My Most Holy Grail

colterphoto1

You could do that Jeff (trim the edges down for a flush front, but you'd still see top and bottom edge and the port cutouts are 2holes only on the Decorators, others have usually 4 holes. Then you'd have the black paint on the motor board to deal with. It'd just be too much butchering to make a CW-BR into a pseudo-decorator.

I'm afraid I'll just have to come over there and swipe yours!

Michael

I guess I'd have to see an up-close shot of the BR's to understand completely. I was talking about disassembling sides from motorboard and top. Then, use skilsaw as needed to trim down. Using a sharp blade and straight line, this shouldn't take all too long. Then, use new wood to make new motorboard (but gotta get a router with a circle template to cut a very smooth circle for the woofer). Then, insert new motorboard and re-assemble.

Sounds like a 2-weekend project to me. Do you have close-up pics of BR fronts w/o grills to show me where the difficulty is?

Oh, I thought you were talking of just taking a CW-BR, and ripping the overhanging lip away from the motor board to create a smooth front.

The difficulty would be in ripping apart glued joints and reassembling square and neat. Look at the Decorator photos again. Imagine the BR, in it the sides, top and bottom are the same depth, so from a frontal view you would see 7ply edges all the way round.

Your disassembly method would require taking all the joints apart, discarding the motor board, trimming 3/4" off the front edge of both top and bottom panels, building new motorboard, and reassembling. I'm just afraid that you'd butcher one or more joints in trying to disasemble. It could be done, but would probably be easier to just start fresh.

Remember that this project is 3/4" 7ply Baltic Birch. I have no idea what it costs, but would require a minimum 24 ft2 of material per cabinet (raw footage, not counting waste due to grain orientation).

Michael

Tony -- if you want a nice wood horn Martinelli sells a 17" Tractrix horn with an 800Hz cutoff. $1100 a pair. I've had my eye on this one for a while, but it seems like asthetic overkill if one is going with the pro-style bass bin.

The picture below is of the 12" horn with the 1000Hz cutoff, but it shows the Tractrix, or what he calls the 'X-flare' option.

12%20inch%20front%20view_small.jpg

If you're thinking Jubilee, you need the 800Hz horn. The 21" horn has a 400Hz cutoff. If you were going to do a three-way Jubilee then the 21 incher would be the way to go. Honestly, I don't know what happens when you cross a horn higher than it's cutoff -- let's throw it up on Technical and see what the others say. To tell you the truth, I would be happy with something like Al's Trachorn except built to take the 2" exit drivers. I'm finally to the point where I don't get pumped up by asthetics all that much.

Tony,

I think either one of those compression drivers would be just the ticket for the Jubilee HF.

Of

course, part of my interest there is sentimental appreciation for PWK.

I'd want my Jubilee built like he built the prototypes.

I obsolutely agee Dee I wold want the two way like PWK designed. I

think the wood horn and some prettied up LF cabinets would look great.

I was thinking it would be beautiful if the horn throat did not have

cloth covering it and veneer going down the inside of the horn perhaps

a curly maple.

The Jubilee thread in 2 channel has a reply from Roy Delgado setting us straight on the Jubilee LF HF crossover and delay.

I'm wondering if wood for the horns could be milled in such a way that the corners could be (semi) simply mitred. Mostly, it would depend on whether or not the joints would be straight. They probably aren't, though. I'd like to examine one, or at least see a profile (both horizontal and vertical). Cutting the profile (and running the stock material) wouldn't be such a big deal. The knives could be cut at a mill (just like if you had them cut for a custom crown or other moulding).

"Of course, part of my interest there is

sentimental appreciation for PWK. I'd want my Jubilee built like he

built the prototypes."

You'd have to steal the horn from Ms. Valerie's Jubilee.:)

Well, I know for sure it sounds good.

As I remember, it is somewhat larger than the K510 that was sitting on

top of the Jubilee (on the right) in the factory listening room.

I will have Jubilees as soon as I figure out what I want to do about the treble horn. Sure would like to have the wooden horns that came from Italy.

Tony

I bet that if you gave someone at klipsch a call that they would get you hooked up real quick like and help you find sources for the HF section. Roy had mentioned in another thread the possibility of custom jubillee orders which would involved a factory finished cabinet too...

For me right now the dual bass bin cornwalls with an improved midrange (not necessarily that of the lascala) are on the list.

Followed by a pair of Jubilees of course [;)]

Can we list hypothetical speakers too? Because I would love to see a coaxial jubilee type speaker.

As others have said, the only "unknown" is the wooden horn. I'd like to get some black LF bins and veneer them nice and pretty to match a couple of wood horns sitting on top. Put together some custom grills. Get a couple of the 2" drivers and an electronic crossover along with time delay and your in business. This is very "do-able".

Tony

Tony,

I think you are right. This is definitely doable. Purchasing the bass

bin from Klipsch is key. I'd want to look at a special order to see if

I could get it with veneer already done on the front. Then it would be

pretty straightforward from a DIY standpoint.

The electronic crossover/delay by Behringer is not a real expensive item either... about $250 I think.

By the time we get it all sorted out and sitting in our living rooms most of will be in our 60's. If we're lucky we'll still be able to hear 10KHz. By then, I might just grab a nice sized plastic bowl out of the cupboard and cut a 2" hole into the bottom of it.:)