convention that tries to indicate that the V1 and V2 are both in the same physical tube.

For example, in a preamp the input signal may go through one side of a twin triode for the first gain stage, then go thought the same tube again, but this time using the OTHER side set of elements for the second gain stage.

So maybe the V1 slot you are looking for is the same one as the V2 because they are the same tube.

Paul

Well I understand how the Peach works though. In HI mode only the V1 tube is used for gain. In LOz mode V1, V2, and V3 are used, being that V1 is gain and V2-V3 are cathode followers. I only want to roll one tube in (V1 slot). I just dont know which slot is the V1 slot on the Circuit board out of the 3 tubes on it. Just a little confusion between the supplied instruction manual and what others have said in the forums is all I have going on here and want to be totally sure. Hoping mark will chime in eventually and set me straight.

Bob

• 8 months later...

Well, I am embarrassed to say the manual is incorrect. I've read the manual a couple times in the past year, and just never caught the error. I know when I've emailed people, I've always told them the correct answer, but the manual is wrong. V1 is the tube in the MIDDLE of the PCB, or when viewed from the front it would be the RIGHTMOST of the three tubes. V3---V2---V1 Wow, I don't know what to say, except "whoops!" So, if you prefer the Hi Mode, place your premium tube in the V1 slot. V2 and V3 are NOT USED in the Hi Mode. (However, you must have tubes installed in the sockets anyway.)WHY? If you prefer SuperLoZ mode, ALL tubes are engaged. Now, it is perfectly acceptable to treat the V1 tube different than V2 & V3. Which means, you could have a CCa in V1 and a pair of Bugle Boys in V2 & V3. But you should NOT have V2 different than V3. V2 & V3 should always be the same type, but can be different than V1. I guess I had better DUCK while all the bricks are hurled at me, huh? mdeneen

Well the manual may be wrong but there is a sticker on the chassis that shows the correct orientation for the tube positions, right there in the unit. Don't know if all units have the same sticker I do. But it helps.

Like Heritage Bob mentions you can also notice the board traces. They are the same for v2 and v3 around the sockets, and v1 has a unique trace pattern if I remember correctly.