Yet another Dynaco Mk III variation - tempting at $1K!

codhead

I hate to say it but, I agree with Craig. I thought the same thing when I first looked at the amps. "Great build quality but why waste it on that front end". I didn't post not wanting to be negative. (By agreeing with Craig, it becomes positive.-)

They appear well built however and will be worth the grand to someone. It will cost me more than that by the time I am finished with the Mark III based amps I have been slowly building . If anyone here buys them, I would advise a cap board upgrade from Uncle Ned at Triode Electronics. Inexpensive insurance.

Rick

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it but, I agree with Craig. I thought the same thing when I first looked at the amps. "Great build quality but why waste it on that front end". I didn't post not wanting to be negative. (By agreeing with Craig, it becomes positive.-)

They appear well built however and will be worth the grand to someone. It will cost me more than that by the time I am finished with the Mark III based amps I have been slowly building . If anyone here buys them, I would advise a cap board upgrade from Uncle Ned at Triode Electronics. Inexpensive insurance.

Rick

If anyone here buys them, I would advise a cap board upgrade from Uncle Ned at Triode Electronics. Inexpensive

And a chassis hole punch and files to get it in there!!

Rick what are you doing for a front end for the Mark III Iron power amp project?

I got a pair of Roy's boards. I can't say I am overly impressed with the quality or documentation. I will reserve final judgement until I hear them. If Shannon Sparks made Mark III boards, I'd have them in a heartbeat.

Actually, all that would be needed to put Ned's boards in is to move that junction block. The board would mount to the underside of the output tranny which is where that multi-cap can is now.

Rick

post-12829-13819273741122_thumb.jpg

I got a pair of Roy's boards. I can't say I am overly impressed with the quality or documentation. I will reserve final judgement until I hear them. If Shannon Sparks made Mark III boards, I'd have them in a heartbeat.

Actually, all that would be needed to put Ned's boards in is to move that junction block. The board would mount to the underside of the output tranny which is where that multi-cap can is now.

Rick

Sorry Rick I misunderstood what board you were referring too! I thought you meant the triode electronics "front end board". The other guy on eBay or Agon selling the painted up Mark III's is even worse he is installing 500V JJ caps in place of the 525V that is specified his story is he specs a 5U4 rectifier rather the 5AR4 which actually makes matter worse at start up since the 5U4 is a instant on it really slams the can! The 5U4 will only drop about 10V in the amp once things are warmed up which is at least some improvement but again does nothing for the start up problem. His reply to me was well I use the amps for a month before selling them ...... Talk about lame engineering. What about a year or two down the road. Simple inrush current limiter fixes the start up problem nicely.

I personally think when using the new chassis or original chassis the cap board is a silly idea the caps that fit on those boards were never designed for the ripple and demand of the tube amp. With a new chassis or Mark III chassis I went to great pains to design a PS with full size can caps that will fit and upgrade the filtering substancially beyond the cap boards capacity. Those cap boards were designed at a time when absolutely no can caps were available that would fit. That time is long past no reason to use them at all. You just have to be creative.

You really should of gotten ahold of me on the front end of the amp! I would of sold you a pair of mine but you would of recieved absolutely no documentation [;)] Roy's cut in half ST70 board for your Mark II project? I completely modified his board for a ST 70 because I just couldn't get it to work the way I liked as delivered. Way to sensitive (noisy) being below .5 V to full power among other small issues. The sensitivuty problem isn't huge as long as your using a very low gain/noise floor preamp which rules out most vintage. Be prepared to do some serious tweaking using that circuit on a Mark III one of his buddies that lives about 30 miles from me was really scratching his head with the first boards that he shipped for the Mark III. I was asked to help iron it out but I said no thanks I have my own boards ;) I'd design a Stereo 70 board myself but there are very few ST70 users willing to pay a pro to go through there amp I just don't see it being worth the time and investment. I've been meaning to try Shannon Sparks ST70 board but just haven't had the chance to get with him.

I'm actually thinking of just doing a point to point wiring setup on ST70 using a real nice fiberglass terminal board and forget these circuit boards all together.

