Best type of capacitors for recapping Type A Xovers?

lynnm

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And not to forget the Wright 2A3 amplifiers. Some think SETs sound horrible in general, which is not so much the result of the parts used, but rather the topology in general. However, among those who can and do appreciate the lower power triode amps, the Wrights are generally well-thought-of. I've done some surgery on those in the past, and like Rozenblit's products, Wright did not use very high cost parts in the SE 2A3 monoblocks. In fact, a healthy use of carbon comp resistors is employed, but in all cases very inexpensive coupling caps (of which I remember just one, I believe). filter capacitors.

It's in the design, not the brand of part. People can fine-tune until the geese come home (or cows), and capacitors are one way of doing that. Better parts will not necessarily make an already seriously compromised or poor design better, and in fact may make it worse. However, the differences between less expensive and more expensive passives in a very well done design (in terms of attention to things like interstage impedance relationships, power supply suitability, phase inversion, etc., etc) may be only marginally different. I have a friend who refers to coupling capacitors as the final 'salt and pepper seasoning to taste.' In other words, they are not the dish itself, but rather a way to make the meal more appealing or appetizing on an individual basis. The only person who can say if more or less salt is needed or wanted is THAT person.

Erik

"Oh almost forgot! "alright" is not exceptable standard english the proper way to write it would be "all right".

Oh gosh, what am I going to do?!

[:)] This has been fun, Craig! Are you suggesting that 'exceptable' is....ahem.... acceptable? You also knead a period after the word 'english' (which shoood bee spelled with a kapitul 'E').

LOL!

buy, buy!

Erik

Dean, djk, Erik

I certainly agree with and can relate to what you fellas are saying

Im currently on my 7th set of JE Labs 300B mono-blocks (actually a couple of them were DX stereo units not mb) It always seemed not long after I get a set done, someone comes over, hears them and I end up selling them. But I just love the price/performance and continue to recommend them to anyone, especially if you have the DIY skills to build them yourself.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Anyways, the JEL plans call for a 0.22uf 600V coupling cap between the 5692 and 300B tubes. Because of their location in the signal path this cap appears to have a significant influence on the 300Bs. For the most part I have not upgraded too many of the other parts, passives or components. Certainly a few that I did may be considered more significant than others- like going from Hammond to Magnequest iron and some PS improvements, but I previewed each amp using the exact same pair of Electro Harmonix 300Bs (underrated IMO)

In the first set of blocks I built over 3 years ago I used the very cheapest 600V 0.22 that I could find locally. According to my records it was a CORNELL DUBILIER polyester film type (that looked similar to the old Atoms) and cost me a whopping $1.95! Obviously I must have thought these sounded pretty awesome through my old Altecs (or I wouldnt have built any more JELs) At least by my only available measurement of performance- my own ears!

Since then I have tried/tested/used almost every boutique 0.22 cap I could find- Hovland Musicaps, Auricaps/Cardas, Jensen paper&coppers, those silly retro Jupiter Beeswax jobs, and even a pair of those idiotic Audio Note silver foils to the tune of $199 each! (most others ranged from $15 to $75 each) Each appeared to colorize the music somewhat in their own way, and while none of them sounded bad, I certainly could not ever justify the cost of most of these artsy-fartsy capacitors.

Can you guess which Im listening to in my JELs right now as we speak? a simple #716P Sprague Orange Drop" polyprop @$2.50 and they sound AWESOMEstill

The moral of the story? (for me at least)
IF it sounds good, it's good, and IMO good enough- be done with it.
And if sounding good can be accomplished for $394 less? -well thats 3 or 4 decent bottles of single malt to enjoy while LISTENING to your system instead of working on the damn things. Ill take a shot of Macallans over all those hundreds of silver solder tokes any day! :D

Sorry for the long post

JMO
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />WopOnTour

PS> I can hardly wait to hear my latest rendition of JELs on my new Belles!
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/640835/ShowPost.aspx

The moral of the story for me is in this application the cheapest was not the best you could easily purchase a .22 cap for around 50 cents. The Orange Drop 716P costing 5 times more is far from cheap or low quality cap in my book. It tends to get a bad rap in audiophile circles. I think its a great cap for the $.

I in no way advocate $200 .22uF @ 600V caps for any application that is just plain highway robbery.

Craig

I agree about feeling sorry for the youths in my area Craig. What I see and work with on a daily basis is complex and often very sad. It's why I have devoted an enormous amount of time, money, and energy to being the best teacher I can for them.

Thanks for your empathy, particularly at this time of year -- or did I miss your meaning?

Erik

This thread was, at one time, serving as a tribute to Lynn Marshall. He would be embarrassed by what has taken place.

Lynn NEVER stooped to name calling, and he could spell. Most important, he was not so insecure as to feel compelled to correct the spelling and grammar of others. But, if he had, he would have done so without unintentionally misspelling the attempted putdown.

Neil:

You are right. This entire thread took on a tone that is unfortunate to say the least. Somewhat tired of the name calling and criticism for voicing honest opinion, I reacted on an emotional level to Craig. Lynn had asked a simple question, and the arguments about capacitor type, kind, and everything else began.

This was certainly not the place for this, and for my part, I wish I had thought before reacting.....

Erik

The problems and name calling began with the thirteenth reply to Lynn's post. If the shoe fits . . .

It's fitting that Lynn chose as his avatar a picture of Sam Clemens. I believe it was Mark Twain who said (paraphrasing), "Better to remain silent and risk being thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

The problems and name calling began with the thirteenth reply to Lynn's post. If the shoe fits . . .

It's fitting that Lynn chose as his avatar a pcture of Sam Clemens. I believe it was Mark Twain who said (paraphrasing), "Better to remain silent and risk being thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Your absolutely wrong my freind! The 6th post to this thread did not have any name calling and negativity in it at all. No one had a problem with it at the time. Then my post was then quoted 2 weeks later reading things into my post that I never said and this was where the problems started. There was no need to quote me he could of simply stated his opinion in regards to capacitors! But no he wanted a response from me directly. I think you need to read things a little closer and realize that some people spend all there time looking for ways to fire up a response. It's widely known on this forum that Erik and I do not see eye to eye. I personally wish he would just refrain from posting to me all together.

Craig

No, I think Bob started it with the second post. He has no scruples at all. He knows how sensitive I am about the cap thing, but has no problem with posting a pic of one of his networks with those damn ugly cans. It was obviously a bait directed at me and me alone.

I think Lynn had a sense of humor, I'm sure he would have found the thread entertaining.