Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think to really test out the updated

xover a person would install them both and listen for a week or so to

lots of different music and then decide. Just hooking one of them up

for a short listen wouldn't give me a good indication of changes. Lots

of changes are subtle and might take some time to realize. JMO

In other words, Jeff, you really ought to give them a longer listen. Again, JMO.

Sage advice indeed. Some gear changes are flat out double-whammy

noticable, some are more subtle and more appreciated as you settle in

and enjoy.

Jeff, I am glad that you are going to be able to give them a more prolonged listen after you send yours to Bob for testing. I will be interested if after living with them for a few days if you notice some subtile improvements. My ears aren't trained enough to catch things in a short listen, and from your posts, I think yours are similar to mine.

I have been thinking about upgrading the crossovers on my Altecs. I wish there were Altec folks who were generous enough to offer opportunities to demo them like there are here on the Klipsch site. That is pretty awesome.

Bob Crites, just curious, do you by chance live in NW Ark.?

-Steve

Bob, I'll get 'em to you. I'm curious to find out whether (A) my old caps are freakishly in good shape, or (B) you all would consider me "one McNugget short of a Happy Meal."

I hope it's just freakish caps. Try not to make me feel bad. [;)]

Jeff - I say this friendily & fondly.... I think I ALREADY pegged you as "B". ;)

Fini - Do I call my hubby "hubby"? LOL No!

We're scooching the TV back (finally) as it has to be impeding on the sound. Kind of a big deal in it's own right. Then we are going to do another ear listen & he's going to play around with some PC EQ thing & a mic to get some type of reading B4 we do any switch. We plan to get that Behringer EQ soon, but this will have to suffice right now. I think it will for this comparison.

Meagain, spare us the wait. Just swap 'em out. If you need a machine to tell you what you should hear, and you can't physically hear it, what's the point? Just do it and tell us. The main point before this all got to hyper-technical, was that you should readily hear a difference. I take readily to mean "no guessing" and "without the aid of meters or machines."

.................. We're waiting......

Jeff,

How about sending both. Sending the second one in the same box with the first will add very little to the cost and you will end up knowing without a doubt the status of both crossovers.

Bob

Yeah, no problem. It really wasn't a postage issue. I just thought the second reason might have some validity. I'll send both.

Dedicated to meagain:

Audiophile: Do you have Steely Dan's "Aja" on CD?

Best Buy: Why, yes, we do.

Audiophile: Do you know whether the sound quality is good on it?

Best Buy: Sure, and we'll be happy to let you come in and listen to it and see what you think.

Audiophile: No thanks. Just send me a graph of the .wav files. Then, I'll know.

PS: Just having fun! Hook those suckers up and tell us what you think before you get some pre-conceived notion about what you "think you should think."

Jeff - We're certainly not going to depend on gadgets over our ears. It's icing on the cake and added input. I'm taking my time with this to do a proper test. We plan to listen first, then test.

BTW - You told me flat out I was listening to all kinds of loss in dynamics just by virtue of me running the khorns thru a 65 wpc amp. When I said I couldn't detect ANY loss of dynamics, the bass remained supreme, and I was missing no detail at cranked volumes - you said that I just don't hear it. But it's happening. If something bad is happening that we BOTH can't hear - then why would I entertain buying a megawatt amp? LOL Maybe one could say the same for you re your test.

What I'm even more interested in is the results of your hearing test. I hope you have insurance for it cuz seeing how you mentioned the probably dollar difference between sending 1 vs. 2 x-overs to Bob...... um..... you know...

Oh! I have to tell hubby that they could use some breaking in time. Actually Jeff - did you run them long enough? 3dzapper/Rick said they could use a warm up.

Patience. I have a fun/interesting opportunity here and don't want to do this 1/2-a**ed.

P.S. I can't use "Hey 19" as a test track. That song is in my top 5 "I'm on the verge of vomiting" songs for me of all time.

Jeff - We're certainly not going to depend on gadgets over our ears. It's icing on the cake and added input. I'm taking my time with this to do a proper test.

BTW - You told me flat out I was listening to all kinds of loss in dynamics just by virtue of me running the khorns thru a 65 wpc amp. When I said I couldn't detect ANY loss of dynamics, the bass remained supreme, and I was missing no detail at cranked volumes - you said that I just don't hear it. But it's happening. If something bad is happening that we BOTH can't hear - then why would I entertain buying a megawatt amp? LOL Maybe one could say the same for you re your test.

What I'm even more interested in is the results of your hearing test. I hope you have insurance for it cuz seeing how you mentioned the probably dollar difference between sending 1 vs. 2 x-overs to Bob...... um..... you know...

Oh! I have to tell hubby that they could use some breaking in time. Actually Jeff - did you run them long enough? 3dzapper/Rick said they could use a warm up.

Patience. I have a fun/interesting opportunity here and don't want to do this 1/2-a**ed.

LOL, Meagain. I think we see eye-to-eye on the humoristic mode of life. Seriously, my point on the dynamics was that you will hear more dynamics. You need a reference for that, not meters or gadgets. Nothing more than an amp and your ears. The difference in xovers was presented the same way - that is, that you'd readily notice it - no meters or gadgets needed.

I don't believe in break-in. Nobody here has ever mentioned breaking-in a new Klipsch speaker from the factory, packed with its original xovers. Well, that's not true. A few have, but that's poppycock. I wonder what Amy's answer to this break-in issue would be from the factory's perspective.[*-)]

I'll spare feedback on the postage issue. [:$] I am a little of a tightwad for sure. But seriously, I thought maybe Bob might say my xover tests bad and tell me to go listen to "x," etc. with the one I have left. That way, he'd have been able to walk me through some sort of test protocol to maybe compare to Rick's xovers differently.

I'm thinking I should start my own thread. Ran a spectrum analyzer prior to installing new x-overs, etc. and wanted some input on that also. Plus, this thread is already at 7 pages. I'm thinking it best but if you all think I should keep it all here - fine. But it will likely turn into War & Peace.

Audio memory (for everyone) is very short...all A/B testing needs to be instantaneous and volume matched. The easiest way to achieve the proper setup in a typical home setting is to play a mono source, put the speakers side by side, modify one of the speakers and then use the balance knob to toggle between (as has already been mentioned).

Me and Colter did some quick comparisons between crossovers and concluded that there certainly was a difference in sound. Was it better? Well if I was in the studio when the recording was made then maybe I might be able to answer that one...But there definetly is a difference - no doubt about it.

Perhaps your microtech is masking the difference...

(I'm all for lots of power, but it isn't exactly the cleanest option available...)