Therapeutic Fight Thread

pauln

OK, if you have a chip on your shoulder or just need to blow of steam, this is the place. I have high hopes for this one...

Just post a declarative statement about which we can argue. It is not at all necessary to make personal abuses at this point- those should follow naturally in the course of time, like about page two.

So lay it on the line... let the healing catharsis begin.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Federal Express is flying planes very low over my home tonight, and I live MILES from the friggin airport. It's 12:30 and I've had a plane directly overhead every minute or two for over 2 1/2 hours now. WHAT THE HECK is going on up there?

And most importantly, why don't realators give you this type of info when you buy a house. This guy made like $10,000 to sell me a home directly in the flight path of our airport. It's so loud I can't even hold normal conversation or talk on the phone outside. Beautiful 2 acre wooded lot that sounds like an industrial district.

I HATE MY HOME!

M

Ok, i'll start by declaring lascalas bass-shy...[:)][:D][:P][;)][6]

Well hold on, I've been trying a "best of both worlds" approach lately. For classical and "Girl With Guitar" (eg., Joni Michell, Miles of Isles) I play my SETs, but for Yes and King Crimson I have been diaing in my Teac Tripath (took out the second board) for LOUD music. The LS are not showing any problem with mucho bass as appropriate for the particular approach. With the Teac I get 35Hz as measured by walking over to my piano and seeing exactly what low notes are coming out of the LS.

I can get sub - 30 hz info from my main speakers ( RF3II ), albeit with very low power levels, ( I tried it with < 1 w ) using a test disc.

They are listed as being -3 db at 37 hz, and I believe it, they are way down in output near 30 hz.

Lascalas do have nice bass, and they require a very high gain subwoofer to keep up at high volume levels. If used with 2-4 watts, then an average subwoofer can keep up.

Sorry to hear about the planes. I live about two miles from a RR track. During the day they run from South to North. At night they run from North to South. Very late in the night I sometimes hear them - there are five crossings about one mile apart each. On a quiet evening sometime I can hear them blowing their horns at all five crossings. Over the years I have come to recognise the distinctive horn sounds of the various engines. One has a horn tuned to a major sixth (like a Cadillac), another has a goofy sounding chord that is all messed up. One that I hear every now and then has something wrong with the horn. It has a congested sound that starts off weak and then poots out a weirld sound at the end of each blast. I'm not a train spotter or anything, but it feels sort of nice to ocasionally hear and recognise one of the engines.

Hey Michael, maybe you can get all your nieghbors together and protest and they will move the airport about 20 miles away from town in the middle of nowhere just like they did in Denver.

a double train track used to run right behind our 2 acre lot near Houston. When we moved to our place near Richmond it was so quiet that I had trouble sleeping.

I don't want to live near another train track or an airport, I like it quiet now.

Steve

I can get sub - 30 hz info from my main speakers ( RF3II ), albeit with very low power levels, ( I tried it with < 1 w ) using a test disc.

They are listed as being -3 db at 37 hz, and I believe it, they are way down in output near 30 hz.

Lascalas do have nice bass, and they require a very high gain subwoofer to keep up at high volume levels. If used with 2-4 watts, then an average subwoofer can keep up.

I use a RS SPL meter to estimate the watts I'm driving. With the thing set on "Peak" I have yet to exceed 94dB. This means the real acoustic power peak is about 108, so I don't think I've put much more than 2 watts through my LS yet. Still, damn loud.

Michael

maybe it's a temporary thing..sometimes they reroute the air traffic due to a wind/weather shift, or work being done on another runway. If your house was there before the airport was there, then complain loudly. If it was built after the airport was there, then the builder knew what he was up against. But like I said, if this is something new, it's probably just a short lived thing. Hopefully the traffic pattern will go back to where it was.

Regards,

Steve

My home was built in 1955, before the airport, I believe. It's way over on the outskirts of Indy on SW side of town, I'm NE, so they go to a lot of trouble to cross town diagonally and disturb as many people as possible.

I think it's the FedX planes. We have a hub here. Gave them all kinds of concessions to get the jobs. Wish it would go away. There's supposed to be 10pm noise ordinance for the rest of us, just the airline industry is exempt. THere was a low flying jet every 2 minutes until like 1 am.

I'm going to have to move again.....

Federal Express is flying planes very low over my home tonight, and I live MILES from the friggin airport. It's 12:30 and I've had a plane directly overhead every minute or two for over 2 1/2 hours now. WHAT THE HECK is going on up there?

And most importantly, why don't realators give you this type of info when you buy a house. This guy made like $10,000 to sell me a home directly in the flight path of our airport. It's so loud I can't even hold normal conversation or talk on the phone outside. Beautiful 2 acre wooded lot that sounds like an industrial district.

I HATE MY HOME!

M

A couple years ago we checked into buying a home near the airport and they would install new exterior windows and doors for free, glad we didn't buy it.

Oh, and my complaint.....I have a killer resume with 28 years experience and nobody claims to have a position open right now. Today I am going to apply to department stores for seasonal help....never did that before!

One of the great joys I had in the last few years was that they moved Athens airport from very near to me (about a mile) to 35 minutes away by car.

Whilst we were never in the flight path we could hear planes at they waited to take off in one of those interminable queues that seems to form at any airport with only one runway. It is amazing how much noice a plane makes - even when standing still.

Took me ages to figure out where the noise was coming from - a dull drone that could go on for half an hour at a time - stop and then reappear 20 minutes later.

I am planning to move my fridge to the new airport. Jesus does that thing make a racket!!!!

no....your dog can eat my GF's cats. I am not goin to get started. To many kitty lovers on the forums. I just wish they were outside cats. Outside of my sight. and outside of our lives.

sorry to you guys who are over sensitive about your cats. I was brought up in a house where animals lived in the barn. And my ocd though alot better than it used to be still causes every nerve in my body to be repulsed at the thought of feline feces being everywhere.

"Oh, and my complaint.....I have a killer resume with 28 years experience and nobody claims to have a position open right now. Today I am going to apply to department stores for seasonal help....never did that before!"

Don't feel bad.....greater numbers of workers are doing similar things. Increasingly, workers are doing jobs below their qualifications because that's what's available - or they do these jobs as added part time work to fill the gap that the main job does not cover. One of my jobs is pizza delivery - and amongst that crew, there is a retired teacher, 2 business owners, a welder with 25 years experience, and a TV camera crew leader.....people who would not normally be thought of a prime candidates for a pizza delivery job. But they work and keep that delivery job, because it is good part time income - and it pays the bills that the main job does not.

Being laid off/unemployed with a 28-year-experience resume means one thing to a prospective employer: You will be expensive - or if not expensive, temporary. These people are often the most difficult to get hired for that very reason - especially now. I tell those "more experienced" at my pizza job not to feel bad for having to work such a job - it pays the bills, and "at least you HAVE jobs to pay your bills". This is not the time to let pride get in the way of taking a lesser job title - it is an increasingly common occurrence in today's economy.

I've decided almost half of you have terrible hearing. The other half are too cheap to invest in any real upgrades. If you hit the lottery tomorrow you might upgrade your interconnects. 10% are on track and know what they are doing -- and these are pretty much ignored by everyone else.