The Road To Forty (NFL Playoff Schedule)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It pisses me off. The superbowl is supposed to be played in a team neutral place. There should be a backup location if you ask me. Rather than playing in Detroit, they should be playing somewhere like Dallas.

This is just about as bad as having the superbowl in San Francisco and Oakland Raiders playing in it.

It pisses me off. The superbowl is supposed to be played in a team neutral place. There should be a backup location if you ask me. Rather than playing in Detroit, they should be playing somewhere like Dallas.

This is just about as bad as having the superbowl in San Francisco and Oakland Raiders playing in it.

Man..... The game hasn't even started and people are already crying....[:D]

Waiiiiit a minute.........

Pittsburgh AND Seattle got 17.5% of the ticket allotment for this game (and BOTH teams distributed 75% of that allotment to season ticket holders). The other 30 teams got slightly over 1% - leaving the remaining 35% to league corporate sponsors (and of course, the 500 pairs that go to random fan drawing winners). So it began as an even distribution of tickets.

The rest is up to "the secondary market". The uneven distribution of fans at the game is a result of what happens in that secondary market - ebay, broker exchanges, and other secondary sales - IOW, people who have tix through normal channels selling to someone else.

Basically, the skewing of the crowd is mostly because they "buy their way in". Fans who didn't get them buy them from those who do not want to use the tickets. If the Seattle fans want to see this game, they can see this game - if they want to. We ARE outside the 7 day advance booking window - airfares aren't that high (although the tickets are). And with all of that Microsoft/big corporate cash, they can afford it.

When Pittsburgh played at Super Bowl XXX in Tempe, the place was two-thirds Steeler fans. It was closer for Dallas (yes, Dallas, supposedly America's Team) than it was for those from Pittsburgh, but that was NO excuse for Steeler fans - they came anyway - with or without tickets.

This year, there is a distinct drop in corporate sponsor bookings, both in terms of length of stay, and the number going. I guess the lack of golf courses and sunny piers has them staying home. To Steeler fan, that's good news - more room for him - there seems to be no shortage of Steeler fan buyers. Those unused tickets will end up on ebay or for sale through a broker's office. Who is going to buy those - Steeler fan, or Seahawk fan? Whoever wants to pay more, or do more to make sure they are in the building, is who will get them.

So when Ford Field is two thirds full of Steeler fans, remember: those fans got there because they WANTED to be there. It would not have mattered if this game were played in Alaska - they would still be there, and in the majority. The Super Bowl IS neutral in terms of ticket distribution to start out - what happens afterward is "survival of the fittest" - or richest/most connected - as well as "who wants it more".

Uh huh.....

What m00n heard.

blah blah blah blah blah.

you can cook, slice and dice the numbers anyway you like it. The fact is, due to local, it makes it much more affordable for people in the area. Sure, there will be some hawk fans, but not nearly as many.

[;)]

They should have it in the New Orleans Superdome every year...

not like the Saints will ever make it to the superbowl....plus it is a fun town to party in...

and the Dome is within stumbling distance to everything..... french quarter is about 10 blocks ....give or take....

Convention center where they normally have the SuperBowl exhibition crap..is about the same 10 block or so...but in different direction....hehehe

Plus...ya can see real destruction... mother nature style...hehehe

I pick the SeaHawks...cause they are NFC team..and we have to roots for our conferences....

"They should have it in the New Orleans Superdome every year..."

AGREED.

New Orleans was, without a doubt, THE BEST Super Bowl site. The 30,000 hotel rooms within 6 blocks of the CBD make it ideal - stadium, Bourbon Street, and rooms all within walking distance. You can take your quart sized beer between either of them [:D] I am most pleased with the NFL and owner's decision to keep the Saints in New Orleans, too - and I cannot wait to see the Super Bowl in NOLA again. I'll go down there for that - whether or not I have tickets. NOLA might make a good football trip, too - go to NOLA to see the Saints - and make sure the tix get sold and the team can stay there.

Don't sweat it, m00n - if the Seahawks are good enough, they'll win in any case. Super Bowl XXXVII (in San Diego) was effectively a Raider home game - didn't help them any! Neither did it help the Los Angeles Rams at Super Bowl XIII, played in the Rose Bowl, when the tinseltown contingent made up 3/4 of that stadium. I think the fact that Seattle is an underdog, when they are the 1 seed playing a 6 seed from the opposing conference, is sufficient locker room material to keep the focus where it should be.

