Yet another Dynaco Mk III variation - tempting at $1K!

codhead

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, I'd noticed those a few days ago. I agree that they look nice AND should be a very good deal in terms of price.

The guy does very neat looking work. And I'd also guess this is someone who is doing the work out of love for the gear.

I cannot imagine that the guy is making much money for his time.

I know this builder, and have corresponded with him. He has outstanding attention to detail, and wants to make an effort to keep the products as original as possible. Many people like them that way as much as modified versions. What is 'better' or 'worse' is entirely subjective. This same seller has a number of things in the works right now...

IMO, an extremely good by for the investment.

Erik

They may not be VRDs, but they are sweet nonetheless.

Is the circuitry design based on the original (just using new parts), or are you actually talking about the components/parts/wiring being original? If so, that can't be safe, is it? I haven't been to his eBay auctions yet...

I know this builder, and have corresponded with him. He has outstanding attention to detail, and wants to make an effort to keep the products as original as possible. Many people like them that way as much as modified versions. What is 'better' or 'worse' is entirely subjective. This same seller has a number of things in the works right now...

IMO, an extremely good by for the investment.

Erik

Keeping the circuit stock when building it on a new chassis is just plain ridicules argument IMHO. There is absolutely no reason other then being to cheap to put a few extra bucks where it would do some good. If it wasn't for the quality of the Iron in Dynaco amps they would be nothing but mediocre PP at best. Just the fact that you can not get cans rated for the voltage in the amps is enough reason to at the very least use the extra space in this chassis to double up the cans so they at least have a prayer of lasting. Mark III's are renowned for taking out power supply cans in short order since they often operate right at the rating of the can and exceed its rating by 10% every time you turn it on. At least a inrush current limiter would be a good idea.

Another thing that absolutely bugs me is this statement

The end result is a transformer that is both electrically and cosmetically as new!

This is a complete line of bull. The transformer are not electrically new! There 45+ year old transformers with new lead wires and a paint job. Who knows how much stress they were placed under. 99% of the well cared for Mark III's I've worked on the cloth leads were in fine condition. The amps that had been obviously treated or stored poorly need wires replaced. Also if the chassis these transformers came from were so bad they had to be tossed then how much moisture has the transformers been subject too? Far from electrically new.

Craig

Then in another auction he says this about the stereo 70 kind of contradicting himself there isn't he?

Why modify the ST-70? The Dynaco ST-70 is probably the most popular tube amp ever built. However, by todays standards its sonic performance is somewhat mediocre. Its bass response is loose and the top-end lacks the detail required to make it a real contender. These deficiencies can be attributed to its less than adequate power supply filter capacitance and its simple but ineffective driver circuit.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

"What is 'better' or 'worse' is entirely subjective."

Sometimes, but not always. I think this is probably a case where one way would certainly perform and sound better than the other. He certainly does nice work though, and the price is fair.

Craig, maybe you should buy these all up and just mod them -- think of all the work it would save you! ;)

What is 'better' or 'worse' in terms of how one perceives, processes, and then places a value judgement on the result is, regardless of the cost of the parts or anything else, entirely subjective. Better parts do not make an already inherently challenged or poor design better. Better parts (whatever that means), however, may make such a design all the worse if the said parts tend to subjectively lean toward greater transparency and clarity.

It is completely out-of-place, and in fact even disrespectful, in my opinion, for one individual to inform another that his or her opinion, simply because it may differ from one's own dogmatic ideology, is invalid. I have seen that happen on this forum many times. I am saying that no individual has the right to set a standard for what is good or bad for anyone but themselves.

Erik

Erik,

" He has outstanding attention to detail, and wants to make an effort to keep the products as original as possible. "

Yeah, those look extremely well built and are probably a steal at that price.

Since it uses the stock circuit from the Dyna. any of the aftermarket replacement boards would probably swap in very easily too if someone wanted to go that route.

Shawn

What is 'better' or 'worse' in terms of how one perceives, processes, and then places a value judgement on the result is, regardless of the cost of the parts or anything else, entirely subjective. Better parts do not make an already inherently challenged or poor design better. Better parts (whatever that means), however, may make such a design all the worse if the said parts tend to subjectively lean toward greater transparency and clarity.

It is completely out-of-place, and in fact even disrespectful, in my opinion, for one individual to inform another that his or her opinion, simply because it may differ from one's own dogmatic ideology, is invalid. I have seen that happen on this forum many times. I am saying that no individual has the right to set a standard for what is good or bad for anyone but themselves.

Erik

Erik,

Read your post !! Does it only apply if a person is in agreement with you. My post above is my opinion and I believe I have a right to it whether you like it or not.

The things I suggested are absolute proven through time "flaws" that this builder decided to repeat. I bet old Hafler himself would agree that they were design compromises which were excepted in the name of keeping the cost as low as possible. These "at the very least" things have no Sonic effect.

I personally think these are reasonable good deal still. He surely isn't going to get rich doing it.

Shawn,

The after market boards would not fit in this amp without having to cut on the chassis to make the new tube layout stick through the top plate. The existing hole for the single driver tube is not going to line up with any after market boards upgrades tube placement.

Craig

I am saying that no individual has the right to set a standard for what is good or bad for anyone but themselves.

Good lord, Erik. No person has the right? I think we ALL have the right to say what we feel/think are standards. Of course, some or more informed than others and everyone's experience/conditions/bias is available for all to judge, as it should be. This should be weighed in when analyzing the statements (along with motive etc).

But to say one has NO RIGHT to weigh in on a opinion giving a subjective "good or bad" and stating it as a standard is overstepping it. Hopefully, everyone can deduce that these ARE opinions based on the personal experience. The tricky part is uncovering which seem to hone more on the truth and where that constantly moving line of truth is at any given moment. The variables are endless but those that take in the most when using an argument tend to get the furthest (although not always).

Besides, this place would be pretty dull without all the variety of opinions/judgments along with the debates reagarding the merits of the same.

There are nice looking. Just seems like a total waste to go to all the trouble of building them on that nice chassis and leave the circuit original. Those transformers are capable of much more.

Craig

prejudice.jpg

Thanks to Taddeo.

Awesome picture Jeff! Good point also.