Craig

Hi, Craig:

"Read your post !! Does it only apply if a person is in agreement with you. My post above is my opinion and I believe I have a right to it whether you like it or not."

I don't need to read my post; I know what I wrote. You have completely missed my point. I already knew and continue to know what your take is on the subject of....ahem.....subjectivity. Your opinion on that specific subject happens to be different than mine, and you may rest assured that I neither like it or dislike it. You're entitled to your opinion as much as I am.

Let me say it again: What a given person perceives in terms of the quality of sound of an audio system is going to vary according to individual tastes, preferences, and so forth. What does not sit right with me, is when the person who happens to think that the sound of the system in question happens to be very, very good, tells another listener in the same room that his/her opinion, by the simple virtue of the fact that it's different, and indeed may perceive the sound in a negative rather than positive light, is WRONG. This happens with the SET-low power/PP-higher power debate constantly.

You are correct. You have every right to your opinion on subjectivity in audio, and I don't agree with it.

Erik

"You really should of gotten ahold of me on the front end of the amp! I would of sold you a pair of mine but you would of recieved absolutely no documentation"

I wish I had. All I really would have needed was a schematic and a photo. Of "coarse" the documentation and help you gave me with the rebuild parts for my 299C were excellent. There is a lot to be said for masking tape.[;)]

Rick

Hi, Craig:

"Read your post !! Does it only apply if a person is in agreement with you. My post above is my opinion and I believe I have a right to it whether you like it or not."

I don't need to read my post; I know what I wrote. You have completely missed my point. I already knew and continue to know what your take is on the subject of....ahem.....subjectivity. Your opinion on that specific subject happens to be different than mine, and you may rest assured that I neither like it or dislike it. You're entitled to your opinion as much as I am.

Let me say it again: What a given person perceives in terms of the quality of sound of an audio system is going to vary according to individual tastes, preferences, and so forth. What does not sit right with me, is when the person who happens to think that the sound of the system in question happens to be very, very good, tells another listener in the same room that his/her opinion, by the simple virtue of the fact that it's different, and indeed may perceive the sound in a negative rather than positive light, is WRONG. This happens with the SET-low power/PP-higher power debate constantly.

You are correct. You have every right to your opinion on subjectivity in audio, and I don't agree with it.

Erik

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwn

"You really should of gotten ahold of me on the front end of the amp! I would of sold you a pair of mine but you would of recieved absolutely no documentation"

I wish I had. All I really would have needed was a schematic and a photo. Of "coarse" the documentation and help you gave me with the rebuild parts for my 299C were excellent. There is a lot to be said for masking tape.[;)]

Rick

Yea that masking tape is a life saver [;)] How far along are you with this project? It's never to late to go in another direction.

Craig

Jeff:

"My students would probably like this to be true.
But too bad for them, I set the standards and they have to follow it."

Really?

Your point being........?

Erik

ennui.jpg

Ennui only rouses himself from his torpor to cajole other Warriors to be more interesting. Ennui has limited weaponry at his disposal, but his majestic affectation of boredom provides an effective defense to attacks. When pressed in battle he will announce his intention of moving on to a more stimulating forum, but instead he will generally lurk quietly until the threat passes.

More internet warriors on:

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/index.htm

This one reminds me of some of my favorite people.

grammarian.jpg

Grammarian usually has little to contribute to a discussion and possesses few effective weapons. To compensate, he will point out minor errors in spelling and grammar. Because of Grammarian's obvious weakness most Warriors ignore him.

Now who does this remind you of? To darn funny.......

weenie.jpg

Weenie is a very sensitive guy, and it angers and saddens him that everyone isn't just as sensitive as he. An admitted male feminist, Weenie is ever vigilant against anti-progressive attitudes. Though he seldom comes into personal contact with the working classes, he keenly feels the pain of their oppression nonetheless . Weenie's chief antagonists are Troglodyte, Evil Clown, Capitalista and sometimes Ideologue. Because of his natural petulance Weenie can easily be goaded into battle, but he is encumbered by a tendency to throw temper tantrums when severely pressed.

Man they even have good old Parrot

troller.jpg

Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.