Formica's Audio / HT room... the construction

formica

Rob-I was just looking at the pics of your room again. I think that, as good as it looks in the pics, it's one of those rooms that just looks twice as good in person. Really sweet job.

So do you have one of those anomorphic lenses in front of your projector to fit the images onto the screen properly?

Thanks guys...

Will the couches remain sideways to the screen?

No, I have little felt pads under the feet in order to slide them around according o how many people we are. For one to two people I leave them as is, cause I like to kick my feet up and lean on the arm rest.

So do you have one of those anomorphic lenses in front of your projector to fit the images onto the screen properly?

No... unfortunately not. I just zoom in so that the image fills the screen so I'm not getting the full resolution when I'm watching a 2.35 film. Surprisingly, though, the original film quality / transfer seem to frequently be more limiting than that. In any case, I'm figuring / hoping that a similar feature will be intergraded into main stream projectors by the time I have to replace it...

ROb

• 4 weeks later...

If you can believe it, I haven't done any waterfall graphs yet... [:|] ... the PC i have in the audio rack seems to suffer from some low frequency hummm that shows up around 20Hz. this was true for any plot i did with three different soundcards (built in, PCI, and USB) so i'm wondering if it's not the power supply (?). My eX kept the portable ... and i haven't borrowed one nor brought down my main desktop yet... so all i got are db readings listing to music.

Like you, i've been pretty busy with other, non-audio related things in my life at the moment... [:)]

Do you have a foot fetish?

nope... i have a plaster fetish...

• 2 months later...

Finished up the shelves... cut and edged both them and the
doors. The equipment rack is technically ready to receive
equipment.

This is exactly what I need for my future HT room! Any plans to share? Or did you just wing it? Any tips? Buy melamine and cut to size yourself? Assemble with screws? Or brace with real wood?

[*-)]

Great setup ! Big Smile

thanks!!... and it's still a work in progress as i'm currently building a new centre channel as well as cutting wood to rebuild the khorn mains ...

This
is exactly what I need for my future HT room! Any plans to share? Or
did you just wing it? Any tips? Buy melamine and cut to size
yourself? Assemble with screws? Or brace with real wood?

The main shelving boxes (it's two stacked units because it is full height) were assembled mostly using a nail gun and some screws in the same way you build kitchen cabinets. Those got screwed into the wall while the shelving is supported on adjustable metal tracks inside those boxes. I did draw this up on AutoCad (including cut sheets)... i'll have to dig up the files at home and send you what i got. I never bothered doing a legend or the like and i skimped on the labeling (as they were for my use only), but it'll still give you an idea.... [8-|]

Even though I haven't been posting as much, you guys are always welcome to drop by...

I've made a couple of changes since those pictures, but I think I'll wait till I've got some of my new speaker enclosures finished up before updating the pics.... :)

Peter... I just messaged you those drawings...