good 100w/channel reciever

bmxfelon420

I have the Denon 2105 which is an honest 90wpc and can do 7.1 or 5.1 with a second 2-channel room. Has about every feature you could want including auto setup for delay/level. I got mine from Dakmart.com as a refurb (it was in absolute mint condition) for $460 to my door, and this included a warranty. The new Denon 2106 is pretty much the same unit with some newer features added, and of course a higher pricetag. I also have a refurbished Denon 785 (same as a 1905 but silver in color instead of black...) from Dakmart.com that was only $350 to my door. It has I believe 80wpc, and does just about all the 2105 does except for the auto setup. IMO these are two great receivers for the price. Good luck in your search!

I would suggest a quality brand like Harman Kardon, Denon, or Onkyo. Some other brands orerrate their power output. I have an HK that is listed at 75 wpc. It sounds better and louder than my old Pioneer that was 100 wpc. With Klipsch efficient speakers you don't need lots of power, just clean power. Look on this forum for used equipment or ebay, but check the seller's feedback.

You didn't specify a budget. You can spend a LOT or nor so much in this price range.

The Denon's and the HKs are nice. I've heard a lot of good things recently Panasonic Digital XR55 lately. You may want to check out the new all digital receivers.

I bought a Pioneer VSX-1015TX-K recetnly and am very happy with it. Great features, including an excellent automated speaker/room equalization capability. Supports all the new protocols and has excellent swithcing capabilities. It has plenty of power. (The 1015 is a consumer level clone of the Pioneer Elite VSX52. It's something less than $500 depending where you buy it. Yamaha also has a strong contender is this price range.

Got more money? Go for Denon or the HK. My advice is always to spend more on speakers and less on electronics if you are investing in both at the same time. if you have Klipsch speakers they are so efficient that you don't really need 100 wpc to fill most rooms. Most Klipsch systems will rattle walls with much less that 100 wpc, and as a previous poster told you, power ratings for receivers aren't standaridized so take the ratings with as a starting point, but not the only thing to look at.

Denon and HK get high ratings here, and you'll get some of us that like the Pioneers and the Yammie's too.

Best bet is to listen as much as possible and if possible buy from a place that will let you return it if you get it hooked up in your home with your speakers and your room accoustics and it doesn't sound as good as you'd like.

I agree with all of Steve's general comments but I don't have any experience with his Pioneer so I can't speak to that comment.

If I upgrade my 7-year-old HK AVR85, I am tempted to go with an Onkyo TXNR801 THX 7.1 at www.onecall.com for $554.77 plus shipping. They have 12 months no interest too. Check on froogle and pricegrabber to make sure that is the best deal out there. It looked like a lot of folks were down to $600 but onecall went lower after they had it on sale for a little while. MSRP is $999 so it looks like it is a close-out.

It has everything I am looking for EXCEPT DVI-HDMI. That's unfortunate but not a deal-killer. I suppose the replacement will have that.

i am mostly looking for used recievers right now, as my budget dictates. I saw a lot of nice onkyo recievers for around 179 or so on ebay, they look nice. I dont have klipsch speakers right now but it is an upgrade i plan in the future, so something that works good with a set of klipsch speakers would be good.

Ill look at some of the ones you guys suggested, and see what i can get. Still waiting for the insurance money back on my old reciever.

after looking, i dont see those onkyo recievers anymore, so i guess ill have to go with an older model. Any suggestions in that area? I may be able to get around 200, but it could increase or decrease depending on if i can get my roommate to contribute.

A used Denon 3803... 3802.. Would be wise too..Audiogon.com or eBay.com

or newer Denon or Harmon Kardon too.. Do not be swayed if it is 80 watts or less than the 100 you so desire... to feel duped.. you will never really hear it, trust me. You want those fist few watts to say 20 good clean watts that in my wildest dreams will be MORE than enough with your Klipsch Speakers..

I have the 3802.. it has all of the formats for 7 channel DD ex dts ...etc etc..neo 6.. your looking for.

I like the Onkyo TX-SR702. It has the upcomponet scaling for non DVD sources, the built in microphone for speaker adjustment, 7.1 and is THX certified. The 801 has ethernet but no upconvert. I picked mine up for $559 from buyrite electronics on the web.

How does the upconverting work? You're saying it will take a cable TV input and upconvert it to 720p like my OPPO DVD player does with my DVDs? It uses a Faroudja chip to do that? That would be pretty attractive! Plus, I am using my HDTV's only HDMI outlet for my DVD player so being able to use one of the many component inputs for an upscaled cable-TV input would be sweet!

My HTPC soundcard has a Toslink connection for getting the audio into my receiver so I can always forego the ethernet connection. I suppose I could use component to get the video out of the HTPC.

BMXFelon420, use Froogle or PriceGrabber to find potential sources for these receivers and then use resellerratings.com to check out the retailer before you buy. Onecall should have all these Onkyos but it sounds like your budget will preclude you from getting the 702 or 801.

I dont understand why everyone always seems to talk about HK, Denon, Onkyo, yamaha, but very rarely Pioneer or Pioneer Elite. Why don't they seem to get any respect? Audioholics have a very good review of a low cost unit:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/PioneerVSX-815ReceiverReview1.php

I have also seen some excellent reviews of the Elite models. I used to own a audio/video store and the Elites where sounded much smoother than the Yamahas. They would be my choice for a new receiver...someday when the kids are thru college!

I speak very positively about my VSX-1015TX-K frequently. It's basically a consumer version "look alike" of the Elite 52TX. With almost all of the same neat features including their highly respected MCACC room equalization. I'm very impressed with the way it powers and sounds with my Klipsch F-3 Synergy system.

You'll see others bring up the Pioneer line occassion too. There are also many Yamaha proponents out here. But in general, the HK and Denon crowd are most vocal and speak very highly of their gear.

I've not owned either Denon or HK, but I believe they make excellent gear from what I've read out here and elsewhere about them. All in all I think competition makes for excellent choices for us consumers so I love all the choices I have.

I "may" be selling my HK avr120. It's pretty good musically, and movies are a breeze. It doesn't have a ton of features like the newer Harmans, but it will beat the pants off the newer 330 in terms of musicality. I want to go back to NAD. There the absolute best for me in there price range. Anything lower it's HK for me.

I will be another poster to put in a good word for the Pioneer receivers. I've ran Pioneer for years with my Klipsch, and have always been happy. I currently have the aforementioned 1015tx-k, and am extremely happy with it.

Good clean power (120x7) and seems to have no trouble dealing with the various impedence dips that the forte's can deliver. It does run kinda hot though (typical for Mosfet technology) so give it at least 8 inches of clearance topside.

The 915 and 815 are similiar products with less power if budget constraints put you below the 500 dollar mark.

The automatic room calibration is so easy to use, and is nothing short of amazing for eqing your room.

That being said, my brother has the HK630 with a Synergy HT set up, and it is very sweet and mellow sounding. Can't go wrong with HK with Klipsch.