"They should have it in the New Orleans Superdome every year..."

Then m00n would complain that his Seahawks would be playing Miami in that SuperBowl and that they would have home field advantage.

"The fact is, due to local, it makes it much more affordable for people in the area. "

Bottom line is that tickets can be had for the right price. Pittsburgh fans are loyal to their Steelers. So loyal, that there is a 20 year waiting list for season tickets. Pittsburgh fans will remortgage their homes for season tickets, and to pay the $2200 price per ticket to see their Steelers in the Super Bowl is a no-brainer. To some, yes, it is a bit excessive, but to real die hard fans it is well worth it. It is not because people in Pittsburgh have more money or they save money on the cost of a flight, it is because of their strong devotion to the Steelers.

Last time I checked Seattle was a larger metropolitian city, that has much bigger business, and generated more revenue than Pittsburgh will ever see. You mean to tell me that people in Seattle don't have the money to go, yet people in a blue-colar town of Pittsbugh do? What the Seattle fan base should do, is quit spending all their money drinking Starbucks coffee and put that money towards Super Bowl coffee.

Keep in mind how much that home field advantage helped the Steelers. How easily people forget that they beat the number 1, 2, and 3 teams in the AFC all on the road, all of which were higher favorites to win the Super Bowl over Seahawks. Who did Seattle beat, 1st round bye, and then the number 6 seed and number 5 seed.

F it.... I'm not arguing with you guys. If you want to be close minded thats fine.

m00n, I understand what you are saying....

What fun would a Super Bowl be if a little smack talk wasn't involved....just trying to get you going....

Well, you did a good job. I just wanted you guys to understand my point... Thank you for finally giving me what I wanted. [:D][;)]

A week and a half away seems like a year away.

So who thinks this SB will set TV Rating records versus years past?

I dunno...

more then likley it will since the SB has become a bigger tradition every year for a party more then being a good game...

the carolina PAtriots was a great game....

all I hope is that this one is a great game and Seahawks win,,,,hehehe

Hard to tell specifics on the ratings - I gave up predicting the American Public a long time ago. It should be (as most Super Bowls are) one of the highest rated programs of the year. I think it is a better matchup/interest amongst those who want to attend - but that doesn't always translate into nationwide ratings. Often those two aspects diverge.

The "party/unofficial holiday" aspect does endure good viewership. Many will watch this game for the ritual of getting together (the social outlet). As far as I'm concerned, they might as well call it a holiday on the calendar - because I am the least likely to be willing to work that day[:)]

On another note: It appears that "Seahawk Fan" is stepping up to the plate. Hoteliers and travel companies report that while the first couple of days were mostly Steeler fans making the bookings for Detroit, the percentages are now leveling out some. By Wednesday, booking agencies were reporting that it was about a 50/50 split amongst fans making inquiries on Wednesday. Also, it appears the secondary ticket market has at least "leveled off", as fans collectively try to pay less to the brokers for tickets, in hopes that those prices will drop some. There are LOTS of seats being thrown back into the "secondary market", because many corporate sponsors aren't using their tix this year. So while there are lots of buyers, there seem to be lots of sellers, too.

I hope for a good game too. I want to see this game go to overtime - it is, after all, Super Bowl XL - The Extra Large Version[:D] The Super Bowl has never had an overtime. And I think these teams are so evenly matched that this is a distinct possibility - it could be a classic.

I hope for a good game too.

Not me. I'm going to fess up. I want to see the Seahawks kick the ever living shat out of the Steelers. Not gonna happen quit that way but... Would be sweet. [;)]

Looks like the Seahawks faithful belive in their team....

Would be sweet, but we all know that is highly unlikely...Hey as long as you know who will be on top at the end.

Vegas line was out on Sunday before the Seahawks even won, Steelers were favored by 3.5, line has moved to 4.5 as of today and most likely will be at 7 before kickoff. Looks like the world is betting on the Steelers!!!

Is Seattle having any pre-parties at Quest Field to send off the team today? Huge party in Pittsburgh at Heinz field, everyone has been informed to leave early if they are not planning on going as the city will be impossible to get out of after 5!

Honestly I don't know whats going on in Qwest field. I live in Portland which is about 3.5 hours south of Seattle.

Oh and I never said that the Hawks were going to loose, I just said that it wasn't going to be a blow out of the Steelers. Hawks will win [:D], just not by some 21 points. [;)]