Yet another Dynaco Mk III variation - tempting at $1K!

codhead

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I sure wish you two got along better. Something happen somewhere else that I missed?

Craig's comment is based on the high number of old DIY pieces that have crossed his bench, and in the context that many of them were built by people in such a manner that it would have served everyone well if they would have had their worked checked by a qualified technician after completion.

I don't see what the big deal is here. Damn, go for it -- just be prepared to spend some money on the right tools, do enough reading so you're not a complete ignoramous before you start, and spend some time with the soldering iron until you feel like you can do a good job without mucking it up. Be safe, keep distractions to a minimum, pay attention to what you're doing, and keep the little ones away from the bench while you're working. All we are saying is not to fall for this "easy as eating pie" BS. It's not like tying your freaking shoes, it's at least as challenging as getting a good knot out.

"Man, I sure wish you two got along better. Something happen somewhere else that I missed?"

Not likely, I have a thing about being constantly told his opinion is the only way.

"Craig's comment is based on the high number of old DIY pieces that have crossed his bench, and in the context that many of them were built by people in such a manner that it would have served everyone well if they would have had their worked checked by a qualified technician after completion."

No actually with most kit amps I think they should of never even picked up the Iron. Trust me on this.... a good number of them are pure nightmares that take twice as long to trace down all the errors and poor solder joints. This being with some of the best instructions ever produced. By hey it's easy!!!!!!!! Easy to have these opinions from the Cheap seats

Dean:

Ok.......................................

"All we are saying is not to fall for this "easy as eating pie" BS. It's not like tying your freaking shoes, it's at least as challenging as getting a good knot out."

Yes it is. I don't agree with you on the knot account though. The fine motor skills required to untie a very tight and difficult not are significantly greater than simply holding one thing in one hand an another thing in the other (that's what soldering is).

For those of you who haven't tried it, soldering does not involve specialized skills. They are skills that may be different from what you are used to, but they are certainly not difficult.

Dean: You learned, I learned, Craig learned, Lessard learned, Shawn learned, Marvel learned, Tom Mobley learned, our former member Cut-Throat learned (makes outstanding networks, BTW) -- there are many on this forum who learned. My brother built a Heathkit guitar amp kit when he was in middle school, and as I've said, my mom decided she wanted to build a radio for herself -- and she built a kit.

Why are we special?! I don't think the fact that I know how to solder makes me in any way 'special.' I'll say this again: If you had such a difficult time learning, which is what you're making me think, than I respect the fact that you stuck to it long enough to learn to do a good job. I've seen your work, and you solder well. Once one gets the hang of it though, the solder really sort of does it's own thing, and we just watch it.

Erik

...I need to help my wife with some things.

Well, now that both combatants have retired from the field of battle let's see what we have learned from this lengthy thread.

Some people solder in the course of making a living.

Some people solder in the course of making projects as a hobby.

Some people that do it for a living don't recommend it for everyone.

Some people that do it as a hobby recommend it for everyone.

Some people offering opposed recommendations disagree with one another.

Oh yeah, and there is a Dynaco Mk III for sale someplace for $1000.