Help me pick out a great dvd/ cd player...

IndyKlipschFan

I will be using this for the HT... Infocus 7210 projector with the the Firehawk screen.

It needs to have a DVI output ( I know HDMI is all the rage, but have a DVI cable already drawn. I figured, why send a audio connection feed to the DLP. Llike I would use the speaker in the DLP Projector for anything...LOL NOT!) Worse comes to worse..I will just get an adapter from DVI to HDMI if I need to at the back of the DVD player.

Optical out for all the latest sound formats.. Into the pre amp

I am looking at a Denon 2910 or will buy the DVI cable to HDMI connection for the Denon 1910.

The 2910 is about 600.00, I have not looked at the 1910 price wise yet.

Your thoughts... Could be 99 - 700 dollars ( I am at the end of my budget.) I think you get into la la land after that really trying to hear/ see any difference in 1k - 5k dollar DVD/CD players.

Any other suggestions?

I appreciate any of your serious suggestions.

Loooking into the samsung models. They are a great price. A

very stable player. Unlike Sony's 975. DO NOT GET IT!

unless you enjoy having to manually unlock the tray after the unit

decides on it's own to lockup. Lot of glitches with the 975 from

sony. Yamaha has a new piece as well that you should look

at. LG has a few as well that I would also stay away from as they

are glitchy also.

Denon's are great. The 5910 in unreal!!! but a little out

of price range. That whole line is great. Burr Brown for

audio, faroudja for video. Not bad not bad. I myslef would

go with the Denon, but figured I'd through a few other out there.

Pioneer has a next generation DVD player coming out soon, the DV-79AVi. It has HDMI, great build quality with dual power supplies for audio and video, top quality DACs and a lower MSRP than its predecessor. It will convert DVDs to higher resolution formats, e.g., 480i to 720p. Give it a look when it hits the street.

We are just a few months away from HD DVD. When that happens, prices will fall on the old DVD format. The Pioneer flagship DVD's MSRP will go from ~$1600 on the 59 to $1000 MSRP on the 79. Street prices will be lower as well.

Bill

The Pioneer Elite 59avi should be in your price range now and I can only say really nice things about mine. You would have to have a coversion cable for the hdmi, but otherwise I would think you would be very satisfied. I bought in side by side with Denon regarding DVD and have grown to really like the SACD and DVD-A.

Regardless, Denon and Pioneer wre very close and you will probably like either one.

Also consider using a separate machine for each. The new Oppo (a

giant-killer -- check out the reviews at hometheaterhifi.com) meets all

your requirements for a DVD player and does it for $200, and a Toshiba

39x0 with it's tasty 192/24 DACs will set you back all of $50.

I know it is just a tad beyond you budget, but you can always squeeze out a few more dollars. I have to say this is one of the very few purchased I just made because, like you, I was finishing off my room and did not have the energy to look/listen/compare/shop/etc.

That said I can't say I looked at all the players out there and this one won my audition contest...but I can say I love the player for its performance and build quality.

Just get a Denon 3910 and be done with it...you won't be disappointed. Consider all the time and effort you have in the room to date. Why take a chance that there might be just a little lacking in the 2910 if you went that route.

Bone stock they are a great performer and there are plenty of people out there modding them to get even better results.

You can easily find one for less then $1K...that is probably what you spent on gas getting the LaScalas [:P]

As for the cable, you might need an adapter.

Good luck, get ready to stop losing sleep about all the details and start enjoying the room.

I will be using this for the HT... Infocus 7210 projector with the the Firehawk screen.

Any other suggestions?

I appreciate any of your serious suggestions.

IKF:

Have you already ordered the special "Infocus to DVI" converter/cable from Infocus? That's what I ended up getting for 7200. If this player is pure for movies, I would suggest to go with low cost Samsung 841 DVD/Multiformat music player ($150) with DVI output. We watch little movie but I watch OTA HDTV broadcasts more. It served me well considering low investment. In contrast to some of the HT magazine reviews, its video performance is excellent through DVI. Let me know if you need more info on the player that I think is one of the best bet for a non-videophile player. I figured the moment I would buy the megabucks highend DVD player for video, there'll be the HD player available.

Ki

Looks like the DENON 3910 is being repeated a lot too. Does anyone have any other thoughts or real life experience with this unit?

I see 1400 MSRP, on ebay roughly 800 - 1k?

Would it be that much more of a jump over the DENON 2910?

(at this point in simple language I am seeing so many facts presented it is blurry..LOL..)

CARPET TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

I've had the Denon 3910 for about a year. I run HDMI up converted to 720p to my DLP tv, excellent picture. Hi-Rez audio is outstanding. From what I understand the video is the same with the 2910 and the 3910, but the audio is a big step up with the 3910.

Can you get better than 720p? Just wondering I see you can get 1080i and 1080p-24 Hz is available on the Infocus 7210 ...

It gets a little confusing what format is what... I know all on p = progressive, and 1/2 on 1/2 off i= interlaced. Maybe some material looks better depending on the source.

Your thoughts?

You're right, the source does make a difference.

My DLP tv is 720p and when up converting the signal from the Denon 3910, 720p looks better to me, 1080i is a slightly softer picture. On my Dish 811 receiver it's the opposite, 1080i looks better and 720p is softer looking. My HD DVR automatically passes through whatever signal it receives to my tv and the picture is great whether it's live or recorded.

Good to hear Rick. I felt the same way about the Samsung DLP with the Comcast HDTV box.. 1080i does if ever so slightly... look better than 720P. On other DLP's I have heard with fast sports you want 720P.. Maybe I am just lucky?

I will say the mix of my upstairs DVD player.. DVI out and Optical out..with the right movie is every bit as good as HDTV signals over the Comcast box.... Breathtaking.

I want that same, if not better experience, with the Downstairs DLP projector too.