Yet another Dynaco Mk III variation - tempting at $1K!

codhead

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry I'm boring you with my advice Craig, but I just don't think it's a good idea to solder and pump gas at the same time. Allan's advice is of equal value. I really think you should take things around here more seriously.

I did drop my pencil iron in my lap once, and it's simply amazing how fast one can get out of a chair when a soldering iron lands near their crotch.

I'm still trying to figure out which "warrior" I am.

Your right here

weenie.jpg

Weenie is a very sensitive guy, and it angers and saddens him that everyone isn't just as sensitive as he. An admitted male feminist, Weenie is ever vigilant against anti-progressive attitudes. Though he seldom comes into personal contact with the working classes, he keenly feels the pain of their oppression nonetheless . Weenie's chief antagonists are Troglodyte, Evil Clown, Capitalista and sometimes Ideologue. Because of his natural petulance Weenie can easily be goaded into battle, but he is encumbered by a tendency to throw temper tantrums when severely pressed.

These all fit your multiple personalities at one time or another

xenophobe.jpg

Xenophobe is usually a long-term discussion forum participant and he thinks of the forum as his private compound. Xenophobe regards new forum arrivals as mentally deficient and perhaps even having criminal tendencies, and they are invariably approached with suspicion and condescension. Xenophobe will mount a furious attack if a Newbie has the temerity to make critical observations about the forum's social dynamics, or questions its prevailing opinions.

nanny.jpg

Nanny tirelessly monitors forum discussions to make sure that everyone behaves. Though he is quick to admonish for off-topic messages and petty squabbling, he is generally slow to anger. Rather than wading into pitched battles, Nanny simply pulling the plug on combatants and bans repeat offenders.Weaker Warriors such as Innocence Abused, Weenie and Crybaby will run to Nanny for protection in the midst of battle.

grunter.jpg

Grunter always reponds to discussion forum messages with a single word or a short phrase, and he NEVER edits quoted material. Profundus Maximus, Philosopher, Tireless Rebutter, and other verbose Warriors find Grunter a particularly exasperating opponent because he will answer their lengthy pontifications with a simple "Yeah!". "Get a life.", "Whatever", "I agree." "Wrong.", etc. While Grunter is not a strong Warrior, he is very elusive and difficult to engage in direct battle, and only by his extended silence is there any indication that he has been vanquished.

blissninny.jpg

Bliss Ninny doesn't understand why people just can't get along. While it is entirely unintentional,
Bliss Ninny's utterly vacuous comments can drive the more pugnacious Warriors into a frenzy of
aggression. Often in the heat of battle Bliss Ninny will discuss her cat.

admin.jpg

Admin is the janitor, the cop, the mayor, the judge and sometimes even the forum doctor who tends to Warriors injured in battle - in other words, Nanny on steroids. Because he runs the forum and sets the rules Admin has the power to pull the plug on any Warrior who gets a little too frisky. Sometimes his efforts are appreciated, but like any authority figure he is also resented - especially by Jerk, Evil Clown, Enfant Provocateur, Ego, Rebel Without a Clue, Yuk Yuk, Troller, and other Warriors who would like to turn the forum into their personal playground. Most Admins are generally fair and even handed, but the adage that absolute power corrupts absolutely is as true on the internet as it is anywhere else, and it is a rare Admin who can resist bringing the hammer down if seriously pressed by a determined foe. Sycophant and other suckups will also attach themselves to a strong Admin to form a defensive perimeter around him, and more often than not Admin's enemies will be driven off without him ever having to brandish his ax. CAUTION: Admin is the most powerful of all Warriors and drawing him into direct battle invites almost certain defeat. Rebel Leader does pose a limited threat to Admin's power by fomenting a revolt and causing forum members to jump ship

bong.jpg

Is it just you or does this guy seem to babble on and on without making any sense whatsoever? Does he lurch from one non sequitur to another? Are you baffled by his obscure metaphors? Are there so many typos you think that maybe he was typing while wearing a catcher's mit? Can he really MEAN what he just said? What in the hell is hey talking about, anyway? Is this guy smoking something? Well, yes...in fact he is, and lightly tethered in orbit high above the Earth Bong remains far beyond the grasp of the even the most powerful of Warriors.

