Members Weekly Music Recommendatons-Oct. 17

thebes

Great participation last week and some cool stuff to stock up on.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll kick it off with:

Curtis Mayfield, "Super Fly" funk/soul lp

Oh yeah,baby. The finest "black explotation" film ever made

also features one of the cooler soundtracks of the era. Who can

forget "Freddie's Dead","Little Child Running Wild" and of course,

"Superfly". Sorta a precursor to disco. With the high

vocals of Curtis Mayfield backed by some groovin dudes it still sounds

suprisingly good after all these years. So hoist your boombox on

your shoulder, pop a comb in your 'fro and strut on down the street

with this bad boy blasting.

So what do you have to share this week.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping with the spirt this week I submit the late great "Super Freak" himself....

Rick James

Ultimate Collection - Rick James

# Audio CD (March 25, 1997)

# Original Release Date: March 25, 1997

# Label: Motown / Pgd

01 Cold Blooded

02 Give It To Me Baby

03 You And I

04 Mary Jane

05 Super Freak

06 Dance Wit' Me

07 Make Love To Me

08 Love Gun

09 Bustin' Out

10 High On Your Love Suite/One Mo Hit (Of Your Love)

11 Ghetto Life

12 Ebony Eyes

13 Fire And Desire

Despite his meteoric rise and recording success, James won only a

single Grammy, for co-writing M.C. Hammer's monster hit "U Can't Touch

This," a song sampled from James' "Super Freak."

James died Friday, August 6, 2004.

Greg

post-17133-13819273882084_thumb.jpg

Great pick TheBes -- seems like whenever Superfly is on in the middle

of the night my husband gets in "the mood".... (sorry too much info - I

know!!)

My pick for the week -- staying in the general genre - would have liked

to have posted Barry White - Love Is The Icon but it's already been

done in the past....so I'll go with my 2nd favorite group during my

high school days. All the best songs from this wonderful group.

The Best Of The Temptations CD:

Tracks:

1 My Girl

2 Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)

3 Papa Was A Rollin Stone

4 Aint Too Proud To Beg

5 Ball Of Confusion (Thats What The World Is Today)

6 Beauty Is Only Skin Deep

7 I Wish It Would Rain

8 Get Ready

9 Im Losing You (I Know)

10 Cloud Nine

11 Run Away Child

12 Running Wild

13 Psychedelic Shack

14 Superstar (Remember How You Got Where You Are)

15 The Way You Do The Things You Do

16 Keep On Truckin

17 Masterpiece

" Ladies and Gentleman , From Funk Rock Georgia , Mothers Finest ! " [8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8] Mothers Finest - Iron Age CD , Released in 1981 , Not available on CD until 2003 ! I love Mothers Finest , and this release is my favorite ! I got into CD's back in 1985 , and wouldn't you know it I had to wait 18 years for one of my all time favorite recordings to become available . There was not a time that I went into a music store and did not look for it . Two years ago there it was ! " apparently there was some legal stuff going on behind the scenes that prevented it's release on CD " . Anyway , I would best describe the music as Funk Rock . Anybody I have turned on to it Likes it alot , Including my 71 year old stepmother ! " Well at the time she was in her late 40's , and a Zepplin fan , so she's pretty hip . " Try It , You Will Like It !!!

format: dvd

group: Audioslave

Title: Live in Cuba

It's release date is Tuesday waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B7QCQS/002-6034250-8608804?v=glance&n=130&s=dvd&v=glance

Bought it in the used section with shipping it was like 15 dollars and they shipped it on monday. Not bad for something that isn't sussposed to be out yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B7QCQS/002-6034250-8608804?v=glance&n=130&s=dvd&v=glance

Bought it in the used section with shipping it was like 15 dollars and they shipped it on monday. Not bad for something that isn't sussposed to be out yet.

I bought it Sunday for $12.99 at Monster Music . Haven't checked it out yet though .

