Bozak?

dougdrake2

Hi all - I saw a pair of Bozak speakers in the classified section today, no model or specifics given. I've heard them mentioned a couple of times on this board, but I'm unfamiliar with them as a brand. Anyone have any general info they could share on Bozak?

The ad reads: "Bozak French Provincial style speakers, 25x30, maple finish, $350/pr."

TIA-

DD2

Hey Doug,

Bozak was a big name in hi-fi back in the fifties, sixties and seventies (peaked in the sixties and competed with Klipsch in the high end market). In the early 80's, Bozak went out of business (sold out to New England Audio Resource 'NEAR').

The good Bozak's used their pulp/wool cone 12" woofer(s), 6" inch aluminum/rubber sandwich cone midrange with a huge magnet, and the 2.5 aluminum cone tweeters. The drivers all used huge magnets and were finely crafted, in house. Although they had many models, they kind of had "the big three."

The Concert Grands used four 12's, two mids, and eight tweeters mounted in an array. The Symphonies used two 12's, two mids, and eight tweeters (this is my favorite Bozak model, especially in the Moorish cabinets). The B302A's (Concertos) used one 12, one mid, and two tweeters mounted on a bracket in front of the woofer. All Rudy Bozak's speakers basically used the same excellent drivers in various combinations in an acoustic suspension cabinet available in a myriad of styles and finishes (there are some exceptions to the above info, but I'm talking classic Bozak here).

There is definitely a "Bozak sound", just like there is a "Klipsch sound." Bozaks are quite mellow and smooth in the highs, definitely midrange foward (which will remind you of Klipsch, though it's a cone, not a horn), with a full very accurate bass tone. Bozak bass is tight with NO boom - male voices are not tubby in the least. The bass, though deep, is not "punchy" like the Klipsch. I guess you would say they have a "full, rich, mellow, clear tone, with particularly good vocals reproduction." A pair of Bozaks in a moderately big room with hardwood floors, sound particularly good. Deep shag is kind of a no-no with these speakers IMHO.

Bozaks like ss and sound good with various types of music, but they probably shine the most with classical music (I've played from classical to rock through mine with good results). Bozaks will play reasonably loud, but cannot begin to compete with Klipsch for crankin'.

Bozaks are interesting in that while they sound good when your first listen, they tend to "grow on you" and owner satisfaction tends to INCREASE over time (this is the opposite of what is experienced with most other speakers).

My guess about the speakers in the ad is they are probably like the Concertos in configuration. For some pictures, look on ebay at current and competed actions.

Bozak was a true classic from the Golden Age of Hi-Fi - sorry to see them go. Anybody else out there have any experience with big Bozaks?

Regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 10-06-2001 at 03:09 PM

• Thanks 1

The quality and variety of information available from this BB's membership never ceases to amaze me! The father of my oldest friend used to have Bozaks back when I was in Junior High - they were huge (to me, back they, anyway) and he had them driven with some unknown Mac tube amps. They sounded awesome, as I remember.

Thanks for the detailed info, Andy!

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

Andy - I called the seller (who is a reluctant seller - moving and has to part with something), and he is also a Klipsch fan -- has a pair of those, and he just put Wharfedale's in for his HT. Anyhow, these are E300's, Italian Provincial (not French). I think I saw some pictures on Yahoo, but not sure if they are the same. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1279004689

Any input on these, Andy?

Ross - FYI, they are somewhat near you -- 35th Ave and Bethany Home, if you want to take a look at them Smile.gif

Doug

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 10-06-2001 at 06:44 PM

Hi Doug,

I'm not an expert, but I believe the 300 series Bozaks have a 12" woofer with two coax tweeters, only. The mid hole was covered with a board internally to allow for a factory upgrade where the mids and more elaborate crossovers could be bought and installed at a later date. Basically the 300 would effectively be upgraded to the 302 (which had the mids with appropriate crossovers from the factory).

The Bozaks in question may have the midrange upgrades in place - you would have to ask. Careful, he might think there is a mid there just because he sees the outline of the midrange driver hole.

