Yet another Dynaco Mk III variation - tempting at $1K!

codhead

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think it's possible to DIY a cartridge?

I'm sure it could be fun. Must not be that hard.

It does sound like real fun but you do need nimble fingers for that. Maybe Craig can........

If you'll pay me by the hour I'll be right on it. How's $35 an hour sound. I work 24 hours a day by the way. I guarantee I will have the project completed within a year. (give or take 6 months. payment for first 6 month required in advance)

LOL!

"Amp building can also be very frustrating when debugging the numerous buzzing and humming that will arise along the way.

Amp building can kill you if you're careless.

I estimate that a good 99% of the world population should stay miles away from a soldering iron."

Driving an automobile can also be very frustrating when stuck in traffic for hours on end. However, one can also learn patience from the process; and in the case of debugging noise and hum, learn something about what causes those things. In other words, educate oneself. Simple concept.

Driving an automobile can kill you if you're careless. You also might blow up the next gas station you go to while filling up your tank because the cell phone on your belt (that you forgot to turn off) suddenly rings to remind you to pick up a gallon of milk on the way home.

I estimate that anyone interested in making something for oneself that works well should do so. Just as when learning to drive a car, fundamental safety precautions need to be learned and practiced, but there is no reason why one should accept paralysis because of 'what might happen' My stove might blow up tomorrow while frying an egg, or the plane I catch to go out and see my lonely mom for the Thanksgiving might crash. I could have died on the operating table when I had back surgery two weeks ago. I might get hit by a truck when I go out for my first bike ride in a few weeks.

I strongly encourage anyone somewhat interested in building an amp or preamp to absolutely do so -- and follow the instructions very carefully. Have someone on hand who knows about working with electronic equipment as well. It's enourmous fun, and if a five-year-old can learn to solder, as did his mom when she built a Heathkit shortwave radio, anyone can. It's great fun and very satisfying! For those with Heritage speakers, a great first soldering project would be a simple crossover!

Grow as an individual and challenge yourself to do some of the things you were told were too difficult. There are a number of very good preamplifier and amplifier kits that were put together with first-time builders in mind -- and all of them encourage the builder to enjoy the process, while keeping a healthy respect and fear of electricity. Every morning when I see my wife off to work, I tell her to please be careful on the way.

Learn some simple audio electronics, have fun, and be careful![:)]