What is the best old school amp to power 2 klipsch la scalla speakers?

JoeBudious

I have finally bought a pair of la scalas after a year of

searching. I got them for $845. What is the best amp for

these. I PUMP house music and will be cranking these bad boys up

as I live in a warehouse with no neighbors!!!!

I'm into old workhorses that handle commercial use, not new expensive, fancy, etc.

I'll go old school tube amps if I have to

Thanks

Joe

Miami, FL.

joebudi@hotmail.com

If you indeed Pump House Music stay away from Tubes !!! After all , do you have the patience to wait 40 minutes till the Tubes warm up to play Music ? [^o)]

Where in the heck did you get the idea you have to wait 40 minutes to listen to a tube amp? I mean if he is going to be pumping the sound up he may want to give them 5 minute to wram up a bit but your 40 minute is just wrong.

Craig

Yup!

The Crown DC-300A's are often going for around $150!

Its hard to beat them for the purpose you describe and for the price for which they can be had!

Thanks for the clarification that is exactly what I meant.. Old school. clean, can be played loud... AND still running today, should tell you something about how good these are... STILL.

Add a Carver TFM series (15, 25, 35) to your list. The TFM-25 can be had all day long on ebay for 250-300 bucks. At 225 WPC you have tons of headroom to spare.

When you want to get really silly switch it to mono block mode and get another one. Just for kicks I listened to my Chorus first with one TFM driving both speakers at fairly loud levels but not ear damaging. Then I put two in the mix as mono amps...about the same volume, but I would swear it sounded better. Probably just my imagination...but it did seem better.

Crown DC300A, ballsy, rock solid performer. I agree with Indy on this. It's an old school PA amp, clean clean clean, it's just straight wire with gain, Not bassy, trebly, warm, fuzzy nothing. JUST LOUD and they're made in USA and don't break down.

Or get really nuts and get a Crown MacroTech 600 or 1200 if you need headroom to spare.

If you've got money to burn, the newer Mackie amps are nice also.

The Crown DC-300a can be a bit harsh sounding mated with La Scalas. The Onkyo is much less harsh but harder to find.

Beware using extreme high power. A friend bridged a pair of Adcom 555's into his La Scalas and wound up with permanent hearing damage. You have to respect the very high sensitivity of the La Scala and recognize that with 600 wpc (as in the case of bridged Adcom 555s) you can easily achieve more than 130 dB at 1M. Exposure to that type of SPL is damaging even over a fairly short period of time. If your ears ring when you stop the music, you are damaging your hearing apparatus. Just AWTTW

The Crown DC-300a can be a bit harsh sounding mated with La Scalas. The Onkyo is much less harsh but harder to find.

Beware using extreme high power. A friend bridged a pair of Adcom 555's into his La Scalas and wound up with permanent hearing damage. You have to respect the very high sensitivity of the La Scala and recognize that with 600 wpc (as in the case of bridged Adcom 555s) you can easily achieve more than 130 dB at 1M. Exposure to that type of SPL is damaging even over a fairly short period of time. If your ears ring when you stop the music, you are damaging your hearing apparatus. Just AWTTW

how exactly does one pump 600watts into a la scala? from what i've read, they're only capable of 100 watts, or 120 something db. are these specs vastly "under exaggerated"?