Bass Reflex Mod For LaScala?

John Pearlman

Mowntnbkr-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Did you build them? If so, what did you decide about stuffing?

I liked the results without any, but, I must confess, I never tried it with any. If I ever get the time I plan to build, or get, another pair and repeat the mod. Then I'll try some acoustic stuffing, but my suspicion is that it's unnecessary.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Dennis suggested using a small amount of stuffing.

I am going to make boxes to put underneath mine Real Soon Now! If it helps the way I think, then I will open the doghouses up next summer and enclose the backs.

I'm also drawing some palns for LS cabinets that would put a slotted port on the very front of the doghouse. Makes all the sense in the world to me, but it may be a half-baked idea.

Neil - did you do any of the other eq things that Dennis had mentioned?

Bruce

Bruce-

All I did was modify the networks based upon the collective advice of Bob, Dean and Dennis as reflected in the following excerpt from a thread started by Belleman:

Belleman,

You can just move the squawker from tap 4 to tap 3 on the autotransformer. That will attenuate the midrange 3 more dB. It will also move the midrange crossover point a bit, but you can just give it a try to see if it puts you where you want to be for output. If you like what that does for you, you can then remove the 6.2 cap you put in and just leave in the 6.8 uF cap.

A lot of people prefer the midrange attenuated a bit more than the factory spec.

Bob Crites<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What Bob said. Drop from tap 4 to tap 3. I would go ahead and make the cap change from 13uF to 6.8uF.

Dean

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

"Drop from tap 4 to tap 3. I would go ahead and make the cap change from 13uF to 6.8uF"

If you add a 15 ohm resistor in parallel with the mid driver it will keep the crossover frequency the same and smooth out the impedance peaks, no cap value change needed.

djk

Neil,

No I haven't built them yet, we got into the moving mode and all projects had to be put on the back burner. As soon as all my tools get here I will start. The movers are packing up our house this week, so I am guessing it will be about a month or so. I didn't want the thread to get lost so I just decided to give it a friendly bump.

On Babe Ruth.....

I had to also add his last day at the plate and have heard over the years vartious versions of this too. He was so beat up he could hardly walk. He had not had a hit if I remember it right in like 2 weeks or so.. Some even booed him for showing up.. Like they say... the rest of the story gets interesting...

Babe Ruths Last Season

By James Joyner

Rob Neyers Big Book of Baseball Blunders is hot off the presses. In an excerpt at ESPN.com, he details Babe Ruths rather embarrasing 1935 season with the Boston Braves.

Ruth had turned thirty-nine in 1934, and though he could still hit in 34, Ruth was maybe the third-best hitter in the American League, behind only Gehrig and Foxx he couldnt do much else. As Fred Lieb later wrote, The pipestems that served as legs would no longer carry, with any alacrity, the barrel that served as a torso. Yankees manager Joe McCarthy had seen enough of Ruth, because the Babe could neither field nor run and also because the Babe made no little secret of his ambition to manage the Yankees. Soon.

When Ruth signed his contract with the Braves, he believed that he really would be a sort of assistant manager, with the chance to either take over as manager perhaps as early as 1936 or wind up with enough stock in the Braves to be an active co-owner. He believed those things because Fuchs, in a long letter delivered a few days before the press conference in New York, told him so.

However, Ruths actual contract wasnt nearly so expansive. In fact, Ruth soon discovered that, rather than being given stock in the Braves, he was seen by Fuchs as a potential investor; the hope was that Ruth would sink $50,000 of his money into the club. Ruth also was expected to participate in various promotional events, and play in exhibition games (which were, in those days, frequent for most major-league clubs). But on May 12, with Ruth struggling at the plate, he told McKechnie and Fuchs that he wanted to retire. Fuchs convinced him to hang on for a few more weeks, as the Braves hadnt yet visited every National League ballpark where various Babe Ruth Days were scheduled.

There would be one last hurrah. On May 25 in Pittsburgh, Ruth hit a two-run homer in the first inning. In the third, he hit another. And in the seventh, he hit one more home run (this time with nobody on base). The latter two homers came against Guy Bush, who years later would say, I never saw a ball hit so hard before or since. He was fat and old, but he still had that great swing. Even when he missed, you could hear the bat go swish. I cant remember anything about the first home run he hit off me that day. I guess it was just another homer. But I cant forget that last one. Its probably still going.

Ruth had hit the ball over the Forbes Field roof, something nobody had ever done before. It was Ruths last home run, and his last hit. And emblematic of the Braves fortunes in 1935, despite Ruths three home runs and six runs batted in hed also singled home a run the Braves lost the game, 11-7.

Ruth could still swing the bat. But he couldnt run, and so he couldnt field or do more than trot around the bases, and McKechnie was facing a trio of mutinous pitchers who said they might refuse to take the mound if Ruth were in right field.

• 1 year later...

I'm considering this for my LSI's.

My question from DJK's original post that Marvel quotes... - is whether 4404 cu in is the ideal/desired additional volume?

"I'm looking for a total net volume of about 4.8 cu ft. I figure the
stock back volume is about 2.25 cu ft. Call it an internal height of
about 9" (22.5 X 22.5 X 8.70 = 4404 cu in = 2.55 cu ft). Two 4" ID by
10" long ports displace about .15 cu ft so 10" outside is close enough. "

...or is that just the figure that works out when converting the top of a standard LS - and is there a better figure to use outright?

If a larger volume than the ideal is used, is there any problem, say, using bricks (or something similar, rattling etc. notwithstanding) inside to then reduce the volume to the desired figure?

• 1 year later...

I need to bring this thread back for a question. Is there a 'required' or optimum height for the box under the LaS? I have about a 9" limitation since my LaS sits under my HT screen.

Those who have been living with this mod for a while, are you still happy with the results?

• 4 weeks later...

Height is irrelivant however cu ft is of course. Cosmetics will dictate what sacrifice you make to keep volume of the box the same while keeping the height you want. 9 inches should be doable but you may find it neccessary to have the cabinet wider or deeper than the stock La Scala. I have had the best luck with a slot port, il try to post some pics of what I did, seems now the challenge is keeping light bulbs from breaking the filaments now.