vertical Corns on the bay...

SilverSport

Uh, CDR, those are DECORATORS, drool drool, but the wood's nothing really pretty. Is R just Raw? Usually wouldn't it be BR for Birch Raw? J s/n is pretty early too, and the code says 15, which is early. Might those have Jensen woofers and the chrome tweeters or are they too late for that?

Frzninvt or GIlbert can probably answer these questions. I would imagine that Gilbert might be interested, they're in his neck of the woods.

Too far and too $$ for moi.

Michael

C-DR-15 = Cornwall Decorator Raw (Raw Fir Finish) J = 1970 I believe

The cabinet does not look like the standard Decorator cabinet as it has the lip on the front and the factory grill.

It appears that someone applied a finish at some point, they almost look like a light Walnut Oil finish, and the grills and pie slice logos certainly look original, I think he needs to open his eyes a little more though since there is a good scuff on the lower left hand side of the one cabinet along with a few nicks. This guy also has two other pair of Cornwalls up for auction as well I believe.

Nice looking verticals though.

Thanks Charles,

I thought that might be fir, doesn't look like Birch grain. Notice how the grain on the back shown goes crosswise also, That's less strength than vertical back panels.

Does that grille material look funny to you? It's a rather large weave, which looks good on the larger cabinet, but I've never seen ones like that. (not that I'm the CW expert). ALso on the right cabinet bottom, looks like the grille is warped or punched in in the port area.

Good call on the edgeing, I guess the only nicety of these being Decorators would be the dual port opening and that the front panel might not be black, probably the same birch finish. So it's not the highly prized raw decorator style that I'm looking for where grilles have never been present.

Pretty cabinets though. I think the price pretty high.

Michael

I believe J = 1971 ??? Frzn might be correct. Mine are "L" and are '73s. A good point is brought up about the front molding and grills. Factory or not??? Mine came exactly the same way. I tore it all off and behind it was a basic decorator cornwall with the flush face nicely finished from the factory. I believe someone added those grills and trim molding.

Mine came with alnico magnets on the drivers.

That pair looks to be really nice. Hey, at 35 years old what do we expect, right? They will surely need a network upgrade, but probably not much else. Just some use.

You know I started looking closer at this pair and something seems a little funny. When did Corn IIs come out? Looking at the large view it really looks like there is no molding but that these are the non-removeable factory grills and that the cabinets are veneer of some type.

I never saw this model of cornwall in verts.

Do you agree the picture matches the label they show? I'm not sure about this.

I agree these look nice, albeit somewhat distressed.

My understanding is that J=1971.

I have a set of 1971 Conrwall II's Vertical Horns.

Label Reads:

C-WO-15

2J163

The wood on these appears much lighter than mine. Perhaps as Colter suggested Fir?

Definitely a set worth checking out if local!

Paul[li]

There are two series's of Cornwall II's, those that were labeled as such pre-1975 and the reworked versions from 1985-1990.

I dated them 1970 because I did not think Klipsch used the letter "I" and skipped to "J" since I did not have my handy-dandy Klipsch date decoder wheel.

The front lip is original and was certainly NOT added on after the fact, the DR means that they left the factory in the RAW FIR finish.

Yes Michael, it looks like the grill cloth on the one is a little stretched towards the bottom around the port area.

His two other pair of Corns (CII's WO & WL) passed through eBay for the second time without a bidder/buyer you would think he would have lowered the price some when he listed them for the 2nd time. Some people just don't get it. He is certainly asking a premium for the ones he is selling but who am I to talk since I just sold my mint '62's for $1500+ a few months ago. I love my Belle's though!

I dont believe these are CW decorator models based on every kit implementation I have seen pictured as well as the kits I have my own 77 CW birch decorator models (painted factory black). I have seen these type of grills before.

As for the Klipsch date decoder wheel, I made a page for this several years back.

Klipsch Date Codes

http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/klipsch_cornwall/klipsch_date_codes.htm

Klipsch Cornwall Mods

http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/klipsch_cornwall/cornwall_mod.htm

Date Codes page Screenshot

klipsch_date_codes_pic.gif

I've heard it said that as time progressed, public demand brought changes to the decorator series. Some of the changes were:

Mitered corners where they were butt seams before, with the front panel extending the entire cabinet height (unlike a BR unit)

recessed motor boards to accomodate factory grilles, although the motor board was not painted black on some

Most decorators still kept the dual port opening on the motor board, the last true vestige of decorator cabinetry.

These models appear to have most of the changes, which would seem in line with their vintage.

Michael

I guess my '73s should say Cornwall II on the labels then. Honestly, I can't recall. I'll have to look tonight.

At any rate, that pair keeps looking better to me since I have not seen verts in that configuration, only in the flush face config. Nice.

Mark, remember Klipsch was cheap! Sometimes they used the regular labels, and hand wrote II with red felt tip marker. Red ink fades rather badly in time, so some units that look to be CW originals are actually II's. The method of driver attachment is the real teller, I believe. Front mount means CWII, rear mount is CW. Others might have more info, but that was the massive change. They still put K52/K601 horns rear mounted, which was a CWII squawker in a CW box. (a 1.5 basically) some had K77, some had K79.

Yes, it's confusing as all get out.

Michael

My '77 deocrator Cornwalls in birch and factory black have butt ends and flush motorboard with the double port. The grill kits were rounded, something I have seen most of the time, unfortunately. I never liked the rounded aspect. Of note, the CW is the only speaker I prefer with the grills on. I'll dig up some pics. The kits were added before I bought the pair.

Oh, I see, the cabinet was regular decorator dimensions (with edges showing, but motor board travelling the entire heighth. Only the added on rounded edge extension board frame was mitered. Some did come out with black faces, I knew I'd be corrected on that one. Thanks for clarifying. Nice photos btw.

Michael