how significantly better is bi-wiring?

ranjith

Are you talking about bi-wiring where you have an active crossover and

seperate amplification for the HF and LF sections? That's the only kind

that I would claim makes an audible improvement, but costs lots of

money and it is easier to destroy the sound than to make it better (due

to user error).

As far as running two wires to the same amplifier or fool's biamping....it's a waste of time.

I bi-wired a pair of LaScala and it made a worthwhile improvement in the sound (and it only cost about $5).

A friend bi-wired his pair of Belle and didn't like the way the sound changed (more prominent mids and highs).

Whether or not you can hear a difference is something you would have to try and see.

It makes more of a difference in the three-way models than in the newer two-way models. Because of the very high impedance of the mid and HF sections (models with autoformers), you only need 18~20ga wire for a typical run. I use Teflon (available online for about $0.10 a foot), so $5 will buy enough for a 25ft total length twisted pair. No need to spend big $$$ for Kimber and such.

Thanks for all your input, I'll stay away from bi-wire for cost purposes. But, I've got more newbie questions. How is a normal speaker wire different from a twisted pair? what're the pros and cons to a twisted pair. Also what else do I have to keep in mind while buying speaker wire, material, strands count and such?

Here, I will try to make it simple so that we don't fill up your mind with so much info that your head explodes![:P]

Think 14 or 12 guage, depending upon the run length. (Or smaller if you need them for jumper cables)

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&Start=1&searchorderby=3&Manufacturer=195&CATID=56&ObjectGroup_ID=374&sm=1&so=2&raid=53&rak=sound_king

I don't hold with the notion of bi-wiring and have never tried it. But one thing that gives me pause is that DJK thinks it can make a difference and I've never heard any nonsense coming from him. A thousand other fellas could say bi-wiring was good and I'd blow them off but with DJK I gotta stop and think.

I also know another VERY astute old horny who thinks bi-wiring is beneficial even though he, a retired EE, can't explain why it should be so.

So I withhold judgment on this.

There are ways that a bi-wire can help. More copper lowers resistance which is a minor help. Also, different amplification on the high frequency side may help. The bottom line is not to spend big bucks to try it out. Zip cord in 12 awg and good banana plugs should not break the bank.

Bill