Why overkill for TV sound?

Jeff Matthews

None of these guys will admit it..... they all secretly want a Reference system! [:P] Serously, you always want some overkill, as you never have to push the speakers hard so the sound is always effortless. That is the problem with the cube speakers, they just don't cut it for a " live theater sound" for home theater. I still like the thread where the guy has an all CF system. That would be another killer set up.........

Klipschophiles seem to love overkill, it gets me going..............[:o]

I run my 5 Cornwalls and Subs all the time even for CNN. The bandwidth for Stereo TV sound is much better than FM and the Networks have used surround sound for years on most of their shows. Another reason would be that most HDTV shows use DD 5.1 sound. If ABC is showing Toy Story it is also in DD 5.1 (with better than DVD picture no less). Why would I want to leave that to the crappy TV speakers? If I am going to watch TV I may as well have the best sound possible.

I think the better question is why are people NOT using their kick *** systems to watch TV?

Laters,

Jeff

Having heard this system, let me just say.... WOW!!! Overkill? Possibly, Do I wan't a system like it? Oh Yeah!!![:D][:D]

None of these guys will admit it..... they all secretly want a Reference system! [:P] Serously, you always want some overkill, as you never have to push the speakers hard so the sound is always effortless. That is the problem with the cube speakers, they just don't cut it for a " live theater sound" for home theater. I still like the thread where the guy has an all CF system. That would be another killer set up.........

Klipschophiles seem to love overkill, it gets me going..............[:o]

That's why, despite all my Heritage speakers, I have a 5.1 going in the basement with RB5II and RC7. Nice 'little' system methinks.

Michael

The only reason I sometimes find that my Klipsch are Not being used when the tv is on is because my wife is at the controls and doesn't want to fumble with the multiple remotes...

I have hopes of finding a Logitech Harmony880 in my stocking to cure that problem. . .

btw, there is NOTHING I own that I can consider as 'over-kill', audio or otherwise

I'm not running a museum... if I have it, I use it.

This is an interesting question. My front array is Klpschorns plus a Belle center and yes, I have wondered about them being overkill and even distracting, as opposed to a more compact speaker array positioned closer to the 50" HDTV. In the nature of things, when immersed in a movie one is following the visuals, the plot, etc., and doesn't pay that close attention to the sound.

A lesser system would be adequate most of the time. BUT, when there's some movie you really want to crank, it is GREAT to have those Khorns and Belle take everything easily in stride, no distortion, utter smoothness, very exciting. But yeah, most of the time they're overkill for HT.

But then again there's pure music listening too, and for that they are anything but overkill. They're the clearest, most precise and most effortless speakers I have EVER heard in my 63 years. Dream of an audiophile's lifetime finally to have them. Audio Steinways.

Okay... Okay.... Probably not overkill. It's been 10 years since I hooked my Corns to TV and watched "Apocolypse Now." I remember I liked it, but I wasn't fully reminded until I just watched "Stealth" tonight. Movie was cheesy. Sound was great. I imagine a sub would have made it spectacular. Wife thought I was carried away. "Too loud," she said.

"The bandwidth for Stereo TV sound is much better than FM and the Networks have used surround sound for years on most of their shows. Another reason would be that most HDTV shows use DD 5.1 sound. If ABC is showing Toy Story it is also in DD 5.1 (with better than DVD picture no less). Why would I want to leave that to the crappy TV speakers? If I am going to watch TV I may as well have the best sound possible."

That post was the post to end all posts about questioning using decent stuff to listen to with the TV! Enough said!!![:D]

petrol wrote "I have hopes of finding a Logitech Harmony880 in my stocking to cure that problem".

Mine arrvived via UPS the other day. What a difference it makes. My wifes' biggest complaint was there were too many remotes and didn't know what to push to get this to work or that to work. Now all she does is press the button next to the "watch DVD" and WHAMO the HK turns on and goes to DVD, the cd player fires up and opens the tray and the tv turns on and switches to input 1!!! Logitech has it dialed. Now only 1 remote, the wife is happy and I can get more Heritage!!!!!!![:D]

petrol wrote "I have hopes of finding a Logitech Harmony880 in my stocking to cure that problem".

Mine arrvived via UPS the other day. What a difference it makes. My wifes' biggest complaint was there were too many remotes and didn't know what to push to get this to work or that to work. Now all she does is press the button next to the "watch DVD" and WHAMO the HK turns on and goes to DVD, the cd player fires up and opens the tray and the tv turns on and switches to input 1!!! Logitech has it dialed. Now only 1 remote, the wife is happy and I can get more Heritage!!!!!!![:D]

I did this with a Unifier remote scored on Amazon for like $50 (URC-100 by Universal). Haven't found a fault with this one...learned all the codes from my gear...back light is great and can be turned on and off with a button. No PC hookup though on the low end one.

As far as HT = overkill. I listen to my home system for about 99% TV/HT...my car is where I jam my tunes (currently it's gutted awaiting a pair of Image Dynamics IDQ-10s, my kenwood Excelon deck, an MB Quart amp (2x100, 2x200), some CDT CL-62i mains, 40lbs of dampening, etc ;))

Next on my plate is bringing my PC to my higher audio levels.