Deang

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jc,

Dean and I do the litz in entirely different ways! I wait until after the inductors is mounted to the board and the lead is cut to length. I start by laying the iron tip square against the end of the wire like it's sticking out of the iron to just heat up the exposed copper at the very end. As soon as a drop adhears to the end I turn the iron 90 degrees side against the wire like the pictures shows then move down the wire drawing the drop along by feeding solder.

Dean is 100% right about one thing: The iron has to be clean! A black scum forms on the iron as you move along the wire. You need to clean the iron before you tin each lead.

BTW: I get the braid from Mouser. You have to buy a 100 foot spool and it AIN'T cheap!

Al K.

post-2934-13819276550006_thumb.jpg

Bob, you forgot the part about making sure you don't tell them it's for audio.[:D]

Al, I've tried getting all the enamel off like that before, it doesn't work for me that well. The Litz of course has multiple strands, and if I tin it that way it doesn't remove the enamel that's buried beneath the twists. I have to get it all off because I don't use standoffs -- I actually use the end of the tinned litz to wrap the leads from caps around. If I don't remove it all -- when I reheat to solder the leads a little more enamel melts off and contaminates the joint.

post-3205-13819276551416_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Thanks for the top on a better source for that braid. I bookmarked that site. I just got a fresh roll of the stuff a little while ago, so I'm fat and happy with it for now.

Dean,

I have had no trouble getting the solder to flow between strands. Since the wire is fully tined there is really no way I can see to know if it fully clean or not. I just have to assume that it is. Once the black crud is removed the wire looks like normal tined stranded wire. I figure that's all that is required.

Al K.

Q. Why can't you just steel wool the tip? You would have to un-twist about 1/2", wool it, then twist it back, then tin it an heat shrink wrap it if cosmetics are an issue. Just my unexperienced organic thoughts.

that is a good question. I had the same thoughts.

Al,

I used sandpaper when I did mine. It was messy. I tried using the soldering iron like you said, but I wasn't sure if it was working for me.

Dean,

I did something different with the transformer connections. I never liked push on connectors (a car electrical fire caused by a loose push on connector back in the 80's) so I terminated each xfmr tap at a 10 tb terminal board. It turned out I was one one terminal short, should have used an 11tb. Tap selection is done at the board by moving the midrange connections. Here's a shot. (Al has seen this).

post-14184-13819276552916_thumb.jpg

That is the high frequency section. I splitted Al's A into low and high sections so if I need a different xover point for a different driver, I don't have to rebuild the entire xover. I plan on building another set with different xover points. I can swap sections depending on what driver I am using at the time. Al said I can also upgrade a section (like to ESN), if I want to. Here's the 400 hz section.

post-14184-13819276554106_thumb.jpg

we have a swimming pool, so I have muriatic acid for adjusting the

pH. it turns out it's really just a 30% solution of hydrochloric

acid. works wonders on the tips of that Litz wire. Of

course, thorough rinsing is required, but no big deal. Sloder

flows really nice on the chemically clean wire.

I do see the point about just doing it right on the spot though.

Saves time. When I first did this back when I built my ALKs for

the LS I built the iron I had wasn't hot enough to do the

trick. I bought a big fat one just for this type of stuff.