Home theater full of pride for only being 18

33klfan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it if i like it. Even if an expert decorator didn't like it, i don't really care because i do. No worry about credit card. I don't have one. I buy everything with cash or not at all, unless it's a present like the sc-1 and rs-25's were, plus some money towards some of the other stuff.

Bravo, Bravo

From an expert designer/architect (me). You are doing the right thing. Enjoy having it your way now, because someday you will get married and decor will no longer be your decision...lol

I think you need to be specially commended. You have found a happy, healthy and life enhancing hobby. Most youngsters your age would have taken that money and smoked or sniffed it, then had nothing to show for it. My 16 yo step-son thinks a home theater should consist of 5 cheap subwoofers going boom boom boom all the time. I wish he had your taste.

Thanks for that awesome reply, the best reply i ever got so far to a message i would have to say. Thanks. Nice equipment in profile. I saw a picture of that shanling and some of their other equipment. They look like a work of art. I only can look though.[:o][:)]

My decor at 18 was whatever my parents gave me. I could have cared less (except for the Christy Brinkley posters...oo la la). Gave me more cash to spend elsewhere.

My first was a Marantz receiver/record player, Pioneer 3 way stereo speaks, tape player via ghetto-rigged dual-deck Sony boombox, all very much like those in the pics. Boy those bring back memories! The sound was very warm. Soothing almost. That receiver was quite powerful.

post-13941-13819274181454_thumb.jpg

Pioneer three way speakers..ha.Way way back then I had Cerwin Vega (12" woofers,red sourrounds)with a Realistic top of the line (the line did not go to much up,LOL)receiver.

I was blasting Genesis,the simple times.Refinement of a chainsaw at its finest

If somebody told me cerwin vega was crap I gave the bum the finger,Cerwin Vega was the limit.dB limit that is [H]

33klfan: You have done well, grasshopper!

Just kidding. I'm 54 now so I no longer have any excuses for having a smaller system, but I've gotta tell you that if this is any indication of how well your home is going to be equipped as you grow older, then you'd better marry a VERY UNDERSTANDING WOMAN just as I did. I think you 've got a wonderful start there. In fact, it's better than what a lot of my old geezer freinds have! Be proud of what you have and enjoy it every day. I can't wait to see what you have when you're 30! Best of luck!

EAR: I miss the Elf, too, but you go with what you like, my friend.

-Glenn

you don't have any idea what a good call THAT is!!!!!

M

Actually, for what it is worth Michael does have great taste, but like any fantastic creative person <other than his gallery... (which is impecable..)> he is also a older bachelor in need of a womans touch, AND a massive clean up job.. A incredible photographer on one hand.. regular single older guy on the other..

So.... Welcome to the forum.. Nice system, great you have pride in what you have accomplished too so far. Stick around some, we tend to learn a lot from one another in here. In audio, and some good life/ bs lessons too.

So here is mine...

One of the great advice chats I had with my dad growing up, was that you can learn a lot from experience. What's cool about experience is... it does not always have to be your own! LOL.

Maybe to be fair.. Ask Michael what his room looked like at 16- 18? I can still see it in my mind being friends with his younger brother.. "DSOTM" I will let him explain..

Michaels a great guy.. maybe the furniture reminded him of his house he grew up in too?

By the way colter, all people have different styles in which they decorate their room. I happen to like it very much, so it really has no affect on me of what u said about. Maybe ur the one that lacks knowledge of design. I happen to know what works and what doesn't. It's just not ur taste. I can't do anything about that. I really put this post up just so people could see it and what they thought. Some of guys, i laugh at what u right. Hijacking my post, o well, just a waste of writing for u. That's all.

Well I'll waste a little more time and space if ya don't mind. I was just KIDDING! geesh... No seriously nice system and kudos for picking up on a cool hobby. You could be wasting money on junk cars or crack right now. Instead, you've got a nice civil stay-at-home hobby that will serve you well in years to come. The culture of our civilization shine through the arts, and music and movies are some of the more popular arts of our day. So you are showing yourself to be a cultured individual, wise beyond your years.

