OT: This wasn't up on my radar screen, but WOW! Dodge is getting it right!

Daddy Dee

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

This may be old hat to some folks, but I completely missed this announcement back in June or so. Dodge is bringing back the Challenger, similar in styling to the 1970 model.

It's a response to the success of the retro styling of the new Ford Mustang.... however, the Challenger seems to be more faithful to the looks of the old design.

Seeing this made my heart go aflutter.

post-11993-13819276443936_thumb.jpg

$59K + change and the reserve still isn't met. That is a very nice car, but I agree that a new one would be cheaper and you could drive it every day, too.

Yeh, I really loved the Charger, too. The current manufacture Charger just doesn't live up to othe name or image, IMO.

Also really liked the Dodge Demon 34o. It was just plain jane, but a nice car.

The new Challenger has NOT been green-lighted by Daimler-Chrysler yet, but my guess is that they will build it. It's a variant of the LX platform (300/Magnum/Charger) and it would be relatively easy to add it to the mix.

What interests me about this one is that it will have the 6.1 liter 430 hp Hemi and a 6-speed MANUAL transmission. YOWZA!!

The body styling looks interesting: a lot nicer than the Magnum. It would be an improvement if they lost those giantic "Hot Wheels". Makes the thing look cartoonish like a kid's car. Kids can't afford these cars so why style them for kids? It's usually the boomers who are buying up this candy. If they do build it, it'll have no trouble selling. Just look at the Mustang sales. The difference is Ford doesn't even have to run commercials to sell theirs (Mustang).