his maker. I'd advise you boys to keep em in the leather -

there's been enough gunplay today. I'll even buy you both a

drink. It's yer preference, outta my bottle or outta my gun

barrel you can have a round on me.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone remember the origin of this thread??? Leave it to old Sputnik to take us off the beaten path (again)..ROFL!
How about another pick from me (everyone standing - applauding wildly - whistles galore [:)]):

Soulful Sixties - Soul/R&B

1. Nowhere To Run-Martha & The Vandellas
2. Baby Love-The Supremes
3. Stop! In The Name Of Love-The Supremes
4. Every Little Bit Hurts-Brenda Holloway
5. Shotgun-Jr. Walker & The All Stars
6. Jenny Take A Ride-Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
7. When I'm Gone-Brenda Holloway
8. Something About You-The Four Tops
9. Nothin' But Heartaches-The Supremes
10. Good Lovin-The Young Rascals
11. Going To A Go Go-Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
12. Don't Mess With Bill-The Marvelettes
13. Ain't That Peculiar-Marvin Gaye
14. Message To Michael-Dionne Warwick
15. Soul & Inspiration-The Righteous Brothers
16. The In Crowd-Dobie Gray
17. Soul Shop-MAJ Music

"Come along and celebrate music's most exciting and innovative performers
on Soulful Sixties. This indispensable collection draws together a
vibrant collection of archival clips of such classic artists as The
Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Dionne Warwick, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles,
The Young Rascals, Brenda Holloway, Dobie Gray and many more. So sit back,
relax and get ready to relive those halcyon days of the Swinging Sixties."

post-18644-13819273913746_thumb.jpg

does anyone remember the origin of this thread??? Leave it to old Sputnik to take us off the beaten path (again)..ROFL!

I don't know. I'll just roll into town with my gatlin gun and lay waste to the whole damn place! That'll fix'em!

Anyway, my pick, and something a bit different.

Every wonder what happens when you mix up a string quartet with a heavy metal band? Well, the result is something like Apocalyptica!

Definitly a different sound than what I am even used to. Pretty cool, though.

I have thier self-titled album - Apocalyptica.

apo_album300.jpg

The third track - "Bittersweet" is pretty slow, almost sorrowful song. Love how it builds up.

The second track, "Quutamo" is a faster song with some interesting guitar riffs thrown in.

No denying these guys have a unique sound.

That is one hell of a pick.

Big Ginger Baker fan here!

Greg

Ginger Baker stratavarious

kinda world music/classic rock

Ginger's got quite the following very interesting site

http://www.ginger-baker.com/

Greg you got any other must have GB I'll pick it up on friday...Thanks

I love Ginger Baker's "Going Back Home" --just a trio with my fave jazz bass player and one of my fave jazz guitar players---Charlie Haden and Bill Frisell--

GB plays his jazz with a classic rock drumming style-- this is no smooth jazzzzzz--

Review

by Daniel Gioffre

Give Ginger Baker this: He sure knows how to choose his sidemen. In fact, there is a certain pleasant symmetry to his recording career between the mid-'60s and the mid-'90s. It is a career bookended by power trios, first with his partnership with fellow virtuosos Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce in Cream, and then, almost 30 years later and well after most would have written him off as a relic from a bygone era, this trio with Charlie Haden and Bill Frisell. More surprising even than this unlikely partnership is the fact that the album actually works. Most memorable are the Baker-penned compositions, which sport melodies that seem to have more in common with British or Arabic folk music than bebop. As a jazz drummer, Baker is surprisingly convincing on most of the material. The timbre of his drums, unusual for a jazz album, adds a pleasing earthiness to the proceedings, and intersects well with Haden's rich bass. Everything Frisell touches turns to gold, and this album is no exception. Here he is at his quirky, impressionistic best, tossing off Monk quotations as effortlessly as he sculpts darkly ambient textures. Despite these fine achievements, Going Back Home is not perfect. On some of the material, Baker's heavy rock hand shows a bit too much, as on "Straight, No Chaser." The results are charming in their own way, but one wishes that Baker could ease up on the "Sunshine of Your Love" tom-tom fills once in a while. Also, the closer, "East Timor," features an annoying voiceover by Baker that ends the record on an off note. However, the "rockisms" work more often than they don't, and even when they don't, the groove never suffers, and the trio members always sound like they're having fun. By turns hauntingly melancholy and fearlessly experimental, this record is sure to please Frisell and Haden fans, and likely to pleasantly surprise those who enjoy Baker's work with Cream.

.....and I like the "East Timor" song

Here's one in the spirit of the week. Album, CD, New York Rock & Soul Review: Donald Fagen and assorted cast.

e538226w2hz.jpg

Hosted by Donald Fagen, this one night Rock & Soul review live at The Beacon in NYC.

Great stuff.

Phoebe Snow, Donald Fagan, Charles Brown, Michael McDonald, and Eddie and David Brigati (the Rascals) saw to that. While some performances come off as perfunctory and there's nothing you could label outstanding, the soul is real and heartfelt. Top performances come from Brown (the oldest person in the show), Snow and McDonald, Boz Scaggs ("Drowning in the Sea of Love"), and Fagen (a jazzy "Madison Time," which he performs accompanied by Jeff & the Youngsters in a full-blown reprise that closes the concert).

"I love Ginger Baker's "Going Back Home" --just a trio with my fave jazz bass player and one of my fave jazz guitar players---Charlie Haden and Bill Frisell--

GB plays his jazz with a classic rock drumming style-- this is no smooth jazzzzzz--"

I dont know how I missed this, but thanks Yugo will get it tonight

"I love Ginger Baker's "Going Back Home" --just a trio with my fave jazz bass player and one of my fave jazz guitar players---Charlie Haden and Bill Frisell--

GB plays his jazz with a classic rock drumming style-- this is no smooth jazzzzzz--"

I dont know how I missed this, but thanks Yugo will get it tonight

Hey Travisc---you like the "Inner Secrets" by Santana--?

I had the LP 20 years ago in college, and hardly remember it--it had a few great songs and some filler, but a nice pop/jazz fusion sound to it--