Screen Goo Projector Screens

J.4knee

I was watching Discovery HD last night and they were building a HT for the engineer of Ray Charles Genius Loves Company Album (just ordered this on vinyl BTW) and they used this stuff. I thought it looked pretty interesting. The only downside is if you create a line or visible blemish and it dries you are screwed. They promote it as a DYI project looked pretty interesting to me. They hid it with a burgundy drape/curtain when not in use. Of course then they set up speakers that were puny little wall-mounted towers. The other annoying thing was the guys wife kept harping on there can only be one remote when your done. Clear evidence of why SWMBO for some folks should only be brought in after project is completed. Granted the unified touch screen remote is a cool idea but it should not be the focus of your HT. Anyway they also showed a set of couches/sofas for a HT that were sort a take of on the old sense around idea, these react and move according to the action onscreen.

"The other annoying thing was the guys wife kept harping on there can only be one remote when your done. Clear evidence of why SWMBO for some folks should only be brought in after project is completed. Granted the unified touch screen remote is a cool idea but it should not be the focus of your HT. Anyway they also showed a set of couches/sofas for a HT that were sort a take of on the old sense around idea, these react and move according to the action onscreen."

How does the screen goo product relate to remote controls?

This stuff comes in 2 coats: A base reflective coat plus a final coat. It is rather pricey also. I do remember a thread somewhere that talked about a Behr color code that matched it. I think that today's projectors are so bright that you dont really need any screen gain, just the right color shade. Maybe grey if you you do not have total control of ambient light.

I'm getting ready to use white 12mm sintra (PVC) board. Many people use

this for oversize screens. It has about a 1.1 gain and is extremely

flat and rigid. The great thing about this material is its paintable if

you wanted to go that route. A 5x10 sheet runs about 120.00.

There is also this material that seems to be pretty good. There is this stuff as well.

Australian Opal - High Contrast $219.00

Polymer Projection Screen Coating Kit - High Contrast Option.

Gain range from 0.8 to 1.2 This is best used when you have very high

ambient light conditions and a projector with an ANSI Lumen rating

above about 1300 and a contrast ratio less than 1000:1. Very good for

high ambient light conditions such as classroom, boardroom, retail or

trade show environments and worship center installations. Makes up to a

150" diagonal screen. YOU decide the size of your image!

This is just one of their products. Depending on the gain you want since they have different formula's

Go to http://www.diytheatre.com/default.htm

He may have but the search function kinda ssssssucks on the forum. This stuff perked my interest when I watched them use it. I watched it in HD so I got a pretty good look at it. They were pretty adamant that it is a very DYI type product but professional assistance is available. The show was pretty interesting but they set the seating up according to the correct placement for the visual and not really for the best sound, the rear seats were against the back wall directly between the rear surround speakers which faced forward toward the front seating area and they placed the Subs behind the front seats directly next to the rear seats. They used very little acoustic treatment other than acoustic drywall and the Golden Mean rule for room dimensions to control room mode excitation.

FWIW, I built a 120" 16 x 9 aspect screen using an acoustically transparent screen material call Coated Celtic Cloth from www.dazian.com. I'm using a Panasonic AE700 for my projector in a totally light controlled room. It looks very good, sounds great (love that center channel in the middle of the screen [:P]) and the best part...only $80 in materials including frame, black speaker cloth backing, and white screen material.

IMO, the best screen for your use depends on the light output of the projector, the ambient light conditions of the room, and budget. I spent over 6 months watching the posts on the AVSforum screen sections and believe me there are a lot options. One for every budget. My theory was that I could try a cheap, but well respected setup first and move up from there. After over 1 month with my setup, I think I'll KEEP my money...[;)]

Hope this helps...

AVS forum screen sections do have a lot of great info... after you select a projector.. Then look for proper combinations and ask WHY???

I spent some time.. OK, a lot of time.. But I will say this.... it will ALWAYS matter to match a screen to your projector.. Not all screens are created a like. Materials and lumen levels will either hurt or enhance your projector. So, to spend a lot of Money and have a crappy screen and you will kick yourself. Now a 10k screen and a 1k projector will not help you either.. It is a balancing act.

I have seen the Goo stuff done well. I have also seen the image on a white bed sheet.. LOL.

Like anything in life..

You get what you pay for.

I did a http://www.da-lite.com/products/ Screen

• 2 weeks later...

Did'nt m00n post a few years back that he used screengoo in his HT?

JM

Yeah... Sorry for the long delay. Yes I have used it and it works GREAT! I would use it again in a heartbeat. I was using a peice of parkland plastic, the picture looked ok. Then I went out and got a sheet of that peg board material this sheet didn't have holes in it and one side was coated with some kind of a thin plastic coat. I painted the goo on the plastic side and WOW what a nice difference!

Well worth the money. Save yourself a few grand on one of those pro screens, this stuff will work just as good. Well... I guess, I've never seen them side by side but I was impressed for sure.

Yeah, I am shocked m00n hasn't jumped in here and commented. He used screen goo on his HT and I remember him being a huge fan of the stuff.

I know I know.... I have been cheating on you all. I have a new love on the internet. It's the ESPN forums. [;)]

Actually, that place got old quickly. Too many kids on there turning the ESPN forum into a trash hole. I haven't been there in days.

I have a Goo screen that I painted on a sheet of dibond. I also have a Dalite HiPower screen and the Goo is the better screen with all 3 DLP projectors that I have used with them. The Goo screens have been compared to the Stewart screens on several occasions and in blind comparisons have tied for the top spot. When you consider the low price you can't go wrong. They also have different top coats for different applications. BTW dibond is great for a portable screen because it is light and rigid.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious to which version are you guys using of the Goo system;

white, light grey, or grey? Unfortunately not many of us get to

experiment with screens much before we buy, so it's great to read from

those who have.

I did see some of the more complex DIY paint mixes on the AVS, but any

good links to a comparison? Anyone know what the BEHR colour

match was... and how it compared without the "reflective"

aggregate?

I'm looking at the Panasonic AE700 or the Sanyo Z3, but I haven't

bought my projector yet. Until my room construction is complete,

it only risks getting damaged.

BTW, projector-central did do a screen comparison including the Goo systems at http://www.projectorcentral.com/goo_systems_projector_screens.htm where the Goo White screen did very well.

I've just started reading up on screens, so I still got a lot learning to do.

ROb

Formica,

IMO, if you are considering an AE700 or Z3, then you probably do not need a light grey or grey. The grey screens are manufactured(or DIY'ed) for situations where you have a non-light controlled room (some ambient light) or projectors with low constrast ratios. The AE700 and Z3 do not need this kind of adjustment in a light controlled room unless you treasure blacks over vivid color.. You might also give the new AE900 and Z4 a look. Only a couple of hundred bucks more and they do have visible and ease of use improvements over the "older" 700 and Z3 models.

Hope this helps.