Would you paint your speakers if you could?

HTADDICT

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunburnwilly:

If the Zebrawood I am thinking of is the same Zebrawood you are thinking of every person on this forum put together could not afford one piece for one K-horn.

JJK

Zebrawood used to be a veneer option . I've seen GaryMD's Zebrawood Cornwalls and can't help but think that veneer would look great on my Belles . Is there anyway of finding out how many if any Belles were done with this finish option ?

I know I should just live with them, but I sure wish I could have gotten them all matching. I should probably be happy that my wifes not killing me though. She's allready a little miffed, but that'll wear off. And if it is hard to come by a set of maple rf-7's I definently will not defile them, I wonder how hard they are to come by though?

What I need to do is make a clone rf-7, paint it and see how well I like it. I could even play around with different colors (sounds like a good summer project) - my garage is not heated, and I don't have time to play around at work. This could be fun, how about a pair of marble or granite rf-7's. Chameleon colored rf-7's, black with house of colors white ice, flamed - I'm sure my wife would enjoy THAT! [;)]

Really endless possabilities if someone were bold enough to try it, and as easy as it is to do, it's not like you would actually destroy them, just make it harder to sell, after all it is just speakers. And really if they did have a premium finish, it could make them worth more.....maybe.

It has been interesting to read the opinions all over the map on your question.

My take, and probable consensus is that the "value" of the speakers is

better retained with their factory finish. Most folks

consider painting redemptive of damaged goods.

My personal preference is for the rich wood grains, but heck, Klipsch

does deliver black finishes and once upon a time did put out some piano

black finish from the factory.

With your skill to turn out the product like you prefer, I'd say go for it. Looks is like sound. What is good to you is good.

Here are some Decorator Cornwalls that I did in a close to piano black finish. These were unfinished birch that had been stained and were pretty beat up. Given the patching etc that needed to be done this was really the only way to go. These were done in lacquer and required lots of filling, sanding and coats. I tried to explore the idea of going to an auto body place to have them sprayed and clear coated but never got to far with that idea

Josh

post-12293-13819276254896_thumb.jpg

If I remember correctly, Dale Walker, one of our Canadian friends, did

his LaScalas in black. He does autobody/painting for a living. They

looked great. He hasn't posted in FOREVER. Miss seeing his posts. He is

probably working too hard or just enjoying the music instead of haning

around here.

Bruce

Daddy Dee , I love your new avatar ; King of

the Jungle eh' . But doesn't it conflict with your profession ? Lions ,

Christians , Christians , Lions ... ?

Thanks Sunburn, yeh one of my favorite bumper stickers (from ancient

Rome) is : "Lions 10 Christians 0"

Actually this avatar is from the film "Narnia" which will be released in December.

You're probably familiar with the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.

The lion is "Aslan" one of the main characters. He's the hero who

"saves" the day.

C.S. Lewis is among my favorite authors and among the most significant of 20th century literature, IMO.

I'm looking forward to seeing Narnia, and have been pretty curious as

I've read some release articles about debate between the producer and

director about how close the movie will be to the book "The Lion, the

Witch and the Wardrobe". Some of the best stuff they filmed, may

end up on the cutting room floor. But, haven't heard lately anything

about how those editing decisions might have turned out.

The lion is "Aslan" one of the main characters. He's the hero who "saves" the day.

Oh fine... ruin it for me..LOL.. J/K

I am looking forward to the movie too.

As for your speakers... unless your really crazy about the wood finish as is.. and want to restore it? I say go for it too. They are your speakers and after all what a better, cooler way of personalizing them too, by what you do? Not that you would do this.... but say your a 50's guy.. With a pair of La Scalas and could do em in Piano Black with cool red hot flames and lots of polyurithane clear coat finish too.....on the sides.... Wayyy cool.

Here are some Decorator Cornwalls that I did in a close to piano black finish. These were unfinished birch that had been stained and were pretty beat up. Given the patching etc that needed to be done this was really the only way to go. These were done in lacquer and required lots of filling, sanding and coats. I tried to explore the idea of going to an auto body place to have them sprayed and clear coated but never got to far with that idea Josh

colter sez 'paint those cones'

post-10755-13819276298042_thumb.jpg

Walnut actually, but I like the photo setting. See my thread on PAINTING CONES. Didn't affect the sound one bit and I think it really sharpens the look, especially with the decorator series where the woofer is exposed to sunlight and view all the time.

and Bill, way to chime in on those threads, been seeing you give some good advice to new guys. Good teamwork. You should buy that Denon you're thinking about. It's a good deal.

Michael