Now about that decor. At 17, I'd painted my bedroom bright blue with white trim and red doors. I graduated HS in 1976, the bicentennial year, so flags were everywhere. Instead of girlie pics on the walls, my friends and I had cutouts from Creem magazine of Kiss concerts and Stereo Review ads of equipment we dreamed of owning (this was in the fledgling days of quadrophonic sound- look it up).

I hesitate to say, but enough guys have been to my current home, so I'll be honest here. My current 1950's ranch home is decorated in Early Bachelor. Which is to say the most of the furniture, and all of the electronics are pretty top notch, but it doesn't, uh, go together very well. There's still moving boxes of stuff everywhere. My Mother and two Grandparents had passed away about 6 years ago, so I had three houses full of furniture and STUFF at my old farm, where there were just barns full of family antiques.

I'm great at picking out Cornwalls, but ask me to select, purchase and hang a pair of curtains, ain;t gonna happen. A year after moving in, most rooms still have the original window coverings from the elderly couple who lived here before, builders paper taped up during my remodeling/painting days last summer, or nothing at all. So you see, it is you who has the last laugh. I'll shut up now.

Michael

post-10755-13819274204554_thumb.jpg

Sorry colter if i misinterpreted u. Just being new and all to the forum, it's hard to tell if people are joking or serious since i don't really no anybody too much. I am getting more familiar now and it's a lot of fun to find out a bunch of information. I am anxious to what my system might consist of when i am older, but we'll see how things go after i have a family. It's been kind of nice that all the money i get i can put towards audio. I also save plus this, but the majority is into what i am passionate about. Thanks for viewing my theater. I am happy for all the positive reviews. I hope anyone else that sees it can comment because i like to hear what people have to say. Thanks.

No, 33, you were right. I was ranting and I'm a slob. So I do owe you the apology. Sorry.

Naw Indy, thats from after last Christmas, after I got the Miami 63 CW's when Mike DrWho came over for the first time. Notice the old furniture before the 4xCoaster Recliners.... I've had all summer to trash the place now. Looks like an alcoholic lives at my house LOL.

Not all of us have have a wife, or a maid. Just all alone with my toys.....so my life sucks as badly as the decor.

Michael

Not all of us have have a wife, or a maid. Just all alone with my toys.....so my life sucks as badly as the decor.

Michael

Welcome to the club! [;)] Actually, I got this place pretty well

cleaned up. Figure I ought to make it presentable since my

parents wants to come down to visit this weekend (My birthday was just

today (11/1, so they wanted to come and visit as well as take me out to

dinner).

In response to the original post:

Damn nice system, and certainly one to be proud of. Those Synergy

speakers are quite nice, especially for the money (and will blow away

anything Blo$e could ever dream about putting out, for a fraction of

the price). That is more system than I had when I was 18. I

pretty much got whatever hand-me-down stereo from my parents, which

included an 8-track player! I don't even remember what the make

and model was. I do remember is was some cheap department store

thing, though.

Shame on you" Curly Colter Coiffure"your no Bobby Trendy you couldn't

hang a dycylinder defuser to save your scalp ,as the case maybe [:P]

,now

back to this room ,you might not take no goonie'goonie'goo'goo ,but

Johny'Holiday's got some goonie'goo your going to take ,[*]do

your components get hot in that rack,[*]left speaker

is to close to the wall,to much reflection off that wall, toe them in a

little,somethings got to give, side to side for better speaker

placement [*]an are the tweeters at ear level. Now back to

CC-Colter ,"Well now C, CC- Colter,see now the moon is shinning bright!

CC- Colter,where you been all night? CC- Colter now see what you

done!Just might find a girl tonight, an everything be alright!"~song

liberally to CC -Rider.PS Colter are we still icing down the beer in the

cloths dryer, to hide it from the married squares[<:o)].PSS welcome to the sanitarium kiddo