The "woofer/tweeters only" Bozaks are indeed fine speakers, but if I were into audio and interested in some vintage Bozaks, I would probably hold out for a pair of Symphonies (two woofers, two mids, and eight tweeters mounted in a lovely arched array (early models in vertical array)). Of course, the "302" configuration Bozak is also an excellent speaker. Just make sure it has the mid.

Since Bozak is not real well known anymore, good deals are pretty easy to come by on ebay. Just gotta find a pair within driving range because these babies are big.

Hope this helps,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 10-06-2001 at 08:34 PM

the E-300 was a infinite baffle, speaker-less enclosure sold by Bozak for the DIYer.

it is 5 cubic ft in size and designed to accomodate the B-207A coax unit. It was sold with a pre-cut hole to accomodate the B-209 mid-range making an upgrade to a three-way system using the N-101 crossover.

the B-207A coax has a very low power, limited excursion woofer (Fs around 45Hz). the B-209 mid is an absolute necessity for this speaker system to sound reasonable.

the next system size-up was the B-305 which contained two B-207As and a B-209. After that was the B-310 (later called the Concert Grand) it had four B-199A woofers, a B-200XA tweeter array and a single B-209 mid. I heard a pair in 1978 at a shop called the Music Box in Wellesley, MA. I ended up buying the

Klipschorns.

These are the the first product offerings by the R. T. Bozak MFG. Co. of Darien, CT. They are something of collectors items. Bozak was heavy into cone material research and advocated multiple driver arrays.

• 19 years later...

My first minutes on this forum is right now: 10pm

Dec. 5th, 2020. Glad i found it. Also glad that I found a pair of mint condition Bozak Concerto B302A’s this past weekend. In a Goodwill in Arden, NC. I was researching them and found your informative post. I enjoyed it. Thanks. Jeffro

• Like 1

Welcome, @TMjeffro! Don't be a stranger!  Although, it would be hard to be stranger than some of us.  :wacko:

For those who haven't heard them, Bozaks are very sweet speakers, with rich bass.  When I got my Klipschorns, I spent many hours days trying to decide between a pair of big Bozaks, a pair of B&W 801Fs, and a pair of Klipschorns.  They were all excellent!  I picked the Khorns because I liked the brass and percussion, and, generally the attack and dynamics on them best.  Later, they were improved a bit with an AK4 upgrade.  Bozaks were exceptional with cello and strings in general.   Bozaks will always be among my favorites.

In the good old days speaker creators used to drop by stores to meet customers, &/or chat with store owners, sales folks, and customers for what seemed to be hours on end.  One time Paul Klipsch and Rudy Bozak ended up at the same store at the same time.  They were actually friendly competitors, and respected each other.  Remember respect?  But the store owner provided some props, and they were photographed51650065_2214652202088764_2905421654916071424_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=QeN0ZhSy7TIAX_Du3kt&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.fna&oh=5b4781fc9dd3481a9c4ce5233c94a629&oe=5FF31109

Below are Paul Klipsch, Joe Minor, owner of Berkeley Custom Electronics (where John Curl used to work -- many happy hours) and Arthur Fiedler who bought Klipschorns.  He later said, "For my own listening pleasure at home, l like the Klipschorn. It has wide range, clarity and exceptional definition."This undated photo, which hangs in the Klipsch Museum of Audio History, shows company founder Paul W. Klipsch (left) and Boston Pops Orchestra conductor Arthur Fiedler (right). Fiedler endorsed Klipsch speakers. The man at center is not identified.

• Thanks 3

On 12/5/2020 at 10:02 PM, TMjeffro said:

My first minutes on this forum is right now: 10pm

Dec. 5th, 2020. Glad i found it. Also glad that I found a pair of mint condition Bozak Concerto B302A’s this past weekend. In a Goodwill in Arden, NC. I was researching them and found your informative post. I enjoyed it. Thanks. Jeffro

Holy necropost, Batman.   Welcome to the forum.  Pics or it didn’t happen!  (You can use the hosting method in my sig below for easy online posting)