I bought it Sunday for $12.99 at Monster Music . Haven't checked it out yet though .

Is that a walk in store, or online?. Was it shipped for that? I figured it was cheaper to have it shipped to me than pay for gas.

Is that a walk in store, or online?. Was it shipped for that? I figured it was cheaper to have it shipped to me than pay for gas.

Walk in , maybe a mile and a half away .

The James Gang-Bang on LP. Classic Rock/Blues, Bang had Tommy Bolin playing guitar on it This guy was AMAZING. He was also on the James Gang LP "Miami" Check out some of his solo offerings. He was also on later Deep Purple albums, "Come Taste The Band" being the standout, IMHO. Bolin and Rory Gallagher are my two fav guitar hereos, both passed away too early.

Blessings

Ron

Walk in , maybe a mile and a half away .

Awesome deal![:)]

Superfly is a great pick and should be bookended with Isaac Hayes and the "Shaft" soundtrack. But that's not my pick since I don't know much about that urban streetwise violent stuff.

Instead, I'm pulling out the soundtrack from "A Fistful of Dollars" by Ennio Morricone since I relate more the that western gun-slinging violent stuff. When I was a kid, I wore out my parents copy of this on the ole Magnavox console. This was the coolest western theme music I'd ever heard. I know, it's an Italian movie based on a Japanese movie but it's still a great western and the music is right up there with the theme from the "Magnificent Seven" (uh-oh, based on another Japanese movie). I really like the Ennio Morricone film soundtracks including "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," "Once upon a Time in the West," and "The Mission" - just to mention a few. But I think that the "Fistful of Dollars" soundtrack is about the best of his work.

post-17394-13819273898962_thumb.jpg

I will have to look for Stratavarious. Seems that was a LP released back in 1972!

I have to admit I really like Middle Passage by Ginger Baker which is

not as rare. Audio CD was released September 24, 1991 but seems

Amazon has it in stock.

Middle Passage - Ginger Baker

01 Mektoub

02 Under Black Skies

03 Time Be Time

04 Alamout

05 Basil

06 South To The Dust

Best song on the CD "to me" is song #6 "South To The Dust".

Samples on Amazon to listen too as well.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000GBB/002-4650203-5247263?v=glance

My wife just picked up the "Cream Royal Albert Hall - London May

2-3-5-6 05" (2-DVD Set) as well as the November 26, 1968 Cream Farwell

Concert DVD today.

The drum solo on DVD-2 of the "Cream Royal Albert Hall - London

concert" shows Baker still has his stuff. Best drum solo by Ginger to

date! This is one hell of a great concert and I got to see it! Looks

great on my Dell 24" 2405 LCD monitor,,,, but it sounds wonderful due

to my Klipsch speakers! Great 5.1 sound!

Greg

That is one hell of a pick.

Big Ginger Baker fan here!

Greg

Ginger Baker stratavarious

kinda world music/classic rock

Ginger's got quite the following very interesting site

http://www.ginger-baker.com/

Greg you got any other must have GB I'll pick it up on friday...Thanks

Superfly is a great pick and should be bookended with Isaac Hayes and the "Shaft" soundtrack. But that's not my pick since I don't know much about that urban streetwise violent stuff. Instead, I'm pulling out the soundtrack from "A Fistful of Dollars" by Ennio Morricone since I relate more the that western gun-slinging violent stuff. When I was a kid, I wore out my parents copy of this on the ole Magnavox console. This was the coolest western theme music I'd ever heard. I know, it's an Italian movie based on a Japanese movie but it's still a great western and the music is right up there with the theme from the "Magnificent Seven" (uh-oh, based on another Japanese movie). I really like the Ennio Morricone film soundtracks including "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," "Once upon a Time in the West," and "The Mission" - just to mention a few. But I think that the "Fistful of Dollars" soundtrack is about the best of his work.

Sorry Sputnik , The Good The Bad And The Ugly Soundtrack was performed by Hugo Montenegro and His Orchestra ... [:P]