We all know secrectly this is the true you

strumpet.jpg

Strumpet finds sex talk completely irresistible and constantly forwards excruciatingly unfunny and lurid jokes to the discussion forum. She always manages to sprinkle conversations with references to private parts and will never let pass without comment any mention of the words "eat," "enter," "come," "rub," etc. She disregards the women and flirts with all the men, often bragging that she has a husband or boyfriend that expertly satisfies her putatively voracious sexual appetite, but forum members....er, participants...quickly conclude no husband or boyfriend exists. Should any Warrior challenge her directly Strumpet will disparage her attacker's sexual orientation and/or penis size. CAUTION: Strumpet may be a man.

LOL !!!!

It's great fun and very satisfying! For those with Heritage speakers, a great first soldering project would be a simple crossover!

Let me disagree with your rather optimistic "Hallmarkish" view of how DIY is simple.

Here is an excerpt from the Ariel website, a speaker design that Lynn Olson made public. It is about his view on crossover design.

A Brief Digression about Crossover Design: There is misinformation promoted in some Internet news groups that all you need is the currently fashionable expensive driver and an off-the-shelf active crossover to equal $1,000 to $10,000 commercial designs. This, to be blunt, is just plain wrong. The most exotic and advanced drivers are notoriously hard to integrate into a speaker system, and professional designers know this. The best people in this field take anywhere from 6 to 18 months to design a system that is ready for sale, and that's with years of design experience and daily access to advanced test equipment.

If you found some unusual drivers on eBay, good for you, but now it's up to you to find a professional designer and pay them for their time (I am not volunteering). To give you a idea of what this might cost you, I generally charge US$20/hour for design services, and the Ariel took me 6 months to design (pretty fast for me), so by a quick reckoning that's $20,000 of my time, at least 80% of which was spent refining the crossover. Matching the crossover to the specific drivers in the Ariel took 25 years of experience, $16,000 of hands-on time, and $5,000 of test equipment. That was with drivers that were very easy to work with.

The Ariel webpage can be found here: http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Ariel.html

While I'll never discourage someone interested in building their own stuff, I'll never encourage it either. You don't seem to realize it but the vast majority of people are totally inept with a soldering iron. Just ask DocB the about the percentage of uncompleted or non functionning kits that are sent back to him because The "Mr. ten thumbs" that tried to put it together wasn't gifted enough to say the least.

Yes building a kit is fun, yes a gifted person can build is own stuff, yes some people can learn about electronics. But it's not within everyone's reach. If someone feel he's able, he should go ahead. If someone hesitate, maybe there a reason for it...

"Let me disagree with your rather optimistic "Hallmarkish" view of how DIY is simple"

Sure, disagree. I hesitated for a few years, convinced that I wouldn't be able to ever make an amplifier. My wife also hesitated to learn to drive, but she drives very well. Hesitation, Jeff, is not uncommon when trying something completely new and different for the first time.

I don't need to confer with anyone at Bottlehead, and I know that many people send back products they are not able to finish themselves. However, there are also MANY who had very positive experiences the first time around, as is the case with the very good products from Transcendent sound.

100% DIYing, and building simple kits are vastly different, and require different knowledge sets. In terms of building a crossover for a heritage speaker, my reference is to already designed networks, similar to what Bob C and Dean offer to people. A type 'A' network is easily within reach of ANYONE who cares enough to learn how. Crossovers were the first components I learned to make 15 years ago.

Jeff: Sometimes the most effective learning takes place from making mistakes, which can certainly be the case with audio electronics. However, in my opinion and rather Hallmarkish view (good one![:)]), quitting just because something is new, difficult, and very often a little frustrating, is not necessarily a reason to quit. At least that's what I try to teach to my students.

Cheers!

Erik

Shawn comes in with a b!tch slap -- pretty funny.

I think common sense dictates that you encourage those who have some basic skillsets already in place (like knowing how to solder, and being able to read a schematic), and you discourage those who have never done anything like a kit before from jumping in with the idea "there's nothing to it", and "it's easy!". People should definitely be enouraged, but not without giving them a good idea of what they're getting themselves into. I don't think it's right to do it in such a way that allows them to think it's like working with Elmer's glue and toothpicks.

A "newbie" DIY'er doesn't mean someone who is completely green and doesn't at least understand you need at the minumum a variable temperature control station (or three irons with three different wattages), a host of tools, and a decent meter (and how to use it). I've done a good deal of soldering, but I've never done an amp or preamp kit. Truthfully, even with all of my soldering experience I look through Jeff's manual, and though I'm not intimidated by it, it makes me realize I'm not the whiz I sometimes think I am. A person needs good eyes, a steady hand, and to be able to fix any mistakes they make. That means braid and a lot of patience -- which you have to be able to do without damaging the part.

That's a very good manual by Jeff, and the perfect thing for a "newbie" like me.