SVS subwoofer

Erik Mandaville

We have been looking at the SVS (among others) subs for a few years, and my wife -- along with greatly appreciated information and assistance from Shawn -- ordered one for our system.

I worked for half the day yesterday (again with Lexicon-related help from Shawn) calibrating and adjusting both 'play' and 'peak' levels. For both music and HT, I've learned what a good sub can bring to the whole listening and viewing experience. We watched the holiday family film 'Polar Express' last night, and it was nothing short of spectacular. The soundtrack for this film is really stunning, as are the visual effects.

We also listend to music by Tony Levin and Bill Bruford's 'Earthworks,' and the SVS filled in beautifully well. I've been worried about possible over-loading of the room, which can surely happen if the subwoofer is turned up too high, but at the right level it provides I foundation for music I haven't heard before (well, at least in our own system).

Incredible fun!

Erik

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure wish I could come over and hear a good sub implementation in a music only system. To this day, I havent heard it. Many love them and I tend to find them a nice addition when watching an action movie in a HT system. But I have yet to hear a sub done in a way I like in dedicated music system. I have some friends that wouldnt do without it, however. Sounds like you have found the good mix/compromise in your setup.

Kelly:

This IS very good, and I hope you have the opportunity to experience it sometime. Honestly, there are always compromises -- in any system. Listening to reproduced music might be thought of, just by the virtue of it being 'reproduced,' as a compromise compared to the 'real thing.' I stayed away from subs for years when I was using just the Lowthers in two channel stereo. I also thought I would never be interested in surround, but realize, after having such great success with PWK's minibox and center channel, that I wouldn't do without it right now -- if given the choice.

I still have to work on obtaining the best phase integration with the Klipschorns, but where things are right now is not too shabby at all.

Erik

Sure wish I could come over and hear a good sub implementation in a music only system. To this day, I havent heard it.

With the coming of the spring, a kitchen/family room remodel is surely going to happen. Opening up the family room will do wonders for bringing the outdoors in since the view out the rear of the house is all chopped up by walls and too many small windows.

And of course I've blown through a pad of graph paper trying to lay out a nice room that is sonically good while not being overly treated or complicated. And one of the problems I was addressing in the layout as well was -- where the heck to put a sub. Short of a teensy Sunfire sub (13" cubed), all the decently musical subs are large. With Klipschorns and a Belle across the front, I'd like something that is musical (fast and not flabby like me [;)]).

I came across the new Danley sub and laughed out loud when I read the guy's CV. Talk about a rocket scientist. But then I started thinking that I could place this fellow behind millwork near the center channel and just place the port a foot or so off the floor. With an 18" square footprint, it would be pretty inconspicuous. Also, being horn loaded, it could be very fast and would keep up with the Klipschorns. My sense is that it would be very musical indeed. Sure, it could demolish the house but my ears rarely get exposed to anything over 95db. It's just turning over in my mind right now.

Since Kelly was going to find some time to sail on down this way sometime in the next few years, we might actually have a contender that he could like.

By the way, my idea of a good sub implementation is one that doesn't suck the music out of the track, and it also doesn't make itself known until intentionally called upon.

Chris

Congrats Erik - I remain a loyal fan of the old Ron and Tom show at SVS. They make wonderful price performance units (focus on the performance).

Kelly- as others have said - with diligence a quality sub definitely can enhance your music - I hope you get to audition one that helps you get the itch. It turns out to be a 'fullness' to the sound that I can only think of as filling in those lower harmonics that exist in a live environment but not with most standard loudspeakers. If done correctly it will be invisible to your ear until you take it out of the mix.

Erik,

Congrats! Great choice on the sub, too! Of course, your first great choice was marrying Marie!

I would think the sould will be absolutely fabulous getting it dialed in just right, too.

When I was doing a sub with LaScalas, I was amazed at how complete and seamless the sound was. Rounded out the bottom end just right. What was surprising to me, after getting it dialed in, sometimes I'd listen to the sub alone... and it didn't seem to be providing all that much musical material... but the over all effect of complete bass extension made listening more pleasant by many fold.

"What model did you get? "

Should be a PB12. Marie wasn't so sure she wanted a 46" long tube sticking up in her room. ;) "

That was in fact the case, and yes, this is the PB12 model. There are surely more expensive subs 'out there,' and this one seems very good to me.

Dee: Thanks for the confirmation on the SVS/Klipschorn combination. Wolfram also spoke highly about the SVS products (thanks, Wolfram!), and suggested it as something to consider if I gave in on a DIY project. I've loved building speakers in the past, but the timing might not be the best for something like that. And you're right, Marie is awesome!

Shawn reminded me about the importance of dialing the best phase response in relations to the main speakers, and I used to have a Stereophile test CD around here. I can't find it, and am relying on another, more intuitive (but temporary) way of doing this.

I have struggled with the integration of music and TV/movie for years, and had been very strict with myself in keeping the to separate from one another. It just makes more sense to integrate the two, and I feel the compromise with the center channel (which is also most likely temporary) was well worth the combination of one with the other. Certainly I would understand some skepticism about this one fact: We used one SE OTL (about 1.5 watts for those who aren't familiar with the amp) for the L/R amp last night watching Polar Express , and I was impressed with what it was able to do in terms of SPLs on some of the louder sections. Some of those shook the room (tip of the hat to the SVS), and the little OTL amp did very well. I'm working on a slight buzz with another one, but will have it in the system for two bridged -- a whopping 4 watts/channel for the Klipschorns. I can't wait![:)]

Erik

Erik,

Am I understanding you correctly? Are you using a low watt SE tube amp for home theatre?

I always wondered if I could use a tube amp with my RF7's with a two channel with sub home theatre. Of course if you are using Klipschorns they probably react very differently than my 7's would and of course the sub could carry the low end.

.......curious.

Erik,

Am I understanding you correctly? Are you using a low watt SE tube amp for home theatre?

I always wondered if I could use a tube amp with my RF7's with a two channel with sub home theatre. Of course if you are using Klipschorns they probably react very differently than my 7's would and of course the sub could carry the low end.

.......curious.

I watched the "Fellowship of the Ring" last night in two channel.

A homebrew 2A3 single-ended triode amp to Cornwalls, with two 16/46's on each side.

It works.......

"Am I understanding you correctly? Are you using a low watt SE tube amp for home theatre? "

Sure, you can do it but you may be limited in overall SPL. I ran my

system with a SE-OTL for awhile and with the highpassing of the

LaScalas (which kept bass from the SE-OTL) I could hit peaks in the

high 90s before the SE-OTL got nasty.

If you want full THX Reference Level (which I do) then it didn't have enough power.

Shawn

Here is a pic taken today of what may be a Paradigm sub priced at about $3500.00. A few weeks ago I heard it during playback of a movie and it was amazing, unlike my 2039+ cylinder. The bass penetrated and flowed through everything in the room, it had me "looking for the sound".

Glad your happy with the SVS, alway's good to get new equipment. My cylinder is my first sub and it smokes anything I've ever heard in Circuit City or Best Buy.

Interesting info. on the single ended tube stuff.