Record cleaning question

akirk

Aside from the expensive Nitty Gritty and VPI vacuum-type record cleaning machines, is there a simple record cleaning system that works well? I'm talking about your basic wet brush/cleaning fluid system where you spray or otherwise apply the fluid to the record and then brush off.

I have been using the Disc Doctor fluid and brushes for about 3-4 years. I also use a manual Nitty Gritty 1.0 (I'm on my second machine in 15 years).

Recently I have been using a new cleaning fluid on records that just don't seem to clean up with the DD system and Nitty Gritty. I found out about it over on the Asylum and used it for the first time with SOME trepidation, but you know what--the stuff IS effective! If you have any records with a lot of "crackle" that look decent enough but are so noisy you have difficulty enoying them--give this stuff a try! I have a copy of Mobley's Message on Prestige that LOOKS VG+ but plays with the "rice krispies" noise throughout--not REAL loud, but THERE. Anyway, I scrubbed the heck out of the record with this stuff and rinsed with distilled water and then had a SECOND go at it and rinsed in again. I hit it with the zerostat and first pass through the noise was down by about 50%--really amazing--I was shocked. Woolite Oxy-Deep carpet cleaner:

Woolite Oxy Deep Stain Remover

I use OxyBurst in the kitchen and Oxy Carpet Cleaner that has 3M Stain

Protector built in. I do not have any records but would not use

it on something it was not intended to clean by the manufacturer's. The

3M engineer's are geniuses and know what something is good for and what

not. Plastic records are not made of Wool. It would be far

easier just to not eat cereal around your records or keep them in their

covers when you are eating.

J.

I use and like the Orbitrax ($30?). Its a hand held surface pad type cleaner - one end holds on to the spindle and around you go... I make my own cleaning fluid. The bonus is that after cleaning and playing a record a few times it won't be necessary to clean it again for a long time.

I'm still using an old Discwasher similar to the one pictured here and a Zerostat. I still have an old, large bottle of D3 fluid with the red label. The one below has the black labeled D4 solution. I don't know if anyone here endorses their use, or if they are available any more. I see Allan mentioned the Zerostat, but I don't know about the Discwasher. Is it safe? It hasn't seemed to hurt my old LPs and it does clean them.

post-10177-13819275842074_thumb.jpg

I have been using the Disc Doctor fluid and brushes for about 3-4 years. I also use a manual Nitty Gritty 1.0 (I'm on my second machine in 15 years).

Recently I have been using a new cleaning fluid on records that just don't seem to clean up with the DD system and Nitty Gritty. I found out about it over on the Asylum and used it for the first time with SOME trepidation, but you know what--the stuff IS effective! If you have any records with a lot of "crackle" that look decent enough but are so noisy you have difficulty enoying them--give this stuff a try! I have a copy of Mobley's Message on Prestige that LOOKS VG+ but plays with the "rice krispies" noise throughout--not REAL loud, but THERE. Anyway, I scrubbed the heck out of the record with this stuff and rinsed with distilled water and then had a SECOND go at it and rinsed in again. I hit it with the zerostat and first pass through the noise was down by about 50%--really amazing--I was shocked. Woolite Oxy-Deep carpet cleaner:

Woolite Oxy Deep Stain Remover

I read about this before, but I 'm too scared to use it. Do you dilute it with distilled water or anything??-- or do you use it right from the spray bottle??

Straight from the bottle.

I only used it out of desperation with the Mobley record. I bought it after a VISUAL inspection at a show for big $$ ($350) and was really upset with the noise. I've had it for a couple of years and was going to sell it because every time I looked at it the record MOCKED me for paying so much. So, as a last gasp effort I used this stuff and it worked--the record is now enjoyable for me.

Good for you Allan. I'm glad it did the job. But $350 for vinyl??? Whew........ Anything over $50 for me is a little steep. When I go to record shows I buy a lot of $8 to $25 vinyl and they are fantastic. I guess after spending so much on my analog gear I expect $1.00 record to sound better than a digital format.

Guess what???? They do. Well some of them.

It's not really about the sonics all of the time for me--I'm the first to admit that. I collect jazz records--first pressings--this is a rare one and I had the money in my pocket so I bought it. It's not even that good of a Hank Mobley record--the second Prestige date and ALL of the Blue Notes that followed are better--but after collecting all of the original Blue Note, Contemporary and Pacific Jazz titles I decided to acquire all of the pre-Fantasy Prestige titles as well--I have most of them now. It's a sickness, I know, but it really enjoy it and I no longer spend ANY money on hi-fi gear . . .